Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kamu', you handle yourself very well here and definitely don't come off as a weenie. I liked your original post referencing the change of emotion during a change in a snow forecast. It used to irritate me also when I used to watch TV Mets, thankfully for other medium such as this board ands other social media wx based sites it no longer an issue. You checking in here daily is a contribution to the board, asking questions others may not want to ask....no way dude/dudette you're a contributor to this board. If anyone is a weenie in this forum, it's me. The emotions I go through during a potential moderate snow storm...I could rival the great Ji in the mid Atlantic forum. I just hide behind smartphone / keyboard lol. We need to grow this forum back to where it once was.... and having the crew we have is a step in the right direction. By the way, I just found out how to read a sounding, so I wouldn't let what you dont know weather dictate whether you are a non-contributing weenie or not.

Thanks VWF, I appreciate your kind words...and I'll keep trying and learning.

Models continue to show a decent system around the 26th-27th as I noted yesterday. There appears to be something even larger following behind with a possible triple phase shaping up for the last few days of the month. What can we take away from this? That we are clearly entering a cold and snowy period next week thru the end of the month.

Models continue to show a decent system around the 26th-27th as I noted yesterday. There appears to be something even larger following behind with a possible triple phase shaping up for the last few days of the month. What can we take away from this? That we are clearly entering a cold and snowy period next week thru the end of the month.

Timing for any significant storm will have to be nearly perfect as the NAO is predicted to reamin positive during that period. Otherwise just nickel and dime events. 

Timing for any significant storm will have to be nearly perfect as the NAO is predicted to reamin positive during that period. Otherwise just nickel and dime events.

But we should have the -epo and even the mjo working in our favor.

Ray,

Saw the post you made in the Western thread about all of the Sierra Nevada burning if the region doesn't get some more snow.  Tongue in cheek I'm sure but it does look like the situation could become severe out there if the snowpack doesn't build up later this winter.  TWC has mentioned this some but overall I haven't seen much concern about this.  California I think depends on the snowpack for most of it's water. Have the people in your office had much to say about this?

Ray,

Saw the post you made in the Western thread about all of the Sierra Nevada burning if the region doesn't get some more snow.  Tongue in cheek I'm sure but it does look like the situation could become severe out there if the snowpack doesn't build up later this winter.  TWC has mentioned this some but overall I haven't seen much concern about this.  California I think depends on the snowpack for most of it's water. Have the people in your office had much to say about this?

Our SOO did a web presentation a few days ago but it just covered the basics, I.E. we're well below normal with not much hope of improvement.  Didn't really cover the potential fire issues, just that very low river flows are expected again this year, and very low reservoir levels should continue or worsen.  CWA population is less than 100,000 (versus, say, Mt. Holly which is over 10,000,000), so its not quite a panic, but yeah few are happy about the lack of precip.  Except me, and that's for the sole reason that I forecast it back in November.  Otherwise this winter is a real stinker.

The Reno and adjacent California offices would surely have more to say on this, maybe not yet though.

That's great, thanks a ton famartin. I just went on google and found some great pictures of a split flow, but couldn't really find any of a ridge bridge. Do you or anyone else know where I can find one? 

DT posted a photo that shows it decently enough.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/41742-why-the-ao-warm-winter-argument-is-in-deep-doo/page-4#entry2642962

Our SOO did a web presentation a few days ago but it just covered the basics, I.E. we're well below normal with not much hope of improvement.  Didn't really cover the potential fire issues, just that very low river flows are expected again this year, and very low reservoir levels should continue or worsen.  CWA population is less than 100,000 (versus, say, Mt. Holly which is over 10,000,000), so its not quite a panic, but yeah few are happy about the lack of precip.  Except me, and that's for the sole reason that I forecast it back in November.  Otherwise this winter is a real stinker.

The Reno and adjacent California offices would surely have more to say on this, maybe not yet though.

Thanks for the reply.   It's funny how we here in the East love the nice PNA ridge but in the overall scheme of things, especially food prices later on, it may be a good thing if it doesn't last too long.

Thanks for the reply.   It's funny how we here in the East love the nice PNA ridge but in the overall scheme of things, especially food prices later on, it may be a good thing if it doesn't last too long.

JB mentions extreme cold on bare ground hammering the winter wheat crop in the western plains.

We could be looking at a three week cold period.

Well I told my wife this morning to watch out for the polar vortex that is coming.

She laughed and informed this is the heart of winter right. What is all the noise about exactly.

I also find it amusing that we are entering the typical snowiest part of winter and most talk is about how great the pattern is for snow.

I was always led to believe that we got a few good events a season during this time period.

Cheers.

Archived