• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post-Tropical Cyclone Humberto

Not necessarily. (I never assume an upgrade with an advisory means that intensity was reached three hours before.) But I agree it will be a cleaner win if the 11 am advisory keeps it at TS intensity.

Well the best track time intervals are 3 hours removed from the operational intervals (as I'm sure you know), so an operational 15z upgrade usually means it becomes a hurricane at either 12z or 18z on the best track. I'd rather not have that lingering uncertainty.

Or, you know, we could be normal human beings and not care about what hour some TC near Cape Verde reaches 65kt. :P

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the best track time intervals are 3 hours removed from the operational intervals (as I'm sure you know), so an operational 15z upgrade usually means it becomes a hurricane at either 12z or 18z on the best track. I'd rather not have that lingering uncertainty.

Or, you know, we could be normal human beings and not care about what hour some TC near Cape Verde reaches 65kt. :P

Ha ha ha.   :D

Yeah, they're at different intervals, but-- for example-- the 21Z advisory package reflects the estimated intensity at 21Z.  (The initial time is 21Z.)  If the storm was deemed to have just achieved hurricane intensity then, I don't know that the 18Z intensity will show that new intensity in the best track.  It could be that they reflect it for 00Z.

This having been said... I think the NHC is more precise Re: upgrade timing for systems near the coast, under recon surveillance.  I can imagine that for systems like this one-- far from land and analyzed only via satellite-- they go with the 18Z analysis for the 21Z advisory.

Yep, Humberto looks like he's sucking on SAL.  :whistle:

More like in-situ mid-latitude air... there is little to no SAL coming off the African coast and getting into the core of Humberto with a deep mid-latitude trough around 25N / 20W (the trough reflection extends to the mid-levels, deflecting potentially SAL related air well northward of Humberto

http://tropic.ssec.wisc.edu/real-time/sal/splitE/movies/splitE5.html

Convection beginning to fire near and over the eye. Still looks meh overall. Maybe DMAX helps out.

I don't care if we break the record honestly. Just make this a hurricane!  :cry:

http://tropicaltidbits.com/satellite/images/eatl_ir.gif

I hope it dies.  It's a boring system.

P.S.  The convection is still firing primarily on the S side.

just watch it get upgraded at 5am...ugh

Omg, don't say that!!   :D  Hey, at least we tied the date.

Its a good thing Josh doesnt work at the NHC.. He'd do anything he can right now to get that record.

Ha ha ha!  I'm glad, too.  :)  There are probably a few borderline situations that would test my objectivity.

My best contribution to the field is to just do what I do-- chase, film, and collect data.

Placing bets anyone... I say just lets go for the tie! (I'm not sure if that would make Josh happy if 2013 doesn't win outright)

C'mon-- after what we've been through, we deserve an outright win-- to commemorate our people's suffering.  (But it is cool that we at least tied the date.   :))

What time do we have to get to...to break the record?

The record is "just before 12Z" on 11 Sep. That's 8 am EDT. So if we get to the 11 am EDT advisory and it's still a TS, 2013 wins!

Scrambled eggs.

I hope it gets even more scrambled until it finally gets shredded apart. I'm elated at these latest developments of Humberto stalling and making this one of the closest margins for a record in the Atlantic I've seen. Its going to come down to the fricken' wire.

just watch it get upgraded at 5am...ugh

Start praying to your deities everyone, let this tie, better yet break, better yet never become a hurricane. Its possible for it never to become one, its happened before like this. Right now I'm just going to bed and hopefully wake up to a record lame season achievement of a lifetime  :) .

I hope it gets even more scrambled until it finally gets shredded apart. I'm elated at these latest developments of Humberto stalling and making this one of the closest margins for a record in the Atlantic I've seen. Its going to come down to the fricken' wire.

Start praying to your deities everyone, let this tie, better yet break, better yet never become a hurricane. Its possible for it never to become one, its happened before like this. Right now I'm just going to bed and hopefully wake up to a record lame season achievement of a lifetime  :) .

:lol:   :thumbsup:

P.S.  But after we break the Lameness Record, I do hope the 2013 season has a hawt Second Act, with a couple of Cat 4s in the W end of the basin.   :)

:lol:   :thumbsup:

P.S.  But after we break the Lameness Record, I do hope the 2013 season has a hawt Second Act, with a couple of Cat 4s in the W end of the basin.   :)

What is funny is when I quickly read this I mis-read the first part as, "But after we break the Lameness Bread"...  :lol: I'm tired now. I can just imagine all the tropical nerds sitting in a circle after 11 am tomorrow breaking the bread of lameness and then eating it  B) .

What is funny is when I quickly read this I mis-read the first part as, "But after we break the Lameness Bread"...  :lol: I'm tired now. I can just imagine all the tropical nerds sitting in a circle after 11 am tomorrow breaking the bread of lameness and then eating it  B) .

Ha ha ha!   :D  I can kind of imagine that.

It's not going to get upgraded at 5 AM. We're looking good right now :)

This.

OK, cool.   :)  If we make it to 5 am, we at least tie the old record.

HURRICANE HUMBERTO DISCUSSION NUMBER  11
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL092013
500 AM AST WED SEP 11 2013

CENTRAL CONVECTION HAS BEEN ON THE INCREASE WITH HUMBERTO DURING THE
LAST FEW HOURS...WITH A LARGE CURVED BAND WRAPPING AROUND THE
CYCLONE ALSO BECOMING BETTER DEFINED.  THE DVORAK ESTIMATES AT 6Z
SUPPORTED ANYTHING FROM 55-65 KT...AND GIVEN THE NOTABLE
STRENGTHENING OF THE CENTRAL DEEP CONVECTION AND OVERALL INCREASE
IN ORGANIZATION...THE INITIAL WINDS ARE RAISED TO 65 KT.

Archived