• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

famartin, on 01 Jan 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

I think the greater wind would result in lower visibility overall.  You would have the same *amount* of matter in the air, but distributed in finer bits. 

Second this. Any flizzard can be crazy when you're doing 30mph down the road. The principle isn't any different.

Where I was going with this was that while depth of snow/amount of accumulated snow from a given event definitely matters (the more the better), being an enjoyer of a nice storm which in my mind includes wind, if I had a choice between no wind and 12" of snow at a ratio of 15:1  vs.  the same snow accompanied by 20-30 mph winds for a few hours at heavy rates reduced to a lower ratio and a depth of 9" by the wind, I might choose the latter. When it snows I want reduced visibility, ideally 500 feet or less. The strong wind would seem to help reduce visibility with the waves you get with the snow going almost horizontal. And the sound of the wind in the trees is awesome.
All that to say that while I do like maximum snow depth, I could give up a little depth (and ratio) for some wind.
How each of us enjoys weather and snow is very subjective obviously. I could say "snow depth isn't everything" and some would say, "No, it's the only thing!".
The discussion in the storm thread over ratios and wind, of which we will apparently have both (later) tomorrow night, inspired this train of thought  :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I miss this:

mtholly.png

Was digging up old files, trying to find others that I have from that same year.  The storm coming looks decent, it's just been too long since I've seen at least a foot of snow (almost 4 years now)!

Some pics from that storm for nostalgia sake:

xP2060013.jpg

xP2060018.jpg

P2100010sm.jpg

I'm looking for some sound advice, I'm a plant manager in a PTFE production facility.  We run 24 hrs/7days a week.  I already have people wanting to know if were closing and if we do close, will they still be paid.  I adhere to the State of Emergency rules when there is one, but my point is if I can make it to work ( I live 30 minutes away from the plant ) is it to much to expect to have my employees also make the effort? 

I'm looking for some sound advice, I'm a plant manager in a PTFE production facility.  We run 24 hrs/7days a week.  I already have people wanting to know if were closing and if we do close, will they still be paid.  I adhere to the State of Emergency rules when there is one, but my point is if I can make it to work ( I live 30 minutes away from the plant ) is it to much to expect to have my employees also make the effort? 

There's a bit more to it than that... consider that a normal workday's traffic on the roads during snow tends to clog them up, which is not just a hassle; it can delay emergency vehicles, etc.

I'm looking for some sound advice, I'm a plant manager in a PTFE production facility. We run 24 hrs/7days a week. I already have people wanting to know if were closing and if we do close, will they still be paid. I adhere to the State of Emergency rules when there is one, but my point is if I can make it to work ( I live 30 minutes away from the plant ) is it to much to expect to have my employees also make the effort?

are they staggered shifts or does the whole switch over at the same time? I will say that I respect employers who allow employees the option to come in early to avoid the worst conditions

are they staggered shifts or does the whole plant start at the same time? I will say that I respect employers who allow employees the option to come in early to avoid the worst conditions

The shifts are staggered, all employees will be on site by 6pm, and will work until 6am.  I know the peak of the storm will be between these hours.  My biggest corncern is there safety while attempting to go home.

The shifts are staggered, all employees will be on site by 6pm, and will work until 6am.  I know the peak of the storm will be between these hours.  My biggest corncern is there safety while attempting to go home.

That's a tough one. Getting in today probably won't be a problem unless things get started earlier than expected, but 5-6 am tomorrow could be still in the peak of the storm. Traffic might not be bad, but travel may be tough. The day shift coming in will have to deal with it too.

yeah thats a bummer.....dont know if u are allowed to but extending shifts....allowing those there to remain til conditiions improve and letting next shifters come in early to avoid the worst would be ideal imo.....I might be biased on this....in 2010 my wife practically begged to remain at her job at a group home for people with developmental disabilities knowing near blizzard conditions would develop prior to the start of her next shift....they refused to authorize it sent her home then in the worst of the storm, 2 hours before the start of her shift insisted she come in immediately since other incoming staff were stranded and they would fall below state mandated staffing levels...I myself was 50 miles away for my job....while attempting to clear her car she stepped on a patch of ice hidden by the snow and severely rolled her ankle....she was unable to work for 3 months and needless to say left that employer as soon as she could....its right to expect staff to work, not right to insist they must change over shifts in the worst conditions imo

Now I am a bit concerned about power outage - so time to stack more wood a bit closer to the house (that Sandy wood burns mighty fine).... Oh and make a beer run :-)

For the most part it will be light  (as in powdery/higher than normal ratio, not high, just higher than normal for the area) snow as the wind ramps up and the loose limbs have been trimmed up rather well from previous storms.  Do to the empty trees, I don't think power outage will be such a huge concern to the POCO.  It's also late night so traffic will be limited (less drivers in bad conditions=less worry). 

are they staggered shifts or does the whole switch over at the same time? I will say that I respect employers who allow employees the option to come in early to avoid the worst conditions

I agree with the above bolded sentiment.  I don't know the process at your particular plant and I don't know your employer's policies, but, if it were up to me and if you can maintain some level of production with a skeleton crew (if necessary), then you would probably sleep a lot better (and your employees would be a whole lot happier with you and your employer both today and in the future) if you offered some version of what the Feds like to call "liberal leave policy".  In other words, welcome those who are willing and able to come in (and/or stay through the worst of the weather), but, at the same time, if humanly possible, don't punish those who can't/won't come in or who want to leave early, etc.  The simple fact is that some people just aren't comfortable driving in the snow and/or have family situations that make getting "stranded at work" by the weather more difficult.  They shouldn't be punished for that.     

Archived