• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April 2013 General Discussion

Geos

They're counting on warm sector instability never reaching that far north. It's expected to waver north and south of here over the next few days, but we'll see. Last week it never really made it past the Ohio border.

Actually the elevated instability did make it pretty far north initially.  Maybe not enough for severe but there was plenty of lightning, as good as an afternoon t-storm in June or July.  Just because the surface air temperature is cold doesn't mean it can't rip lightning.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're counting on warm sector instability never reaching that far north. It's expected to waver north and south of here over the next few days, but we'll see. Last week it never really made it past the Ohio border.

Given our climo, that's the better bet to make.

Congrats :axe:

sweaty pants crew is starting to losing their mind or forgot their meds today.   

Sunshine here and temps on the soar..   Surprise 60th b-day party time for mom..  Nice knowing most of you all.

lol.  To me "sticking snow" means it can stay on the ground for several hours even after it stops falling.  I'm happy to see the sun.  About time.  Haven't seen it since last week Monday.

Given our climo, that's the better bet to make.

I don't know what you're talking about.  You don't need surface based instability to get lightning here.  You don't even need it to get severe in some cases.  If there's a boundary with 80 degree temps and 60 degree dewpoints less than 100 miles away there's going to be lightning because chances are the edge of the warm sector is overhead at 850mb even if you can't feel the warmth at the surface.

quit complaining!

You live in the North, deal!

NWS had me at 51F today...they had my hopes up and now its like they took a boot and kick me right in the sack!   

There was a gradient here of sleet/snow earlier..in Onalaska they have almost nothing (just east of me)..and i still am completely covered...  I hate gradients, when i'm on the losing side

BRewers won!  best team ever...  Cubs?  not so much.

NWS had me at 51F today...they had my hopes up and now its like they took a boot and kick me right in the sack!   

There was a gradient here of sleet/snow earlier..in Onalaska they have almost nothing (just east of me)..and i still am completely covered...  I hate gradients, when i'm on the losing side

BRewers won!  best team ever...  Cubs?  not so much.

may-sept=perfection

Yea.  Half dollar flakes coming down and melting on contact here.  Water trickling off the roof makes it sound like it's raining though.  If this was January sun angle it wouldn't be 37.  It would be 32 and sticking.  I lived in Seattle for 4 years and they get this kind of **** all the time.  Sometimes the vertical temperature gradient is so ridiculously steep off the sound that you just walk 50 feet up the hill from sea level and there's suddenly an inch of slush.

Sounds like an interesting situation you had going. I've seen a similar situation in the Smoky Mountains and in hilly areas where there is open water bodies to modify the temperatures just enough. I've seen a snow covered roof on a 5-10 story building before along the lakefront and absolutely bare, wet ground below.

Can't wait for May!

I don't know what you're talking about.  You don't need surface based instability to get lightning here.  You don't even need it to get severe in some cases.  If there's a boundary with 80 degree temps and 60 degree dewpoints less than 100 miles away there's going to be lightning because chances are the edge of the warm sector is overhead at 850mb even if you can't feel the warmth at the surface.

Severe Weather Outbreaks in April are about as common as Snowstorms in April around here.

They're possible (and they have happened before), but I wouldn't consider them as normal. The better chances are definitely west of Lake Michigan (though not necessarily immediately downwind) and south of I-80.

It's very difficult to get a warm front to overcome those cold lake waters, unless of course the actual jet stream is well to the NW of us. You can get some decent t'storms as that warm air overrides the colder air, but it's also not common to get severe weather from those particular t'storms thanks to the subsequent inversion cap that forms.

I'd say mid-May is when the severe weather chances improve for us.

Sounds like an interesting situation you had going. I've seen a similar situation in the Smoky Mountains and in hilly areas where there is open water bodies to modify the temperatures just enough. I've seen a snow covered roof on a 5-10 story building before along the lakefront and absolutely bare, wet ground below.

Can't wait for May!

Yea.  It actually happens a lot in Seattle where the elevation varies from sea level up to 400 feet on Capital Hill.  Often the cold arctic air comes down from the Frasier Valley up in BC but mixes with a milder marine layer that comes in off the ocean through the straight.  The mixing of the two airmasses causes convection similar to lake effect snow with extreme lapse rates in the low level.  In the bigger storms the snowfall amounts are always incredibly variable, going from nothing on the water to 6 inches only 5 or 10 miles away and the hilltops will often stick first with a very sharp "snow line" visible only a hundred feet up or so, especially on the trees and roofs of buildings.  Seattle also gets a lot of extremely heavy snow showers with temperatures in the middle or upper 30s.  Sometimes there's a phenomenon called Puget Sound Convergence Zone where the leading edge of colder air leads to a band that looks like lake effect on radar, but even more convective in nature with, really black sky, a clap of thunder or two, and sheets of super wet flakes and snow pellets.

Well, that's really the only exciting weather ever in Seattle.  Well, there's occasional wind storm but those are pretty meh away from the coast.  That and the occasional elevated t-storm that comes west off the cascades in June or July.

Severe Weather Outbreaks in April are about as common as Snowstorms in April around here.

They're possible (and they have happened before), but I wouldn't consider them as normal. The better chances are definitely west of Lake Michigan (though not necessarily immediately downwind) and south of I-80.

It's very difficult to get a warm front to overcome those cold lake waters, unless of course the actual jet stream is well to the NW of us. You can get some decent t'storms as that warm air overrides the colder air, but it's also not common to get severe weather from those particular t'storms thanks to the subsequent inversion cap that forms.

I'd say mid-May is when the severe weather chances improve for us.

I wasn't talking about severe.  It's just that thundershowers > boring showers.  If there's a decent chance of decent lightning I'd like to see a lightning bolt on the outlook. 

61F in Prairie Du Chien now...  warm front somewhere between us and them... 

ahh poop..maybe we'll see the sun tomorrow.

It is near DeSoto. 50 there. Looks like rain is going to stop the front's progress north.

Geos-

Having talked to Saukville for many years, that is pretty common or at least it would seem..its like the warm front bends around L Michigan...  All i know is being over here sucks bananas...next week shows teh same setup, but you look to torch some and i'll be in the freezer again.

Really looks like next weekend shows a definite shift to milder air around here...we need to leaf out some time. 

DLL - yeah the leaf out seems like it's taking forever this spring. Probably because it was so early last spring. 

If the lake wasn't there I'm sure the warm front would sweep further north and you'd be nearer to the warm front if not south of it at this point. I remember last spring a few times you mentioned the east winds were cooling your area off - and you're about 175 miles away from the lake! 

I wasn't talking about severe. It's just that thundershowers > boring showers. If there's a decent chance of decent lightning I'd like to see a lightning bolt on the outlook.

Fair enough, I agree with that.

FWIW, the actual text forecast does include thunderstorms, but it just implies a chance of it.

Given the uncertainty of the storm track and frontal placement, that's a fair forecast this far out. Where the low pressure center tracks and the fronts set up will be key in determining how far north enough instability can get for t'storms.

Archived