• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

Good morning all! I stayed up til almost 6am and finally passed out lol.

I know it was still coming down at 5:30am

Just finished plowing out the driveway.

Storm total for me is about 23,5 - it could be 23 or 24. I measured a few different spots- but honestly it doesn't even matter to me- it's just a huge amount of snow on top of what I had.

Just an awesome event.

I'll post some pics at some point today after I go help some more neighbors dig out.

I'm hearing 2-4 for this next one- that would be 5 storms in the last 13 days. Pretty prolific stuff!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upton

You guys really want more snow? Lol

I heard maybe a couple more inches for Monday night too. Then it looks like we moderate towards end of week.

But this snow pack is going to freeze up over the weekend- supposed to be cold the next few nights. Snow banks are just massive- like being in Colorado at a ski resort!

Here's an album of the most interesting/sexy model frames, observational plots, and radar/satellite grabs I saved from last night's storm. They're not in any particular order but I think a vast majority of them are timestamped. I don't own the copyright to any of them, so feel free to save and distribute as desired. :D

You guys really want more snow? Lol

I heard maybe a couple more inches for Monday night too. Then it looks like we moderate towards end of week.

But this snow pack is going to freeze up over the weekend- supposed to be cold the next few nights. Snow banks are just massive- like being in Colorado at a ski resort!

As we drove down our driveway today with snowbanks higher than my car, I said to my son it feels like we're in Vermont.  It totally reminded me of the times I've been to Killington. 

As far as more snow goes, part of me doesn't want any more, but part of me is rooting for at least a minor snowfall tomorrow and Monday night/Tuesday.  That would cap off what I would assume to be one of the most epic 2 week stretches in the history of this area.  Starting with the storm on the day after the Super Bowl, I believe that would be 6 storms in 15 days, 2 of them with 10"+, along with several below zero readings at night.  

Here's an album of the most interesting/sexy model frames, observational plots, and radar/satellite grabs I saved from last night's storm. They're not in any particular order but I think a vast majority of them are timestamped. I don't own the copyright to any of them, so feel free to save and distribute as desired. :D

Great album, thanks for sharing!  Any way to get a radar loop of when the mesolow was crushing us last night?

Nevermind! I didn't see it at this kind of resolution in real time, and wow, that mesolow is very evident.

attachicon.gifOKX.N0R.1402140804.912x684.none..348_an.gif

attachicon.gifENX.N0R.1402140805.912x684.none..348_an.gif

That's awesome.  Thank you so much for finding that!  I think West Mtn posted that the mesolow was created by the thunderstorm complex that moved through the region.  Is that pretty much what happened?  I don't know a lot about them.

Crazy spread on the SREF's (at KPOU) for an event that is less than 24 hours away.  Several members give 5-9", several more give 2 inches or less.  

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index.php?YMD=20140214&RT=21&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=POU&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=8&mLAT=41.087376539748014&mLON=-73.13314116821289&mTYP=roadmap 

As we drove down our driveway today with snowbanks higher than my car, I said to my son it feels like we're in Vermont. It totally reminded me of the times I've been to Killington.

As far as more snow goes, part of me doesn't want any more, but part of me is rooting for at least a minor snowfall tomorrow and Monday night/Tuesday. That would cap off what I would assume to be one of the most epic 2 week stretches in the history of this area. Starting with the storm on the day after the Super Bowl, I believe that would be 6 storms in 15 days, 2 of them with 10"+, along with several below zero readings at night.

Yeah it's been awhile since we've had snow pack like this. Very cool- just have to be careful at intersections - I went to the store earlier and it's hard to see around some corners.

And yes - tomorrow would be 6 in roughly two weeks -again, that's ski resort type weather. Definitely been a great run. As for tomorrow- what's a few more inches at this point? Lol

I'm good with it.

That's awesome.  Thank you so much for finding that!  I think West Mtn posted that the mesolow was created by the thunderstorm complex that moved through the region.  Is that pretty much what happened?  I don't know a lot about them.

I know mesolows with well-defined eyes form somewhat frequently over the Great Lakes in early winter, spinning up in areas of intense temperature contrast. Broadly (and probably imprecisely) speaking, the convection was pretty organized to start with and went to town when it hit the cold environment to the north.

WV loop from that time period, in case anybody has the expertise to properly analyze the formation of the mesolow.

post-3401-0-68656700-1392429134_thumb.gi

I know mesolows with well-defined eyes form somewhat frequently over the Great Lakes in early winter, spinning up in areas of intense temperature contrast. Broadly (and probably imprecisely) speaking, the convection was pretty organized to start with and went to town when it hit the cold environment to the north.

WV loop from that time period, in case anybody has the expertise to properly analyze the formation of the mesolow.

attachicon.gif140215015025_ansmall.gif

As you can see by the WV loop, the area where the Meso low spun up was at the pivot point of where the dry punch was rotating in from the east while the 0 / 850 line was crashing across the area from the SW. The weakening complex of thunderstorms which rode up from NJ through the LHV wound up at that pivot point and morphed into a Mesoscale Convection Vorttex (MCV) which is common in winter when a Mesoscale Convection System (MCS) of thunderstorms dies out.

Archived