joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poured in Stapleton, we were right on the edge of the hail.

I tweeted at Matt Mankins that these cells look near stationary to me. It looks like cell headed straight west after moving through Stapleton, which is kind of odd.

I rarely see something head west/north west after going through Stapleton.

Poured in Stapleton, we were right on the edge of the hail. I tweeted at Matt Mankins that these cells look near stationary to me. It looks like cell headed straight west after moving through Stapleton, which is kind of odd. I rarely see something head west/north west after going through Stapleton.

Yeah, it's been an odd storm.

DEN picked up 2" in about 80 minutes. They mostly missed out on all the precip over the past week, guess they were due.

I know someone who lives in Greeley, CO. She told me that she is dry only because she is high up on a hill. However, it along with a good bit of Greeley is like an island now and she thinks she's stuck there for at least a couple of weeks. It may be several months before nearby bridges are repaired!! Has anyone else heard anything like this regarding Greeley? Isolated for weeks+? Does that jibe with what others have heard for there?

I know someone who lives in Greeley, CO. She told me that she is dry only because she is high up on a hill. However, it along with a good bit of Greeley is like an island now and she thinks she's stuck there for at least a couple of weeks. It may be several months before nearby bridges are repaired!! Has anyone else heard anything like this regarding Greeley? Isolated for weeks+? Does that jibe with what others have heard for there?

I've heard it's like that some places just south and east of Greeley. Lots of roads taken out and I'm sure it will take week/months to repair and rebuild them all.

It's been pouring here for the past hour and headed into Boulder again...

I think God got a new precip manager who hadn't been fully trained yet. Noticed there was a drought going on and took the controls without really knowing how to use them. "I think this button controls the rain... wonder what happens if I press it?... Hmm, appears to be stuck. Better not ask for help or else I might look stupid... Uh- oh... What do I do now?"

I have no better explanation. :facepalm:

I think God got a new precip manager who hadn't been fully trained yet. Noticed there was a drought going on and took the controls without really knowing how to use them. "I think this button controls the rain... wonder what happens if I press it?... Hmm, appears to be stuck. Better not ask for help or else I might look stupid... Uh- oh... What do I do now?"

I have no better explanation. :facepalm:

In a few weeks we'll probably be talking red flag warnings again. :)

Today looks mostly dry, but any thunderstorms that pop up in the wrong place could cause trouble.

with some rain around midnight and some drizzle today, this makes it 8 straight days of rain (Monday to Monday)

CSU weighing-bucket rain gauge has around 4.85" but I believe some parts of the city are 5.40" or higher. Obviously Horsetooth Mountain is much higher, possibly over 9"

post-1182-0-22573600-1379352957_thumb.pn

I do not know a whole lot of specifics. Roads in town are fine. The river bridges are closed in some places, such as Overland Trail, Shields, and perhaps a few more. College Ave (US287) bridge over the river was not damaged, and I drove over that on Friday. Are you specifically talking about the canyon? The helicopter footage (see below) shows that the Laporte school (High school?) is flooded (or was flooded) with about a foot of water. That is pretty much in the floodplain. Looks like Laporte had some damaged/destroyed property.

Helicopter Footage of 2013 Flood - YouTube

I do not know a whole lot of specifics. Roads in town are fine. The river bridges are closed in some places, such as Overland Trail, Shields, and perhaps a few more. College Ave (US287) bridge over the river was not damaged, and I drove over that on Friday. Are you specifically talking about the canyon? The helicopter footage (see below) shows that the Laporte school (High school?) is flooded (or was flooded) with about a foot of water. That is pretty much in the floodplain. Looks like Laporte had some damaged/destroyed property.

Helicopter Footage of 2013 Flood - YouTube

Yeah I was curious to hear if the damage extended up to Fort Collins or if it was confirmed closer to Greeley and Boulder. 

That's quite the video!

Loved the Canyonlands pic- sun, rain, rainbow, and lightning all at once. I don't think I've seen that combination before in one picture!

Mountains are white this AM as it clears.

It rained HARD last night- I have to say I had a little PTSD from a couple weeks ago and couldn't get back to sleep, kept checking the place where the roof leaked. We got almost an inch of rain in 3 hours.

Beautiful!  Did you take that?

By the way, winter is here for the higher elevations of I-70 this morning:

attachicon.gif602938_10151945558359874_1102498240_n.jpg

Yup. We got to Grandview and saw the storm in the distance so started to snap pics, especially after the rainbow developed and BAM, lucky shot. Can you believe that was an IPhone 5 shot? I uploaded a copy to Wikimedia, the original and a darkened version

Archived