TONIGHT...MCS ACTIVITY OVER GREAT LAKES AND OHIO VALLEY THIS
AFTERNOON WILL APPROACH OUR AREA TONIGHT. THERE IS LITTLE
CERTAINTY AS TO WHETHER OR NOT IT WILL SURVIVE EAST OF THE
MOUNTAINS...BUT WITH A WESTERLY FLOW ALOFT AND MODERATE
INSTABILITY THERE IS A CHANCE FOR SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS TO
IMPACT OUR AREA TONIGHT. SHOULD THE MCS HOLD TOGETHER...THEN
SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE. THE BEST CHANCE FOR THE
STRONGER STORMS WILL BE ACROSS THE NORTHERN PORTION OF THE CWA
WHERE THE MID AND UPPER-LEVEL FLOW IS STRONGER.

One thing interesting today is how terribly the RAP has done with the CAPE forecasts on SPC mesoanalysis. It showed them going down etc, still did last check in future hours yet we ended up like 2-3k+.

I haven't seen much that gives us any storms today/tonight. the rap sort of hints at it. the HRRR had some fake storms around 18-20z earlier.. brings OH valley stuff into central va late much weakened. 

I haven't seen much that gives us any storms today/tonight. the rap sort of hints at it. the HRRR had some fake storms around 18-20z earlier.. brings OH valley stuff into central va late much weakened.

If anything, I am looking toward tonight... that's the best chance for anything

If anything, I am looking toward tonight... that's the best chance for anything

the stuff in oh/pa appears a bit northeast of what the hi res were showing.. might help.

post-1615-0-82807200-1372196346_thumb.gi

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1225   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0427 PM CDT TUE JUN 25 2013   AREAS AFFECTED...ERN OH...WRN/CNTRL PA...NRN WV...FAR WRN MD   CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 362...   VALID 252127Z - 252300Z   THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 362   CONTINUES.   SUMMARY...ONGOING QLCS AND CLUSTERS ACROSS ERN OH INTO NWRN PA   SHOULD MOVE E/SEWD THIS EVENING WITH A PRIMARY RISK OF DAMAGING   WINDS. DOWNSTREAM WW ISSUANCE WILL PROBABLY BE NEEDED PRIOR TO 23Z.   DISCUSSION...AMALGAMATION OF CELLS CONTINUES TO FOSTER UPSCALE   GROWTH WITH A QLCS APPEARING TO TAKE SHAPE FROM FAR NWRN PA SWWD   INTO E-CNTRL OH. NRN PORTION OF THE LINE HAS ACCELERATED OFF LK ERIE   AND WILL MERGE SHORTLY WITH DOWNSTREAM CELLS IN NWRN PA. AIR MASS   AHEAD OF THIS ACTIVITY IS AT LEAST MODERATELY UNSTABLE WITH SURFACE   TEMPERATURES IN THE 80S. WITH 30-40 KT W/NWLYS IN THE 2-5 KM AGL   LAYER IN PITTSBURGH/STATE COLLEGE VWP DATA...SETUP COULD SUPPORT A   BOWING LINE SEGMENT MOVING E/SEWD ACROSS MAINLY PA IN THE NEXT FEW   HOURS.

Alleghany/Carroll/Frederick/Washington in MD and Clarke/Frederick/Loudoun/Warren/Shenandoah in VA in the watch till 2am

Hey Yoda, do you think you can direct me to the EUSWX link to the June 4 line, I was curious about some particulars on that. Was talking about it with a guy the other day and wanted to verify some things. Thanks. 

Alleghany/Carroll/Frederick/Washington in MD and Clarke/Frederick/Loudoun/Warren/Shenandoah in VA in the watch till 2am

Hey Yoda, do you think you can direct me to the EUSWX link to the June 4 line, I was curious about some particulars on that. Was talking about it with a guy the other day and wanted to verify some things. Thanks.

If you google June 4, 2008 storms I think the Eastern thread will show up

Given where the line is I'd think it would make it here but it might be on the late side of available ingredients.

I guess this would be the storms headed toward our area?

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDSEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA717 PM EDT TUE JUN 25 2013THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...  SOUTHEASTERN ALLEGHENY COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...  SOUTHEASTERN WASHINGTON COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...  FAYETTE COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...  SOUTHWESTERN WESTMORELAND COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...* UNTIL 830 PM EDT* AT 712 PM EDT...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WERE DETECTED ALONG A LINE  EXTENDING FROM 10 MILES NORTH OF IRWIN TO 17 MILES NORTHWEST OF  IRWIN TO 18 MILES NORTHWEST OF WEST NEWTON TO 16 MILES WEST OF  BROWNSVILLE...AND WERE MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 35 MPH. THIS LINE OF  STORMS IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS IN EXCESS OF 70  MPH.* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  JEANNETTE...          IRWIN...              GREENSBURG...  WEST NEWTON...        BROWNSVILLE...        NEW STANTON...  PERRYOPOLIS...        MOUNT PLEASANT...     WALTERSBURG...  DONEGAL...            UNIONTOWN...          HOPWOOD...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...THIS IS A DANGEROUS LINE OF STORMS AND HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCINGWIDESPREAD DAMAGE. MOVE INTO A STURDY BUILDING AND AVOID WINDOWS.

Trajectory is fine. Bet we get pity warnings post midnight. Expectations are low so I could see this over-performing.

Now bring me back down to earth Ian. :lmao:

I want to say it'll just roll on thru but let's see what happens in the mtns. Hard to go out on a limb... But we should still have 1-2kish CAPE at least.. Probably well before 2a. Maybe by 11 or so around here.

Not very enthusiastic with regards to the segment moving S in PA. Latest radar trends show the mountains doing the deed of breaking up the intensity of the line. Moving SE in westerly flow is not your most optimal set up. Yes CAPE values are maintained and support may exist for damaging winds, however things are not overly supportive of a severe or even strong line to hit the DC/BWI metro region. 

They're running thru some of the least favorable environment right now. I think if they last the next hour or so they'll make it and would prob have svr warnings locally.

Archived