• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter Thread

metalicwx366

I drove by Waycross twice over the weekend going to and coming back from Florida. Each time I saw the exit for Waycross I got that creepy feeling and just pushed harder on the gas pedal until it passed. 

Sounds like the same area I passed satan trying to hitch a ride out.  He looked bad.  Just inside the shoulder of the interstate sitting on a backpack with his head down and his thumb up.  I think he had a poodle with him.  I'm pretty sure there was a cardboard sign at his feet reading something like "I Quit".

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone on the board needs to make plans to visit Wilkes Community College for Merlefest April 25-28th. My college will usually see around 80,000 visitors for this multi day musical event that will feed millions of dollars to economy of Wilkes and to the college itself.

For more info on tickets, food vendors, and lineups see..    http://www.merlefest.org/

Multiple stages and performers around campus.

Merlefest%20Panorama.jpg

merlefest-042409-020.jpeg

Everyone on the board needs to make plans to visit Wilkes Community College for Merlefest April 25-28th. My college will usually see around 80,000 visitors for this multi day musical event that will feed millions of dollars to economy of Wilkes and to the college itself.

For more info on tickets, food vendors, and lineups see..    http://www.merlefest.org/

Multiple stages and performers around campus.

Do you know what has 8 teeth and 64 legs?

39 years ago today.......April 3, 1974 at 4:40pm is a day I will never, ever forget. It was warm for April and I was in shorts and a t-shirt, riding my bike in the Arrowhead subdivision in Xenia, Ohio while my two younger sisters played in the yard, when my Mom and Aunt started screaming for me to come inside....there was a tornado coming. The skies were blue with big puffy clouds and I can remember thinking, there is not a storm coming. The front door was open (along with the big bay window) and channel 7, with their new dopplar radar, and Gil Whitney was telling everyone to take cover now. We all went into the closet after grabbing the crib mattress to cover us up for what seemed like forever. My Aunt and Mom kept looking out the window in the bedroom where the sun continued to shine. After a bit, they both told all of us to stay put as they were going to look out the front of the house. While both of my sisters were crying and I could no longer hear my Mom and Aunt, I left the closet and walked into the living room. As I rounded the corner of the hallway my Aunt was outside and Mom was in the entrance way, I could see where my Mom was pointing and yelling OMG it's here Deb! The sky was black and moving. At that point the wind grew louder and louder as the sky seemed to have a life of its own. My Aunt and Mom ran back into the house grabbing me as they ran back into the closet. The sound of the wind is something that I can't describe. It was like 20 trains, thunder embedded, and 15 demons swirling to make the most wickedest sound ever heard. Next came the sound of things hitting the house and ripping some of it apart. I thought it would never end, but when it did and we opened the door to the closet and walked down the hall, we were standing in the yard and there was a lawnmower wrapped so tightly around part of the fence that was still standing, that a crowbar couldn't remove it. To the left was a giant jackrabbit stuck in the small fence. I can still remember the crock pot in the kitchen in the same place it was before with everything around it gone. Looking around there was nothing left. Nothing. The whole neighborhood was gone. I remember my Aunt asking over and over where the car was so we could get to my Grandparents house and let my Dad know we were ok. Later we found the car a couple streets over, upside down in a pile of rubble. What was a quick 10 minute ride in the car to get to my Grandparents house, took us over 4 hours to walk. The destruction was unreal. By the time we reached the railroad tracks, on our way toward the IGA near where my Grandparents lived, I stopped counting the many people that were being carried out on doors, pieces of wood, and various things that were available. Although I was young, I couldn't help but watch in complete amazement how everyone was helping each other. I do mean everyone. Anyone and everyone that could walk was digging threw the rubble to rescue people. Once we reached the IGA, it was like nothing had ever happened. From a war zone to beautiful tree lined streets in a matter of a block. I learned respect for all of the firefighters, police, servicemen/women and emt's who worked so hard for so many days to do what they could for everyone they came across. I don't think there was a person in town that didn't know of someone who had died that day. Here are some pictures/video's of that day.....

B1oom4m.jpg

I25N52u.jpg

That's an amazing story, buckeyefan. Thank you for sharing. Such a horrible tragedy, but I'm glad that you and your family made it through. Studying the Super Outbreak was one of the things that got me very interested in severe weather, and for all of the destruction there was, I think the one positive outcome was that we learned a great deal about tornadoes from it - knowledge that has probably saved many lives since.

I recently found this video about the Xenia tornado and thought it was rather poignant:

Wow, girl!  Just wow.  I knew you'd been through it, but to read you telling it...wow.  I'll never forget that day...that outbreak.  Thinking about how a whole town could get wiped out like that...and the enormity of the  day with terror, and horror spread out over the country.  There was a lot of weather in the early 70's and a lot of it wasn't nice.  It wasn't too far past Camille. The zombie zrain in Atl.  A lot of awful within a 5 year span. T

Archived