• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2013 Pattern and Discussion

griteater

It depends, Isopycnic. I distinctly recall that like clockwork, Labor Day week tends to be the time of demercation between the oppressive heat and humidity of summer and the lower humidity, more moderate temps of September. Of course, heat can linger beyond Labor Day, but the big difference is that the heat tends to last only a couple of days or so and usually is not very hot in absolute terms after Labor Day. Moreover, the knowledge that summer is dying makes any post Labor Day heat a lot more bearable. Of course, there has been very little heat at all this year, with the Triad only having seven days to reach 90 this year. Unless August turns around in a big way, this will be the Summer that Almost Wasn't in the Triad.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be the first "Summer that almost wasn't" in my 44 years. I hope we can pull it off. It's been so refreshing, especially after the past decade. I use labor day as a bench mark as well. The Crabgrass/Bermuda is usually on its way out by the 3rd week of the month due to the rapid drop off in daily humidity/DP's. Also it's very uncommon to hit 90 for a high after mid Sept and 80 after the first week of OCT in the Triad. Doesn't mean it can't and won't happen. I've already noticed big changes in less sunlight in the morning thanks to being 5+ weeks past the summer solstice.

Being mired in mid-80's and high humidity due to excessive rainfall or a tropical system can be just as miserable as mid 90's.  I HATE humidity.  Granted this summer has been completely tolerable thus far.  But I hope to hang on to the 70's LONG into the fall so we can catch up on lake weekends and outdoor activities!

Noob question....is the NOAA 8-14 day outlook updated daily or weekly?  Just wondering when we will get our first look at September.

Being mired in mid-80's and high humidity due to excessive rainfall or a tropical system can be just as miserable as mid 90's.  I HATE humidity.  Granted this summer has been completely tolerable thus far.  But I hope to hang on to the 70's LONG into the fall so we can catch up on lake weekends and outdoor activities!

Noob question....is the NOAA 8-14 day outlook updated daily or weekly?  Just wondering when we will get our first look at September.

It's updated daily. Funny -- the link I added in the previous post has updated to show todays outlook; which is not as cool as yesterdays, but still does not show any heat wave. 

I'm kind of the opposite.  I can generally take the higher humidity...it's the cloudless, 95 deg + days that I hate.

The NOAA CPC 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks come out everyday around 3PM.  They issue outlooks up to a year in advance (out to Fall 2014 as of now)...it's all here - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/

I'm kind of the opposite.  I can generally take the higher humidity...it's the cloudless, 95 deg + days that I hate.

The NOAA CPC 6-10 and 8-14 day outlooks come out everyday around 3PM.  They issue outlooks up to a year in advance (out to Fall 2014 as of now)...it's all here - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/

Just checked the ASO timeframe and we have EC for temps across the SE and above precip.  A lot of the same it appears.  I can certainly handle avg temps heading into the fall period.  But I think we all need to back off on the waterfall just a bit. 

EDIT - Love the warm and dry looks for the ENTIRE winter!  Who comes up with this crap anyway?  Lol.

Down in the Smoky Mtns. visiting my sister at WCU, hoping to get some golf in tomorrow or Thursday afternoon at Sequoyah National. Storm chances look much higher tomorrow compared to Thursday.

Jackson County has some great scenery. Nice Golf to. The weather here has been pretty nice of late but ya a couple of rain chances coming in by tonight but I do not think it will be a washout tomorrow or the next day.

The 00Z ECMWF is remarkable in how cool it is the weekend of Aug 10 with the 8C 850 line almost making it into TN...and no end in sight with the Ens and weeklies in full support of seasonal or below continuing through August. Not quite reminiscent of 2004 (when the 12C line made almost to the Gulf Coast )  but refreshing after the last three summers...

Archived