joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter Thread

metalicwx366

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, NC has made a top ten list. 5th most miserable city in the US.   :yikes:

5. Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, N.C.
> Well-being index score: 62.7
> Obesity: 32.1%
> Median household income: $38,923
> Adult population with high school diploma or higher: 79.0%

Nowhere else in the nation did people have as negative an evaluation of their lives as in the Hickory metro area. A major reason was that survey respondents living there were less optimistic about their life in five years than respondents in almost all other parts of the country. Hickory residents also were rated poorly for emotional health, with survey respondents telling Gallup they felt sad or depressed more often than in almost all other metro areas. As of January, the Hickory metro area had an 11.5% unemployment rate, among the higher rates in the country. Many residents lacked the formal education necessary to work in higher paying jobs. Just 79% of residents had at least a high school diploma, and 18.2% at least a bachelor’s degree, versus 85.9% and 28.5%, nationwide.

Read more: America’s Most Content (and Miserable) Cities - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2013/03/26/americas-most-content-and-miserable-cities/#ixzz2PEUEJ7oc

Spartanburg, SC came in at #10.

10. Spartanburg, S.C.
> Well-being index score: 63.4
> Obesity: 26.7%
> Median household income: $40,167
> Adult population with high school diploma or higher: 81.8%

Spartanburg residents had among the lowest well-being scores in the nation, according to Gallup. Relative to the rest of the United States, they were far more likely to have high blood pressure or high cholesterol, to have been diagnosed with diabetes or cancer, or have a heart attack. Nearly 51% of residents were classified by Gallup as “suffering,” while just 45.8% were qualified as “thriving,” one of the lowest figures in the country. In the area, median household income was $40,167, more than $10,000 lower than the national median. Many residents lacked the education necessary to earn higher incomes. In Spartanburg, less than 21% of residents have a college degree, versus 28.5% of all Americans.

Read more: America’s Most Content (and Miserable) Cities - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2013/03/26/americas-most-content-and-miserable-cities/#ixzz2PEVJsC2W

It seems Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, NC has made a top ten list. 5th most miserable city in the US.   :yikes:

5. Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, N.C.

> Well-being index score: 62.7

> Obesity: 32.1%

> Median household income: $38,923

> Adult population with high school diploma or higher: 79.0%

Nowhere else in the nation did people have as negative an evaluation of their lives as in the Hickory metro area. A major reason was that survey respondents living there were less optimistic about their life in five years than respondents in almost all other parts of the country. Hickory residents also were rated poorly for emotional health, with survey respondents telling Gallup they felt sad or depressed more often than in almost all other metro areas. As of January, the Hickory metro area had an 11.5% unemployment rate, among the higher rates in the country. Many residents lacked the formal education necessary to work in higher paying jobs. Just 79% of residents had at least a high school diploma, and 18.2% at least a bachelor’s degree, versus 85.9% and 28.5%, nationwide.

Read more: America’s Most Content (and Miserable) Cities - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2013/03/26/americas-most-content-and-miserable-cities/#ixzz2PEUEJ7oc

Wow!  I didn't realize so many people around me were so depressed.  It's probably due to the fact that we've only had 1 inch of measurable snow in the last two winters combined.  That will depress anyone!!

Well, I can say that I'm cautiously optimistic about the future.  But, I kind of have reverse job security:  when people lose their jobs they come back to school, ensuring that my job continues to be necessary in order to educate the masses.  The other upside to such high unemployment is that property values have tended to fall with them, allowing buyers to get a real good deal at the moment.  Of course, that also means that sellers are losing their shirts.  There's always two sides to every story...

lol  Whatever floats your boat, but it's a little like comparing purgatory to hell and claiming all is good. :)

See, I told you I was optimistic about the future!  :P

So, when they said we are the most depressed "city/area" in the country, Gallup obviously didn't get a chance to talk to me.  Nobody has accused me of being the dreaded "Negative Nancy" on this site.

No.  Nor does anyone else.  That's why you should use the Quote or Multiquote feature when replying to someone.  Then, we can know to whom you have addressed your comments.  It's easy.  Really.

But that would affect plausible deniability.

Archived