Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 2013 Obs

NCCatawba

... Wintry precipitation possible across portions of the mid south
from later this afternoon through early Saturday morning... 

A storm system moving into the mid south later today and tonight
will result in precipitation developing later this afternoon and
continuing into Saturday morning. A cold and dry airmass will be
in place across portions of northeast Arkansas... the Missouri
bootheel... and northwest Tennessee during the onset of
precipitation. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been a chilly 3-day stretch here.  What little sleet and snow fell earlier this week is still sticking around in spots.  The system moving in tonight may start off as a mix but flip over to rain.  I'm just happy to have seen frozen precip 4 times already and it's not even winter yet by the calendar.

Down to 24 this morning for me. Has been chilly this week, though with mild/calm winds working outside hasn't been bad at all. I did encounter some freezing fog on my way to work Tuesday morning on a stretch of road near the South Fork of the Holston River. It was nothing major but interesting to see. The trees looked great in that area as well. Shame I didn't have a camera handy.

What a wild ride this has been for December in terms of temps for NE TN / TRI.  We had two days @ +17 and +20.  A few days ago, we were at +10.  Now, throw in some below normal temps...we are all  the way back to +3.2.  Don't know that we return to neutral by Dec 31, but slightly above looks about right for the month - unless we get an Arctic outbreak around Christmas.  What is interesting is that the return to normal leaves the door open for a normal winter temp wise, all the while w/ a +AO, -PNA, and +NAO.  Imagine what the obs will be if we can flip even one of those indices. 

post-769-0-42490900-1387035240_thumb.jpg

Well, 441 was closed when we left Gatlinburg to come home with no sign of them opening it.  There was a pretty good snow shower in town when we left and there was a dusting at the Laurel Falls trail head so my son got to play a little in the snow.  The mountains had hoarfrost on them all the way down 411 all the way to Fort Mountain so that was beautiful as well.  Came home to 38 and cloudy.

The line is hitting me right now, crazy howling wind and rain. No close lightning yet. Pretty epic storm though, trees are bending.

Edit: initial crazy wind on the front end has passed, now just heavy rain and frequent lightning and thunder. Didn't lose power so all in all, perfect storm here.

The line is hitting me right now, crazy howling wind and rain. No close lightning yet. Pretty epic storm though, trees are bending. Edit: initial crazy wind on the front end has passed, now just heavy rain and frequent lightning and thunder. Didn't lose power so all in all, perfect storm here.

Really well-defined line hitting the plateau.  Will be interesting if it holds up. 

Archived