Newest Member
    Toothache
April 17-18 Heavy Rain Event

A-L-E-K

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're gonna bust hard.

I think most of the area, especially well east of I-39, stays more or less dry through 0z with amounts under a quarter inch or so.  Not calling bust and we'll get soaked later and especially tomorrow but i'm not seeing the heavy rain threat today. 

big time, i had no idea they saw 2"+ yesterday, talk about priming the pump if thursday decides to train out over the region.

I wasn't expecting 1"+ here yesterday, let alone 2"+ down there.  

Flood Advisories just issued for a good chunk of central Indiana.

Local CoCoRaHS 36 hour totals...

Lafayette 2.2 S: 1.39"

West Lafayette 5.1 WSW: 1.25"

Lafayette 2.2 NE: 1.15" 

I was expecting 1"+ here yesterday, let alone 2"+ down there.  

Flood Advisories just issued for a good chunk of central Indiana.

Local CoCoRaHS 36 hour totals...

Lafayette 2.2 S: 1.39"

West Lafayette 5.1 WSW: 1.25"

Lafayette 2.2 NE: 1.15" 

Driving home yesterday, alot of creeks were already running very high from the afternoon rain.  I'm just above 2" total so far.

There's starting to be more divergence in the placement of heavy rain (of course the models like to do this).  The GFS ensembles have all shifted south and east, but the 06z RGEM, UKMET, and perhaps Euro (I don't know) are more in line with what the GFS and NAM had been showing for a few days, with more of an E Iowa/S Wisconsin/N Illinois/W Lower Michigan heavy rain event.

There's starting to be more divergence in the placement of heavy rain (of course the models like to do this).  The GFS ensembles have all shifted south and east, but the 06z RGEM, UKMET, and perhaps Euro (I don't know) are more in line with what the GFS and NAM had been showing for a few days, with more of an E Iowa/S Wisconsin/N Illinois/W Lower Michigan heavy rain event.

During the last sleet/rain event here this weekend, the GFS was not wet enough...at least for my area...  I think it had been spitting out around half inch for a few days and we ended up with like 1.5 inches!  

6z spits out about 3/4 inch of precip ...  so definite drying trend...we'll see.

I dont buy the GFS on this one

The NAM is verifying much better than the GFS this morning.  The GFS has been trending toward a blowup of convection across Missouri that robs Iowa of deep moisture, but that is obviously total garbage given the current radar.  Iowa is covered by heavy rain and storms while Missouri is bone dry.

DVN is thinking storms could train through tonight from Ottumwa to Iowa City to Dubuque with 4-5 inches of rain possible.  The key may be how much of an eastward push this big complex gets this afternoon.  We are off to a quick start, now approaching a half inch here in CR.  We've had a few loud booms, but most of the stronger convection has remained south along the edge of the rain.

Impressive totals around Iowa City already with clusterfuk complex raging... so far the NAM has been doing well. Action got a little further east into LOT than I expected but for the most part, most of the area will see only light totals until at least this evening.

Archived