FHR  24| 36  48| 60  72| 84  96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192      
 WED  04| THU 05| FRI 06| SAT 07| SUN 08| MON 09| TUE 10| WED 11 CLIMO
 X/N  17|-17   8|-14  12| -3  12| -4  14| -2  22|  5  28| 10  34 16 44
 TMP   8|-11   3|-11   7|  1   5| -2  10|  4  15| 11  21| 15  27    

post-1182-0-88296400-1386180664_thumb.gi

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have liked to throw a pan of hot water up in the air there last night- saw a video from the Mt Washington (NH) Observatory doing that a few years ago when it was -30 F and it was pretty amazing. DIY snowmaking. They said it has to be -30 or lower for it to work.

LOL. Very funny you say that as my fiance took a video of me throwing a boiling hot cup of water into the -12F air last night. It vaporized instantly and floated away. We got down to a low of -17 last night up in Ned. 

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BOULDER, CO

1228 AM MST THU DEC 19 2013

...RECORD HIGH MIN TEMPERATURE TIED AT DENVER CO...

A RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 40 DEGREES WAS TIED AT DENVER

CO YESTERDAY. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 40 SET IN 1917.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 68 DEGREES WAS ALSO SET AT DENVER CO

YESTERDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 66 SET IN 1979.

• 2 weeks later...

We drove through the graupel yesterday on the way to DIA to drop off my inlaws. I think I heard a rumble of thunder too. Fortunately it was out of the area by the time they took off- must not have been too fun to fly that hour. My inlaws insisted it was sleet, despite my insistence that we basically never get sleet here (and why). I was about ready to stop the car and give them a handful...

The GFS has been showing about 0.1" to 0.2" of QPF on Saturday-Sunday with that upslope surge with the arctic front. We may have 2"+ of snow around Denver. I wouldn't be surprised if Jefferson Co. gets 4-8" out of this.

Hi

My best friend is taking a trip to deer valley (park city) jan 8-12 . Is there much hope for new powder over next 7-10 days there....at all. Thank u for any time u spend answering this question (if u can)!

Now I know why Utah resorts typically have a small discount during January-early February... climatologically colder and drier than later in the winter. Still, should not be bad. The real snow droughts of big chunks of the past couple winters are not there this year so far. For a New Englander, should be perfect. If Deer Valley/Park City is not ideal (it's a bit lower and warmer, and the mascara in DV may run :) ), have your friend head down to Alta (my personal favorite) or Brighton. Not far and often better snow.

FOR FOOTHILLS AND PLAINS...INCREASING UPSLOPE AND MID LEVEL ASCENT
WILL BRING A DECENT SHOT OF SNOW TO MOST LOCATIONS...MAINLY IN AND
NEAR FOOTHILLS. LATEST MODELS STILL SHOWING AMOUNTS IN THE 1 TO 4
INCH RANGE. NAM ON THE LOW END...GFS THE HIGHER END ACROSS THE
DENVER AREA SOUTH OVER THE PALMER DIVIDE. THERE IS STILL SOME
CHANCE FOR A BAND OF HEAVIER SNOW SETTING UP SOMEWHERE ACROSS THE
AREA BY THE AFTERNOON AND COULD HELP PRODUCE MORE SNOW. FOR NOW
WILL CONTINUE WITH THE LOWER AMOUNTS AND WILL WAIT TO SEE WHAT
DEVELOPS BEFORE ISSUING ANY ADVISORIES.

The NAM has Fort Collins getting down to 1F on Monday morning. I suppose this is not too crazy considering the air mass. This time, it doesn't seem as if this cold snap will be as long as the early December one. We should have 3 days below freezing, which would be pretty bad for November or February.

low wind chills east of here

-------

..NORTHEAST COLORADO        CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS  GREELEY ARPT   PTCLDY    -6 -15  65 SW6       30.37S WCI -18            AKRON          PTCLDY    -8 -15  71 NW13      30.34F WCI -28            BURLINGTON     PTCLDY    -6 -12  75 NW12      30.40S WCI -25            WRAY           CLEAR     -2 -11  64 W8        30.43S WCI -16            STERLING       PTCLDY    -6 -15  65 W5        30.40S WCI -17            HOLYOKE        CLEAR      1 -11  55 NW14G21   30.39F WCI -17            FORT MORGAN    PTCLDY    -9 -16  73 W7        30.37F WCI -24

Archived