• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Outbreak April 10-12th Disc./Obs.

WilkesboroDude

I mean, does anyone know what would be causing most storms throughout the whole year (not just severe) to basically split and go around the lake just to reform towards Forest Acres/Sumter?  Last night a cell or two was like 10 miles away, died out a bit.. reformed right after it passed.  Then another cell from the South came through southern Lexington and died the closer to the lake it got again.  I have a few weather buff friends that notice the same thing.

The only thing that has changed with the lake since they lowered it to build the new backup dam... is less vegetation.  Before they lowered it, storms used to amplify over it.

Portals 

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, does anyone know what would be causing most storms throughout the whole year (not just severe) to basically split and go around the lake just to reform towards Forest Acres/Sumter?  Last night a cell or two was like 10 miles away, died out a bit.. reformed right after it passed.  Then another cell from the South came through southern Lexington and died the closer to the lake it got again.  I have a few weather buff friends that notice the same thing.

The only thing that has changed with the lake since they lowered it to build the new backup dam... is less vegetation.  Before they lowered it, storms used to amplify over it.

Damn dam damned the damn weather. Damn it.

The air over the lake needs time to heal after all that disruption.

F1 in Lumpkin County (Dahlonega last night).  I plotted the whole track on a goggle map by marking all the road crossings along with a few notes.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211011793558318842884.0004da2e5e913c26dd84e&msa=0&ll=34.471397%2C-83.911428&spn=0.061561%2C0.132093

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSON MS

200 PM CDT FRI APR 12 2013

...PRELIMINARY INFORMATION FROM NWS SURVEY TEAM...

AN NWS SURVEY TEAM CONTINUES TO WORK WITH EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT

PERSONNEL SURVEYING THE PATH OF THE TORNADO THAT MOVED THROUGH

KEMPER AND NOXUBEE COUNTIES YESTERDAY. WHILE THE TEAM HAS NOT

SURVEYED THE ENTIRE PATH AS OF YET...THE TEAM HAS DETERMINED THAT

THE TORNADO WILL AT A MINIMUM BE RATED EF-3...WITH A MAXIMUM WIDTH

OF AT LEAST THREE-QUARTERS OF A MILE.

TO THIS POINT...THE DAMAGE PATH APPEARS CONTINUOUS FROM SOUTHWEST

KEMPER COUNTY TO AT LEAST NEAR WHERE THE TORNADO CROSSED US HIGHWAY

45 IN SOUTHERN NOXUBEE COUNTY. THE TEAM STILL HAS TO SURVEY THE

TRACK FROM THERE TO THE ALABAMA/MISSISSIPPI LINE. A TEAM FROM NWS

BIRMINGHAM IS SURVEYING DAMAGE THAT OCCURRED FROM THIS STORM IN

PICKENS COUNTY...ALABAMA.

Was there ever a tornado with that storm lots of people were saying should of had a tornado warning and being hyped about hitting around the Atlanta area? The one storm where someone said FFC or whatever didnt know what they were doing because they didnt issue a tornado warning? The one people were hyping over twitter?

Was there ever a tornado with that storm lots of people were saying should of had a tornado warning and being hyped about hitting around the Atlanta area? The one storm where someone said FFC or whatever didnt know what they were doing because they didnt issue a tornado warning? The one people were hyping over twitter?

No tornado reports as of yet.

Kemper/Noxubee County tornado on the ground for over 68 miles...

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE JACKSON MS
807 PM CDT FRI APR 12 2013

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR KEMPER AND NOXUBEE COUNTIES TORNADO EVENT ON 4/11/13...

.KEMPER AND NOXUBEE COUNTIES TORNADO...

RATING:                 EF-3
ESTIMATED PEAK WIND:    145 MPH
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/:  56 MILES IN MISSISSIPPI AND 68.4 MILES TOTAL
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/:   0.75 MILES
FATALITIES:             1 IN KEMPER COUNTY
INJURIES:               5 IN KEMPER COUNTY AND 4 IN NOXUBEE COUNTY

START DATE:             4/11/2013
START TIME:             1131 AM CDT
START LOCATION:         3 SW DAMASCUS
START LAT/LON:          32.6269/-88.8767

END DATE:               4/11/2013
END TIME:               1248 PM CDT
END LOCATION:           3 ENE BIGBEE VALLEY (CONTINUED INTO ALABAMA)
END_LAT/LON:            33.2654/-88.3072

SURVEY SUMMARY: THIS TORNADO FIRST TOUCHED DOWN IN SOUTHWEST KEMPER COUNTY
AND TRACKED NORTH-NORTHEAST THROUGH MUCH OF KEMPER AND NOXUBEE COUNTIES THEN
INTO PICKENS COUNTY ALABAMA. THE MOST INTENSE DAMAGE OCCURRED IN FIVE
LOCATIONS ALONG THE PATH. THE FIRST WAS DAMAGE TO A SEVERAL STORY STEEL
FRAME COMMERCIAL BUILDING ALONG HIGHWAY 493 JUST NORTH OF MOSCOW.  THE
SECOND WAS A FRAME HOME THAT WAS COMPLETELY DESTROYED ALONG HIGHWAY 16
SEVERAL MILES WEST OF DE KALB. THE THIRD WAS AN EXTENSIVE AREA OF DAMAGE
JUST WEST AND NORTHWEST OF SHUQUALAK THAT INCLUDED A DESTROYED HOME AS WELL
AS SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO SEVERAL OTHER HOMES AND MANY POWER POLES. THE
FOURTH WAS HIGH TENSION POWER POLES THAT WERE BENT ALONG HIGHWAY 45 JUST NORTH
OF SHUQUALAK. THE FIFTH AREA WAS JUST WEST OF PRAIRIE POINT WHERE A MICROWAVE
TOWER WAS CRUMPLED AND BENT ALL THE WAY TO THE GROUND.

ALONG THE REST OF THE TORNADO PATH...THOUSANDS OF TREES WERE SNAPPED AND
UPROOTED...NUMEROUS POWER POLES WERE SNAPPED...MANY HOMES SUSTAINED ROOF AND
WALL DAMAGE...NUMEROUS BARNS AND OUTBUILDINGS WERE HEAVILY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED
AND A FEW VEHICLES WERE SMASHED AND OVERTURNED.

Yes it finally dropped one in Dahlonega. Never was warned though. See my post several posts up.

Sent from my droid RAZR m

Yes it finally dropped one in Dahlonega. Never was warned though. See my post several posts up.

RAZR m

A tornado that hit near the Hall-Lumpkin county line Thursday night downed trees across the area and damaged multiple homes.

Lynn Anderson said she wasn’t sure if it was a tornado but she heard a puffing sound and a loud roar at her home on Bridgestone Way off Pony Lake Road off Ga. 60.

The National Weather Service confirmed the EF-1 tornado, which hit its maximum intensity along Bridgestone.

An EF-1 tornado is one of the lowest classes on the tornado scale, with winds of 66 to 110 mph able to cause significant roof damage, broken windows and exterior doors damaged or lost.

Anderson was upstairs waiting for her husband to get home from work, monitoring weather alerts that as far as she knew included a tornado watch, but no warning. Light rain was falling just before her husband pulled up at about 9:30 p.m.

She went to the door to open it and the power went out. As she opened it, the wind blew it open and she had to force it back shut.

“He backed down our driveway and pulled in by the garage and he opened his door to get out and he started getting hit with things,” she said.

Anderson then ran down the stairs toward the basement, with her husband still outside.

“I was just afraid that he had tried to get out of his truck and got caught between the house and his truck, but he’s fine,” she said. “But it was frightening.”

A tree fell across the bedroom of her daughter, who is away at college, and siding and shingles were ripped off and windows broken. Trees across her 4-acre property are down, including many probably 100 years old, she said.

Barbara Poore lives down the street from Anderson and said trees also were down all over her 5-acre property.

“My biggest thing is every tree in my yard is gone, and I have 5 acres,” she said. “... I could be so much worse off and I’m just thankful.”

The weather service reported two homes were destroyed in that area and 12 damaged. The tornado eventually weakened and lifted near Claude Parks Road and Starwood Drive in Hall County.

Poore had no doubt it was a tornado that hit.

“I was just sitting on my couch and just heard a really different noise,” she said. “I’ve always heard the description of the train and that’s exactly what it sounded like.”

She ran to her basement and said she could hear things falling outside and moving upstairs, but it was over in 20 seconds. Her roof and porch were damaged.

Homes in other parts of the county were damaged as well, according to David Kimbrell, Hall County director of emergency management and fire chief.

Three homes in the Timber Creek Trail area off Thompson Bridge Road were damaged, one severely, Kimbrell said.

Trees also fell causing minor damage at the Reece Mobile Home Park on Gillsville Highway, Crawford Oaks town homes off McEver Road in Oakwood and a house on Thousand Oaks Drive off Harmony Church Road. Lightning struck a house at Thompson Bridge Road and Springview Drive.

Power was disrupted for 8,000 Jackson EMC customers, according to company spokeswoman Bonnie Jones. Most of those were in Hall County, with 2,000 in East Hall and 5,000 in South Hall near Spout Springs.

Archived