joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2013-2014 Winter Sports discussion

Jonger

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a perfect day outside.  Ice Skating...  Sledding...  Tobogganing... only thing we didn't do is skiing!!! We just love where we live!!! :sled::snowing::snowwindow:

Glad you had fun... 

My night in Gaylord sucked last night. 120 miles on a new snowmobile and it wouldn't start... Just totally dead.

$220 tow bill is being sent to BRP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking like the lake effect snow is really going to start to dwindle with all the ice forming on the great lakes especially in the western UP and Keweenaw areas. The eastern UP looks like they will still be getting some for a while with all the open water on Superior over that way. Lower Lake MI is still open pretty good also. Lake Erie is pretty much locked up with ice so Ohio might be missing out on the lake effect snow as well.  The snowmobling might take a slight hit up in the areas that count on lake effect snow but at least the ice will be safe for ice fishing.

Yea, I have been watching the ice coverage increase as well not looking all that great for End of Jan and rest of the winter season if these cold temps persist. 

Here is a couple pics from sledding over the New years break around my area.

1544562_10201120261508216_1936573041_n.j1492269_10201117322154734_823554844_o.jp551031_10201112275268565_1912854398_n.jp

This was my Brother In-law on his Orange Rush 800, the Red Rush 800 is mine. I am usually a lot better at keeping it right side up.

1521704_10201112276428594_416541298_n.jp

You mean Trail 7?? If so, actually it was in good shape on my way into work this morning, was groomed last night and was pretty cold so it setup/ Same as Trail 4, but now with the temps rising and the inevitable sled traffic increase (seen them coming  up all;ready) trails will be shot by tomorrow. This will be especially true if we get the rain/freezing rain tonight and tomorrow. The time to ride the was during the middle of this week, best I've seen a long while.

Need some system snow in the worst way, almost all LES so far.

You mean Trail 7?? If so, actually it was in good shape on my way into work this morning, was groomed last night and was pretty cold so it setup/ Same as Trail 4, but now with the temps rising and the inevitable sled traffic increase (seen them coming  up all;ready) trails will be shot by tomorrow. This will be especially true if we get the rain/freezing rain tonight and tomorrow. The time to ride the was during the middle of this week, best I've seen a long while.

Need some system snow in the worst way, almost all LES so far.

Trail 7 is usually trashed on just about all Saturdays, regardless of weather. I'm going to store my sled in Kalkaska after the following weekend, we are heading to Copper Harbor from St Ignace on the weekend of the 19th.

It looks like northern lower should hold up after this weekend, doesn't look like you guys will go over 35℉.

Trail 7 is usually trashed on just about all Saturdays, regardless of weather. I'm going to store my sled in Kalkaska after the following weekend, we are heading to Copper Harbor from St Ignace on the weekend of the 19th. It looks like northern lower should hold up after this weekend, doesn't look like you guys will go over 35℉.

Tell me about it, my community is right next to Trail 7, although my house is about a 1/4 back away from the trail, but we only ride trail 7 to get gas in waters and that's it. UP is def the place to be right now, they are looking goo for this whole winter, i am hoping to head up their early next month. 

Yea we won't be hurt to bad by the mini torch, downstate looks much worse however.

Tell me about it, my community is right next to Trail 7, although my house is about a 1/4 back away from the trail, but we only ride trail 7 to get gas in waters and that's it. UP is def the place to be right now, they are looking goo for this whole winter, i am hoping to head up their early next month. 

Yea we won't be hurt to bad by the mini torch, downstate looks much worse however.

We are used to the snow, rain/rinse repeat cycle down here, no big deal. That's one of the reasons we have 2nd home up north, we really enjoy snowmobiling and playing in the snow. I always found it funny when people that live south of West Branch complaining that they don't have snow in there yards from Nov-March. It would be like someone living in Gaylord bitching because they couldn't play golf 12 months a year up there.

It will hit us, but I would be shocked (and P*SSED) if we lose most of our snowpack. Probably have a glacier when its over.

It will hit us, but I would be shocked (and P*SSED) if we lose most of our snowpack. Probably have a glacier when its over.

So I was half right. We will have a glacier....but we also lost most of our snowpack. We were at 17" last Monday. Eight days later we are a 4" on average (which includes higher drifts but also bare spots).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Enjoy.  Last weekends trip to Boyne was it for me. 

Great snow sports winter!!! :snowing::ski::sled:

Some of the yoopers who owned Bars/hotels were complaining about it being too good. Many people didn't bother going all the way up in a winter that had good snow over the entire state. The Gaylord trail system was probably hammered all winter, my cousin and I skip over that area and go straight to the UP, don't feel like battling the traffic.

• 4 weeks later...

We'll just got back from our last snowmobile ride of this great long season. We were up in the UP near White fish point over the long weekend playing in the snow, great way to spend Easter and close out the season. There was a ton of snow left up there, 2' on the flat and deeper then that in the woods. This picture is my son and I on the shore of Lake Superior at crisp point lighthouse. Lots of ice on the lakes up there for late April. We rode on a bunch of them, even superior for a bit. We put almost 150 miles on our snowmobiles with over 1/2 of them off trail boondocking. This was the 2nd Easter in a row that we spent snowmobiling only last year we were ridding down near our place at Higgins Lake.

post-9740-0-06465300-1398163205_thumb.jp

Archived