12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Cut off Nor'easter threat 10/10-10/12

Brian5671

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are are hysterical, how about we wait until the event unfolds. It doesn't have to come together exactly as the models are showing it. Remember models are only a guide not a forecast. I am sure we will get our fair share of rain. However, nobody needs 4,5,6 inches of rain in a 2-3 span. A couple inches would help us out greatly.

If the models bust this bad within 24 hrs then I have little confidence in what they might show this winter.

If you look objectively at the American models, they only showed the 2-3.5" rain amounts for two run cycles (not including 06Z & 18Z) and at 12Z today, both NAM and GFS cut down on amounts drastically from prior runs. The splitting of the energy and moisture with one area over Md, se Pa, and southern NJ, and another area moving out toward Cape Cod or even the open ocean waters, is characteristic of the weak and poorly organized low pressure center and the dominant high pressure to the north. The underlying problem for this to get going here is too much blocking.

WX/PT

If you look objectively at the American models, they only showed the 2-3.5" rain amounts for two run cycles (not including 06Z & 18Z) and at 12Z today, both NAM and GFS cut down on amounts drastically from prior runs. The splitting of the energy and moisture with one area over Md, se Pa, and southern NJ, and another area moving out toward Cape Cod or even the open ocean waters, is characteristic of the weak and poorly organized low pressure center and the dominant high pressure to the north. The underlying problem for this to get going here is too much blocking.

WX/PT

good post and explanation for what might be going on here.

good post and explanation for what might be going on here.

The NAM and the GFS both were advertising that as a possible scenario two days ago but they both lost it yesterday. The NAM was plenty wet, especially over NJ at 12z today. I'm dumbfounded at how you can say the NAM cut back totals at 12z. It simply shifted the axis of heavy rainfall west.

Cold cloud tops are now building all the way down the line from the Bahamas to the convection off the NJ coast. Maybe just maybe things will start to improve soon.

Eventually, the high pressure will scoot away a bit and the storm itself will slowly drift northward. We'll still get our rain tonight. 

Cold cloud tops are now building all the way down the line from the Bahamas to the convection off the NJ coast. Maybe just maybe things will start to improve soon.

Whatever builds off the NJ coast is probably for central and southern NJ. The stuff further south will likely head up toward Cape Cod or the ocean waters s and e. Up in the NYC area, we will get rain as the upper low drifts n-ward and we are the backside of system as showers rotate around it sometime later on, tonight & a part of Friday. But this should not be a big deal as the system will be shunted to the south and east over that time and moving away. Too much blocking.

WX/PT

Whatever builds off the NJ coast is probably for central and southern NJ. The stuff further south will likely head up toward Cape Cod or the ocean waters s and e. Up in the NYC area, we will get rain as the upper low drifts n-ward and we are the backside of system as showers rotate around it sometime later on, tonight & a part of Friday. But this should not be a big deal as the system will be shunted to the south and east over that time and moving away. Too much blocking.

WX/PT

I can certainly understand your reasoning, however I think we need to let this play out.

Infrared is finally starting to looks a little better with cold cloud tops building off the mid-atlantic coast. As a lover of huge rainstorms, this is very frustrating for me.

3 or 4" of rain over 3 or 4 days is hardly a huge rainstorm. This was never anticipated to be anything truly major. I see this as being moderate rain at times, light rain at other times, with a gusty NE wind sometimes, more often on the coast.

Archived