• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
May 2013 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Deck Pic

I am not that experienced with forecasting these scenarios other than personal experience which counts for something, but I could see us being mostly cloudy for a week straight..or plenty of sun Wed through Sunday...I am torn....

Also figure we are good for another mini-stretch of 85+ sometime in the next 15 days, but I don't know when...maybe mid next week?

GFS really likes the idea of a slow rolling closed ull next week. Latest track would be snow in the winter. LOL.

It pretty much gets stuck under blocking to the N and spins offshore keeping us in prolonged ne'rly flow through late in the run.

Teleconnections argue against sustained ridging in our parts. First half of the month has the potential to go -2 to -4 or so. But if sustained ridging does develop it's prob a lock that it sticks around for a while. It's how we roll.

GFS really likes the idea of a slow rolling closed ull next week. Latest track would be snow in the winter. LOL.

It pretty much gets stuck under blocking to the N and spins offshore keeping us in prolonged ne'rly flow through late in the run.

Teleconnections argue against sustained ridging in our parts. First half of the month has the potential to go -2 to -4 or so. But if sustained ridging does develop it's prob a lock that it sticks around for a while. It's how we roll.

How's the Thanksgiving week looking?

We always ridge around Memorial Day no matter what the overall pattern. Book it.

Yep, if we pull off the first 2 weeks with neg dep then it's a big score imo. Those deps will get eaten for breakfast come Mem day unless the stars align. I'm still thinking neg for the month but that is an easy bustable call.

I'm pretty shocked at how the real heat is kept at bay on the models through the first half of May. Day after day the globals show an overall aob temp setup through at least the 10th. I'm sure we're going to have some warm breezy days in front of a front or 2 but it really does look like this spring is going to go down as one of the nicest temp wise in a quite a while. 

The cutoff ull next week may make things a little messy but we need the rain so let it rain. 

I'm pretty shocked at how the real heat is kept at bay on the models through the first half of May. Day after day the globals show an overall aob temp setup through at least the 10th. I'm sure we're going to have some warm breezy days in front of a front or 2 but it really does look like this spring is going to go down as one of the nicest temp wise in a quite a while. 

The cutoff ull next week may make things a little messy but we need the rain so let it rain.

Let it rain. I will whine when we go without.

Models have backed off a bit on the late in the run heat and ec ridge. Looks like there's going to be 2-3 frosty mornings far nw of DC up in the higher elevations and valleys mon-wed next week.

After that there are mixed signals but none of them really point towards any type of prolonged aoa temp regime. 0z gfs has another cutoff off the coast of NE late next week. That would put us back in maritime flow if it were to actually happen. Way too far out there to even consider.

6z gfs likes the idea of a slow moving and wet boundary pushing south of us and then maybe lp riding it off the coast in the lr.

I'm just not seeing any prolonged warmth at all. I was thinking back in April that the first half of may would be below normal. That's looking like a good call. Now it is starting to look like the possibility of the month going below normal is at least on the table.

12z Euro drops closed 500 low south out of the lakes late and gives the area like 1200" of rain.

GFS is pretty moist late next week through mem day weekend too. Not closed low style but slow moving boundaries and lotsa showers. Maybe this means it will be hot and dry.

GFS is pretty moist late next week through mem day weekend too. Not closed low style but slow moving boundaries and lotsa showers. Maybe this means it will be hot and dry.

im banking on the euro being wrong for that so i don't have to be depressed till the 18z gfs.

im banking on the euro being wrong for that so i don't have to be depressed till the 18z gfs.

A closed low dropping out of the gl's in mid may is not something I would like to wager on. That's for sure. I think the bad part about what we've been seeing the last couple days is various versions of a gl vortex in general. I wouldn't be surprised if that did end up happening and the ec ends up with another period of aob w/ low humidity. What an unusual spring compared to most in the last decade. I guess it's nice to see that we can still string together a fairly long period of extended "cool". I was beginning to thing that was a meteorological impossibility. You know, kinda like a 4" snowstorm in DC but different.

A closed low dropping out of the gl's in mid may is not something I would like to wager on. That's for sure. I think the bad part about what we've been seeing the last couple days is various versions of a gl vortex in general. I wouldn't be surprised if that did end up happening and the ec ends up with another period of aob w/ low humidity. What an unusual spring compared to most in the last decade. I guess it's nice to see that we can still string together a fairly long period of extended "cool". I was beginning to thing that was a meteorological impossibility. You know, kinda like a 4" snowstorm in DC but different.

The ens means still keep it moving .. they have that dual ec and wc trough look but no major cutoff. I'm inclined to believe them more than the ops at this pt, tho it is still cutoff season and I am probably weeniecasting a little.

The ens means still keep it moving .. they have that dual ec and wc trough look but no major cutoff. I'm inclined to believe them more than the ops at this pt, tho it is still cutoff season and I am probably weeniecasting a little.

I pulled this image from a post I made in the April LR thread. I said back then I had a hunch that a portion of this month would have different variations of this setup. I would love to say I'm smart and all that but it was 50% lucky WAG and 50% lucky semi-educated guess. lol

Those dual troughs have been showing up for a while now, at least as far back as the day I was giving you a hard time about the 300 gfs. Pretty consistent signal.

Those dual troughs have been showing up for a while now, at least as far back as the day I was giving you a hard time about the 300 gfs. Pretty consistent signal.

0z gfs still hanging onto the idea around mem day weekend. Long ways out but there is definitely a signal for a coolish and wet weekend. Low to medium confidence but if I had to hedge I would say that next weekend at the very least will not be sunny and hot.

Zwyts and I briefly discussed a cooler than norm May back in April. That's actually starting to look like a good call. I don't see enough warmth to erase the neg departures we already have and we could easily see some additional below norm days before we close out the month.

IMO- this has been one of the best overall springs in many years. I haven't even come close to running my AC yet. Love it.

This is the 0z's guess for Sat of the holiday weekend:

0z gfs still hanging onto the idea around mem day weekend. Long ways out but there is definitely a signal for a coolish and wet weekend. Low to medium confidence but if I had to hedge I would say that next weekend at the very least will not be sunny and hot.

Zwyts and I briefly discussed a cooler than norm May back in April. That's actually starting to look like a good call. I don't see enough warmth to erase the neg departures we already have and we could easily see some additional below norm days before we close out the month.

IMO- this has been one of the best overall springs in many years. I haven't even come close to running my AC yet. Love it.

This is the 0z's guess for Sat of the holiday weekend:

attachicon.gifmemdaywkend.JPG

Winchester sitting at about -5.5 for the month.  11 of 14 days with a high less than 70.  It's going to be tough to erase that departure.  Possible, but not easy.  Even harder will be getting the MAM period to 0.

Mem. Day weekend looking spectacular right now.  Heat ridge building to our west on GFS and Euro after Mem. day, question of when it arrives here.  6z GFS advertising 90s (mid 90s?) by Thurs-Fri of next week. Euro looks like it keeps the ridge out to the west a bit longer.  

Mem. Day weekend looking spectacular right now.  Heat ridge building to our west on GFS and Euro after Mem. day, question of when it arrives here.  6z GFS advertising 90s (mid 90s?) by Thurs-Fri of next week. Euro looks like it keeps the ridge out to the west a bit longer.

Hug the Euro

Archived