Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
12/14-12/15 Winter Storm

LVblizzard

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I was told over there an 850 low passing to our n and w "means nothing in this setup". Umm, ok. That subforum is a mess.

It does mean nothing in regards to the overrunning portion of the event because that is so far out ahead of the time the 850 low becomes an issue..it does mean something for anyone who thinks the coastal can produce though, we learned that the hard way on 12/29 last year...I still have some concerns the overrunning may end up quite a bit north so in essense PHL/NYC see nothing and then get light rain with the coastal...2/21/11 is a good example of where that occurred and 2-3-4 days out it looked like we were ground zero for the overrunning and it ended up over the south Hudson Valley of NY

0z models came in colder and snowier NW of I-95, besides for the NAM. GFS has 3-6", CMC has 6-12", Euro has 3-6".

I saw the CMC and that looked like all snow. Based on other sub forums it sounds like the Euro was too. GFS still has us flipping for a time NW of the cities? Either way tonight had good trends and I would take 3-6 in a heart beat. 6-12 would be icing on the cake.

3 Ray? I remember the big one which was 10" in my backyard. What a great start to winter that December was, we were on our way to epic when the month long torch hit on Dec 22....this year has indications that WILL NOT happen again

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2006/04-Dec-05.html

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2006/06-Dec-05.html

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2006/09-Dec-05.html

I guess the middle one missed the NW burbs, it only affected I-95 on south and east, while the last one was mainly I-95 on north and west and missed the shore.  But for I-95 proper, yeah there were 3.

The Lehigh Valley could be set up for significant icing on Saturday night if reality plays out similar to how the NAM depicts things.  Surface temps get to about 28F but not much beyond that until we get to the typical freezing drizzle epilogue.

Nothing like 2-4 inches of wet snow on top of an already crusty 4 inches; then add 0.25 inch of ice on top of that and it's glacier time. 

Snow maps show 2" in Philly, 3-5" in the NW burbs, and 6-9" in the Lehigh Valley and Poconos.

Interesting.  Must be a big difference in the evolution of the warm layer.  NAM had it over 4C for ABE during the height of the ZR late Saturday evening.  Can't wait to see the profiles.

Latest Wxsim with combo of 6z GFS and 12z NAM has the following for my backyard in NW Chesco
Light snow arriving by 10am temp 21.2
Moderate Snow by 1pm temp 24.3 (1.0" on ground)
Heavy Snow by 4pm temp 24.3 (3.0")
Heavy Snow continues at 7pm temp 24.4 (5.0" on ground)
Snow/IP mix at 10pm temp 25.2 (6.0" sn/ip on ground)
Mix to ZR- toward 11pm with another 0.08" falling (total accumulation 6-6.5")
Temp never rises above 26.5 during entire event

Archived