12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
April 17-18 Heavy Rain Event

A-L-E-K

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother is up that way and her roof started leaking in multiple spots. :yikes:

That sucks :(  

Lots of people here found out last week that they needed some sorta roof repair.. and then there was all the flooded basements.. so far this is playing out good up here..  just an inch of light rain all day in to tonight so far.

stuff just getting to UGN is gonna be close to clipping here. if we can dodge that we might just be good for tonight.

Those 35-40 dbz returns are heading straight for you. Hopefully anything higher stays away tonight.

Its non stop. There's a empty pond-like dip in my neighborhood where the main sewer drainage is. Its full.

Im watching it, waiting to see it spill over.

The last time I saw it fill up was 2-3 years ago. And a flock of ducks came hauling ass out of no where landing in it. Squirreling around in it. "3 stooging" each other

That sucks :(  

Lots of people here found out last week that they needed some sorta roof repair.. and then there was all the flooded basements.. so far this is playing out good up here..  just an inch of light rain all day in to tonight so far.

Light is relative, it was moderate to occasionally heavy rain much of the day, but not nearly as intense as in parts of Iowa, N Missouri, and N Illinois.

You know, I kinda became accustomed to this rain. With the occasional lightning and thunder. Its soothing. I always enjoyed when a storm was on its way. This event is one after another. So I'm gonna enjoy this while I can.

A really nice clap of thunder just boomed. Its lighting up out there nicely right now. The current wave thats training here is heavy.

Chicago has been on the front all day and night basically. Its impressive to see the front of this system training all day here, checking the radar every hour.

Raining and booming pretty good right now at 3:30am

Couple units in our building started taking water mid-afternoon yesterday. Yanked carpet and padding up in one to find about an eight inch drain bringing in about a gallon or two a minute. Second unit had no carpet but the same drain size covered by a patch of concrete. Water pressure won and was beginning to slowly back through there too. Sumps in each unit independent of the old drains were eventually getting water out, but an inch or so of water on drywall and carpet did not look good.

City came out with the vac truck and such, popped some manholes and said it was not their issue. Later we peeked into an abandoned cistern to find what appeared to be a backup servicing those old drains, but clearly not helping us now. Got a mess on our hands.

getting squishy in the brook....a top 10 crest looks to be a lock...

(1) 24.04 ft on 09/14/2008

(2) 23.75 ft on 07/18/1996

(3) 22.55 ft on 02/22/1997

(4) 22.11 ft on 10/14/2001

(5) 21.42 ft on 01/13/2005

(6) 20.94 ft on 01/24/1999

(7) 20.61 ft on 05/08/1998

(8) 20.32 ft on 08/28/2004

(9) 20.16 ft on 04/21/2000

(10) 19.39 ft on 05/09/2003

jumped from 20.93 to 21.13 in the last 15 minute update...ahead of river forecasts at the moment....and now into moderate flood stage

just buckets of water....flash flood warning extremely warrented....parts of my subdivision are quickly flooding that rarely see standing water....sub pump hasn't stopped for a few hours

Sooooo much convection still streaming up from quincy right into chicago too....sheesh

I left the office and instead of driving straight back to my apt, I went to check on an area in Lisle that I figured would be flood prone, Leask Lane, which connects from Warrenville Rd to Butterfield Rd. About a half mile south of Butterfield, the water flowing across the road was almost a raging river, forming a rapids when it hit some raised earth on the other side of the road. Where I stopped my car, the running water was about 2-3" deep, but it looked several inches deeper just ahead and I didn't want to test it. Called that report in to the office and also when on the way back from the office on I-355 I hit some of the heaviest rain I'd ever seen and figured that would cause needing a FFW.

I left the office and instead of driving straight back to my apt, I went to check on an area in Lisle that I figured would be flood prone, Leask Lane, which connects from Warrenville Rd to Butterfield Rd. About a half mile south of Butterfield, the water flowing across the road was almost a raging river, forming a rapids when it hit some raised earth on the other side of the road. Where I stopped my car, the running water was about 2-3" deep, but it looked several inches deeper just ahead and I didn't want to test it. Called that report in to the office and also when on the way back from the office on I-355 I hit some of the heaviest rain I'd ever seen and figured that would cause needing a FFW.

wow....yeah, i know exactly where you are talking about...it will be interesting to hear the reports once the sun comes up and more traffic starts hitting the roads....not to mention plenty of rain on the way

jumped from 20.93 to 21.13 in the last 15 minute update...ahead of river forecasts at the moment....and now into moderate flood stage

I could tell it was going up extremely fast when I saw the hydrograph just before I left. Flashy river to begin with and adding massive amounts of water in a short amount of time, not surprised at the result. How bad were the impacts there with the highest crests? Also, the Des Plaines flooding is quickly going to become a major news story, probably get national attention. Latest forecast crest is 1.5' above the record I believe.

I could tell it was going up extremely fast when I saw the hydrograph just before I left. Flashy river to begin with and adding massive amounts of water in a short amount of time, not surprised at the result. How bad were the impacts there with the highest crests? Also, the Des Plaines flooding is quickly going to become a major news story, probably get national attention. Latest forecast crest is 1.5' above the record I believe.

There is an industrial park accross the street from the old Ditka Dome there on Rte 53....We used to run a company out of one the warehouses in there...during the highest crests many of those buildings were impacted and basically cut off...Also, I know Home Landscape Material (which sits at the entrance of the industrial park) will be fairly heavily impacted there as well...Elsewhere, Royce and Weber road will likely be closed at some point in the future here...

I saw a spokesman talking about the Des Plaines River during the evening news yesterday trying to calm fears saying that it won't be as bad as 2007....I shook my head when I heard that...it seemed pretty clear via river forecasts and NWS forecasts that they were going to be in store for at least 2007 crests...but he was simply looking at a river forecast that had been produced around noon yesterday

signifcant rises on the East Branch in Bolingbrook just over the last hour...impressive when you figure it is already over bankfull and water is being dispersed even further...

04/18 09:30 21.74ft   04/18 09:15 21.52ft   04/18 08:45 21.13ft   04/18 08:30 20.93ft   04/18 08:15 20.77ft

oh man, next round of boomers coming in.  Just when it looks like the heaviest will move north, it pushes south and just when it wants to sink south, it pushes north.  On the plus side, i don't think we blast fully into the warm sector like was original thought and sit under convection through much of the day (nice call chicago storm).

The city was just rolled with heavy loud thunderstorms.

seen that when I looped the radar..  nice.

didn't expect to see we got about an inch of useless rain in the 4 hrs I was sleeping.  not calling for much rain today at least.

Sure wish we could bank 5" of the already 6.5" of useless april rain for when the death ridge sets up this summer and we're dry as a popcorn fart.

supposed mid 60's temps for today knocked back down to the 50's now..  April snow is so much better.

There is an industrial park accross the street from the old Ditka Dome there on Rte 53....We used to run a company out of one the warehouses in there...during the highest crests many of those buildings were impacted and basically cut off...Also, I know Home Landscape Material (which sits at the entrance of the industrial park) will be fairly heavily impacted there as well...Elsewhere, Royce and Weber road will likely be closed at some point in the future here...

I saw a spokesman talking about the Des Plaines River during the evening news yesterday trying to calm fears saying that it won't be as bad as 2007....I shook my head when I heard that...it seemed pretty clear via river forecasts and NWS forecasts that they were going to be in store for at least 2007 crests...but he was simply looking at a river forecast that had been produced around noon yesterday

Those sound like some pretty significant impacts. I can only imagine what it's like on Royce right now with the river rising so fast and the continued heavy rain. From driving in there it's easy to tell it's a flood prone road and I heard there's issues on it when the flooding isn't even that bad.

Regarding the Des Plaines, I'm assuming you meant 2008 and not 2007? I can tell you that the EMs and Cook Co homeland security were freaking about about the new forecasts. The problem with river forecasts is the they're only based on how much water/runoff is in the system and the next 24 hr forecast precip $

Yeah, the coverage of 3"+ amounts is going to be massive.  We might not see the localized high reports we see during mid summer training mcs action but this appears to be much more widespread.

exactly right....

gonna put a heck of a strain on the creeks, streams, rivers as all of them are trying hard to clear their own local runoff, not to mention everything upstream...very impactful event for flooding

Those sound like some pretty significant impacts. I can only imagine what it's like on Royce right now with the river rising so fast and the continued heavy rain. From driving in there it's easy to tell it's a flood prone road and I heard there's issues on it when the flooding isn't even that bad.

Regarding the Des Plaines, I'm assuming you meant 2008 and not 2007? I can tell you that the EMs and Cook Co homeland security were freaking about about the new forecasts. The problem with river forecasts is the they're only based on how much water/runoff is in the system and the next 24 hr forecast precip $

No, he was actually referencing the August 2nd 2007 crest event....hence me really shaking my head at that comparison given the rainfall forecasts still expected...

yeah, royce has to be bumpin' pretty good right about now...almost up to 22' per last update...forecast was for 22.7 by friday...new forecast there should be interesting

EDIT:  to add, i believe it was a spokesperson up in gurnee....not in cook county anywhere....fwiw

Archived