joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

off-topic but still significant. 

X 1.2 flare....directly earth facing just occurred with sunspot 1943. CME detected.  First X-flare of the year, and possibly strongest earth-facing one of the cycle -

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42313-x-flare-aimed-right-at-earth/

Too bad it's supposed to be cloudy tonight - sounds like a chance to view northern lights at lower latitudes than usual (late tonight).

Did Mount Holly just go ALL GFS on the overnight shift? Forecast this morning has daily temps 5 deg+ warmer as compared to last evening, and the AFD not once mentions the Euro, which has been generally colder than the GFS. I know the real arctic cold air, should it materialize, is beyond this period, but odd that only the GFS/NAM was apparently used to generate a 7 day outlook, which now has temps normal to above through the period.

Had this thought earlier while driving.

It's been a long time since I watched a weather forecast on a local TV station, but I remember at times being irritated by apparent glee and/or relief expressed at times by the news anchor (and an appropriately empathic response by the met/weatherperson) when a snow forecast was downgraded. Of course as a snow lover it bothered me to have snow taken out of the forecast, but it bothered me in another way that it seemed to be not politically correct to want it to snow (on TV at least). Do TV mets feel pressure to keep it in check if they do like snow? I suppose the obvious answer is to objectively pass on information without any emotional attachment, but I do recall these kinds of exchanges taking place. This is not a big deal to me, just a thought. Maybe it's been discussed before...

It's been a long time since I watched a weather forecast on a local TV station, but I remember at times being irritated by apparent glee and/or relief expressed at times by the news anchor (and an appropriately empathic response by the met/weatherperson) when a snow forecast was downgraded. Of course as a snow lover it bothered me to have snow taken out of the forecast, but it bothered me in another way that it seemed to be not politically correct to want it to snow (on TV at least). Do TV mets feel pressure to keep it in check if they do like snow? I suppose the obvious answer is to objectively pass on information without any emotional attachment, but I do recall these kinds of exchanges taking place. This is not a big deal to me, just a thought. Maybe it's been discussed before...

Here in the West, snow is a good thing in its correct place (the mountains), where its vital for water supply and of course also important for the ski industry. 

Back East, its just simply not really important for water supply, and the ski industry is not as important especially outside of the mountains, so for the vast majority of people, big snow is bad.  I mostly see groans among my friends on Facebook, for example, when I mention snow is coming, at least outside of that very first one or two.  The average person sees snow as a big pain in the butt.

It's been a long time since I watched a weather forecast on a local TV station, but I remember at times being irritated by apparent glee and/or relief expressed at times by the news anchor (and an appropriately empathic response by the met/weatherperson) when a snow forecast was downgraded. Of course as a snow lover it bothered me to have snow taken out of the forecast, but it bothered me in another way that it seemed to be not politically correct to want it to snow (on TV at least). Do TV mets feel pressure to keep it in check if they do like snow? I suppose the obvious answer is to objectively pass on information without any emotional attachment, but I do recall these kinds of exchanges taking place. This is not a big deal to me, just a thought. Maybe it's been discussed before...

What bothers me is during the downgrading of the forecast from snow to less or no snow it's "we have good news" and it's to cover the blown forecast. Good news my butt, most TV Mets love snowstorms just like us. Additionally, these potential storms give TV Mets a sense of purpose in an otherwise "dull" job ....I call bs alert.

What bothers me is during the downgrading of the forecast from snow to less or no snow it's "we have good news" and it's to cover the blown forecast. Good news my butt, most TV Mets love snowstorms just like us. Additionally, these potential storms give TV Mets a sense of purpose in an otherwise "dull" job.

Again, you are not in-tune with the general public, which doesn't like snow.  Hearing that less snow is forecast than previously expected makes the majority of folks breath a sigh of relief.

Again, you are not in-tune with the general public, which doesn't like snow. Hearing that less snow is forecast than previously expected makes the majority of folks breath a sigh of relief.

Ray come on sure I am...okay I get what you are saying but next time watch how excited these TV Mets get, they are thrilled as much as we are....they can barely contain their excitement. The good news part is definitely a distraction to cover their mistakes. I'm convinced of it, I have dealt with many people in my profession to spot a fraud. I know and understand how difficult it is to forecast weather, but this has more of an emotional effect of TV viewers it affects businesses too.

Ray come on sure I am...okay I get what you are saying but next time watch how excited these TV Mets get, they are thrilled as much as we are....they can barely contain their excitement. The good news part is definitely a distraction to cover their mistakes. I'm convinced of it, I have dealt with many people in my profession to spot a fraud. I know and understand how difficult it is to forecast weather, but this has more of an emotional effect of TV viewers it affects businesses too.

Still you aren't getting it.  Besides the general public being happy that snow isn't going to be big, you need to consider some things about TV mets (and mets in general, in fact):

1) A big storm inevitably means much longer hours at work for most mets.  Its stressful.

2) Not all mets actually like snow.  Some are severe weather nuts or hurricane nuts and couldn't care less about snow.

Archived