Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
12/14-12/15 Winter Storm

LVblizzard

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest Wxsim with full 12z suite still going with a significant snowstorm followed by significant icing - here is breakdown
by 4pm snow begins to get heavy Temp down to 26.0 with 1.0" on ground
at 7pm Heavy Snow temp down to 24.4 with 3.5" accumulated
Heavy Snow continues thru 10pm by which point 7-8" of snow has accumulated temp down to 23.7
IP mixes in but still heavy at 11pm temp at 23.9 by 11pm 0.92" of liquid equiv has fallen (most of it snow)
Seems to be a battle with a mix of IP/ZR for a couple hours but another 0.34" falls as ZR/IP - highest temp during precip is 26.6

Gonna have to bite the bullet on this one...  downgrade to 1-3 inches back home in the Trenton area today.

Ray I noticed Mt Holly downgraded Lehigh Valley as well in both snow and ice (slightly). Do you have any insight on their rationale? More sleet expected knocking down snow totals possibly? Or is the precip just less than originally expected? Thanks.

Ray I noticed Mt Holly downgraded Lehigh Valley as well in both snow and ice (slightly). Do you have any insight on their rationale? More sleet expected knocking down snow totals possibly? Or is the precip just less than originally expected? Thanks.

I don't know what they are specifically thinking, just what I'm thinking... which is that the warm air is looking more predominant and the precip so far has underperformed.

I don't know what they are specifically thinking, just what I'm thinking... which is that the warm air is looking more predominant and the precip so far has underperformed.

Do those snow and ice forecast maps usually show storm totals, or additional snow and ice amounts to what has already fallen? Always appreciate your responses and your willingness to answer questions from us wx neophytes!

how much was I saying yesterday to expect colder than modeled ..   :santa:

14.8 here.   and falling temps the last 3 hours. 

plus, I hear it's snowing in SNJ now.. 

It won't last down there.

And surface temps won't have much to do with what happens above the surface.

I don t remember that. I do remember u "forecasting" that guidance would come in colder to which almost every piece of data came in warmer. This is known as wishcasting. Enjoy your snow BS! :-)

Bacon Strips, on 13 Dec 2013 - 12:38 PM, said :

I'm almost positive tonight's runs will be even colder.

Even if the models don't show it tonight, still expect it tomorrow.  The models didn't show SNJ getting close to a foot of snow.... 6 hours before the event either.

not trying to brag...but you asked.    :rolleyes:

I don t remember that. I do remember u "forecasting" that guidance would come in colder to which almost every piece of data came in warmer. This is known as wishcasting. Enjoy your snow BS! :-)

I'm almost positive tonight's runs will be even colder.

Even if the models don't show it tonight, still expect it tomorrow.  The models didn't show SNJ getting close to a foot of snow.... 6 hours before the event either.

not trying to brag...but you asked.    :rolleyes:

I hope for your sake you r right. Best wishes and good luck!

Radar showing warm air taking over quickly....

The freezing line has been down there all day.  not surprising.

I'm kinda surprised about mt holly's afternoon discussion about the model warming...and decreasing the snow amounts.

while Nowcasting shows temps are somewhat below forecasted levels for northern and central NJ currently.    And with these bands about to move in....1 to 3 inches of snow an hour could happen in no time. 

The freezing line has been down there all day. not surprising.

I'm kinda surprised about mt holly's afternoon discussion about the model warming...and decreasing the snow amounts.

while Nowcasting shows temps are somewhat below forecasted levels for northern and central NJ currently. And with these bands about to move in....1 to 3 inches of snow an hour could happen in no time.

I only went to accu weather, but the surge of warm air is impressive. What a bummer...

Archived