• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Reconsider majoring in meteorology!

Grades have nothing to do with how qualified you are. You should make the distinction between how qualified someone may be and how well they happened to perform in college. Thankfully employers look at other aspects including internship experiences, student projects, and forecasting/communications ability as opposed to simply basing qualification on grades. That would be silly. I think every undergrad student can name various students who had 4.0's and made the cirriculum look easy but couldn't forecast a lick or communicate with non-meteorologists without mentioning QG Omega/Chi.

Thankfully employers don't look at grades only or I never would have had a chance based off my below average Calc grades. I guess that means I am unqualified?

Moral of the story here to potential meteorology majors, don't quit just because your calculus scores happen to be low or you have a less than stellar GPA. It doesn't matter if you show dedication and hard work.

I agree it doesn't matter much for those interested in forecasting, mostly because there's very few forecasting classes in most curriculums, but I think class performance does matter, at least to some extent, in research.

No need to apologize Don, you didn't create that impression to me, so no worries. Things are going well on my end, and I'm grateful to be where I am now. I do remember my struggles a few years back quite vividly, however... so the tone of some of my posts on here may have been a bit of sour grapes on my part. Anyway, thanks Don, and I hope you're also doing well.

Thanks, Terpeast. All is well with me.

Have a great holiday season.

We all know this is a difficult field to get into. I have been very fortunate though as I graduated last year and didn't get one, but two jobs!

What helped me get started was my internship at a television station. I wasn't sure I wanted to do tv, but I knew I did not want to do research because I was not good at the math. So I interned at a station in DC and then after searching for a tv jobs for 5 months after graduating, they offered me a job as a weather producer. I think much of it is luck, but I also worked very hard as an intern.

At the same time, I was offered a job as a weekend meteorologist in Salisbury where I work now so I work 6 days a week and sometimes 7 days a week. Yes, it is hard and a lot of traveling, but I enjoy doing both jobs most of the time. I just keep telling myself that this isn't going to be like this forever and it is temporary.

If you like it enough, you will find ways to make it work and again I think a lot of it has to do with being at the right place at the right time and having connections as well.

Don't give up if you have your heart set on it. Most of my friends that didn't decide to go to grad school have jobs now so there are jobs out there.

We all know this is a difficult field to get into. I have been very fortunate though as I graduated last year and didn't get one, but two jobs!

What helped me get started was my internship at a television station. I wasn't sure I wanted to do tv, but I knew I did not want to do research because I was not good at the math. So I interned at a station in DC and then after searching for a tv jobs for 5 months after graduating, they offered me a job as a weather producer. I think much of it is luck, but I also worked very hard as an intern.

At the same time, I was offered a job as a weekend meteorologist in Salisbury where I work now so I work 6 days a week and sometimes 7 days a week. Yes, it is hard and a lot of traveling, but I enjoy doing both jobs most of the time. I just keep telling myself that this isn't going to be like this forever and it is temporary.

If you like it enough, you will find ways to make it work and again I think a lot of it has to do with being at the right place at the right time and having connections as well.

Don't give up if you have your heart set on it. Most of my friends that didn't decide to go to grad school have jobs now so there are jobs out there.

I think in alot of cases internships are key to getting a job after graduation. Partly because of on-the-job experience you can put on your resume, but partly because sometimes they turn into actual jobs. I and three of my classmates got internships at NCAR at about the same time, mine unfortunately didn't but two of theirs turned into full-time jobs after graduation. The other guy is now the Chief Met at Colorado Springs TV station. But, my internship directly got me my first job, after I had turned down one position in Houston. Of course this was in 2000 when the job market wasn't so depressed. But I think with great grades, strong computer skills (Unix, shell scripting, Perl, FORTRAN), and a strong internship and yes, luck, you will be a shoo-in for finding work after graduation. It helps too to not be picky and to be able to move anywhere.

Yeah. You definately have to turn over some rocks to find the good jobs and be open to moving. I did that and the job I have now is ouside of the country.

I think in alot of cases internships are key to getting a job after graduation. Partly because of on-the-job experience you can put on your resume, but partly because sometimes they turn into actual jobs. I and three of my classmates got internships at NCAR at about the same time, mine unfortunately didn't but two of theirs turned into full-time jobs after graduation. The other guy is now the Chief Met at Colorado Springs TV station. But, my internship directly got me my first job, after I had turned down one position in Houston. Of course this was in 2000 when the job market wasn't so depressed. But I think with great grades, strong computer skills (Unix, shell scripting, Perl, FORTRAN), and a strong internship and yes, luck, you will be a shoo-in for finding work after graduation. It helps too to not be picky and to be able to move anywhere.

This thread is very insightful and reinforces what I already believed. I was considering majoring in Meteorology at one point in High School but am now working towards a BA in Information Technology. A minor in mathematics or chemistry would be useful because I am interested in Environmental Science as well. There is probably a difference between a "hobby" and an "interest", and making a hobby out of a career doesn't make any sense to me.

:P

Good luck to everyone who is majoring in meteorology.

This thread is very insightful and reinforces what I already believed. I was considering majoring in Meteorology at one point in High School but am now working towards a BA in Information Technology. A minor in mathematics or chemistry would be useful because I am interested in Environmental Science as well. There is probably a difference between a "hobby" and an "interest", and making a hobby out of a career doesn't make any sense to me.

But having an occupation that is your hobby makes perfect sense :).

But having an occupation that is your hobby makes perfect sense :).

It may seem reasonable on the surface but I wouldn't want my job to limit my hobby. You might also lose interest in the weather if it becomes "chore" and weather is something that I deeply treasure. I'm sure the people who work in the private sector "sweatshops" know about this.

Yes, outside of the USA but no, not Siberia.

When looking for work after graduation I applied for a job way out in the middle of the Pacific, I think at the Kwajalein missile range. They called my references but I didn't get called. Would have taken it! I ended up in Iowa. :axe:

If you can handle the math in a meteorology program, just do engineering, preferably electrical or computer. Those folks are in high-demand right now.

Isn't there at least something to be said for at least being interested in your major? Electrical and computer engineering don't interest me in the slightest.

Yeah, the sweatshops will break your spirit after a while and are nothing like what those dreaming of a career in meteorology probably envision. Most "wash out" or move onto another career after a while, the best forecasters move onto bigger and better, and then there are those who can tolorate it and are content busting their butts for peanuts - It takes a very special type to do that.

It may seem reasonable on the surface but I wouldn't want my job to limit my hobby. You might also lose interest in the weather if it becomes "chore" and weather is something that I deeply treasure. I'm sure the people who work in the private sector "sweatshops" know about this.

If you can handle the math in a meteorology program, just do engineering, preferably electrical or computer. Those folks are in high-demand right now.

Exactly right. Way more demand & much higher pay. I actually thought about a met degree at one point many yrs ago but everyone I talked to said go into engineering (or finance). They weren't wrong and likely even moreso today. Probably more private sector met opportunities exist today than 20-30 yrs ago but the engineering demand is much greater as the US continues to produce increasing volumes of WalMart greeters w/ hs diplomas.

There is something there, but hobbies generally don't pay the bills.

Let me say this. Every successful meteorologist, meaning every meteorologist that was happy with his/her career, that I have ever met, has known since they were young that they wanted to be a meteorologist.

If you're doing it because it's interesting, you probably don't love it enough to persist. I find it's a calling, if you think of it as a hobby, maybe keep it a hobby.

Let me say this. Every successful meteorologist, meaning every meteorologist that was happy with his/her career, that I have ever met, has known since they were young that they wanted to be a meteorologist.

If you're doing it because it's interesting, you probably don't love it enough to persist. I find it's a calling, if you think of it as a hobby, maybe keep it a hobby.

Yes, good post. It requires a lot of dedication. A related scenario is with liberal arts majors. I often see friends and family members who ask for my advice on their intent to pursue a degree in something specialized like anthropology or US history. I ask them if they are really ready to devote themselves to at least a graduate degree (most likely a PhD) and years and years of very low pay with a low ceiling for long-term earning potential. That scares many of them away.

NC State requires us to get a C- in our Calculus courses. I had a B going into the final exam, but I think I did pretty poorly on it, so I'll probably end up with a C. I'm God awful in Chemistry, as well, but managed to do well on the final exam and got a B- in there. My other grades are B+s or As.

That brings up a question that's been in the back of my mind that maybe a Met could answer...does Chemistry ever come in handy in this field? I have a hard time thinking of a time where it would.

That's an excellent way to go. Good luck.

That brings up a question that's been in the back of my mind that maybe a Met could answer...does Chemistry ever come in handy in this field? I have a hard time thinking of a time where it would.

The atmosphere is a gas. We have to have a background in chemistry even if we don't use it much in meteorology. It is used quite often, however, in the fields atmospheric chemistry and climatological modeling, for instance.

Yes. A lot of atmospheric pollution stuff deals directly with chemistry. Fate and transport, the chemistry and makeup of the pollution, etc. Not to mention that to understand the atmosphere yu have to have an understanding of its constitutents. It may not be using the details from your Gen Chem class but you do deal with some chemistry stuff (though obviously moreso physics).