Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - Discussion

Animal

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have a good one - see you Sat at the next event lol

Thanks.  I'll be back for sure.  Thanks all.  It has been fun sharing this storm with you all.  

Quick edit:  Dumping snow right now when I went out for a last look.  We'll see what is on the ground later.  Have fun all. 

If I was grilling on my gas grill, the snow would be level with the burgers now....lol

lol mine is completely buried - between the snow depth and the drifts blowing against it - completely covered from top to bottom. And the outdoor furniture is the same - save for maybe a foot of the umbrella poking out.

I have an elevated deck. Im waiting for it to collapse.................

Yes- I've heard the house creak a bit. That's the one concern - something gives way. Man, it just continues to roar out there. I don't know if I've seen such intensity for this long a duration. 4 hrs of just getting blitzed!

Looks lie shes gonna lighten up for a good while until the last band in NE PA swings through. That is assuming it doesnt dissipate. So I will bid you all good night and happy snow blowing in the AM. See ya Sat.

Ok man- have a good night- been a pleasure hanging out with a fellow monroe guy.. Operation snow removal for tomorrow. Then we see if we get an appetizer on Sat.

Yeah West Mtn NY said that's what he thought was happening earlier this morning. I was going to catch some sleep but the snow continues heavy here in Monroe- it's absolutely amazing- 6 hrs now of very heavy snow. I'm definitely at 2 ft for this storm.

This just released -

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

435 AM EST FRI FEB 14 2014

...STRONG WINTER STORM CONTINUES LATE TONIGHT...

NJZ002-NYZ067-068-141100-

/O.CON.KOKX.WS.W.0005.000000T0000Z-140214T1100Z/

WESTERN PASSAIC-ORANGE-PUTNAM-

435 AM EST FRI FEB 14 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM EST EARLY

THIS MORNING...

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN PASSAIC COUNTY IN NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY...

AND ORANGE AND PUTNAM COUNTIES IN SOUTHEAST NEW YORK.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 18 TO 24 INCHES.

* SNOWFALL RATES...UP TO AN INCH PER HOUR AT TIMES.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...AROUND 30.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES.

* TIMING...BEFORE DAYBREAK.

Yeah West Mtn NY said that's what he thought was happening earlier this morning. I was going to catch some sleep but the snow continues heavy here in Monroe- it's absolutely amazing- 6 hrs now of very heavy snow. I'm definitely at 2 ft for this storm.

What an incredible storm for us.  Just insanely heavy snow from two different features, thunderstorms, blinding sleet.  This is what we live for as weather geeks!

What an incredible storm for us. Just insanely heavy snow from two different features, thunderstorms, blinding sleet. This is what we live for as weather geeks!

Seriously - I would never have imagined that this heavy snow would have lasted this long at this intensity. This may very well continue until 6-7am

I'm at a loss for words at this point lol

And a major loss of sleep! But it's been worth it.

Seriously - I would never have imagined that this heavy snow would have lasted this long at this intensity. This may very well continue until 6-7am

I'm at a loss for words at this point lol

And a major loss of sleep! But it's been worth it.

Sleep comes every night, a storm like this where we are in the jackpot zone does not come all too often.  You made the right call!  I've only lived here about 10 years, but the amount of snow on the ground right now easily surpasses anything before.

Sleep comes every night, a storm like this where we are in the jackpot zone does not come all too often. You made the right call! I've only lived here about 10 years, but the amount of snow on the ground right now easily surpasses anything before.

That's exactly why I stayed up in spite of almost calling it a wrap around 3ish lol

Instead I went out and took a walk again. I've been up here 35 yrs now- so I've been fortunate to experience many memorable storms- but this one was different on many levels. Probably a once in a lifetime storm in regard to how it played out and all the crazy dynamics. If it wasn't for that period of sleet - someone would have probably hit 30 inches. Regardless - it's been amazing!

I don't know what to say. I went to bed well after 1 with 3" of new sleet and snow on the ground, hoping to pull off another couple inches. I ended up with 13.5" overnight. It must have snowed like gangbusters just after I called it quits. Storm total is 20.6" and the snowpack is up to my hips. Without a doubt my new favorite storm.

Morning Folks! What a plastering out there, maybe 8 or 9 from round 2, hard to tell. I didn't jackpot but I have more than enough, thanks! Props to the road crews at least in north central Orange County, I was surprised at how many roads were plowed. It will take a while to break through that layer of ice at the bottom so watch for that if you're out and about early this morning.

Archived