amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 25th Storm: Debacle or Climo Defier? Discussion and Obs

stormtracker

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

euro snow map actually looks better than 0z, tho not sure why. brings the 4-8 to about 95  and across most of northern md. seems highly optimistic.. like all of it being accumulating snow.

Seems reasonable. For this time of the year a 3-6 type event is very significant for anyone in the entire region. Still don't understand the tone of some here dismissing any accumulating snow this late in the season especially if they are a true snow lover. I guess I'm impressed more easily than others.

You have more snow than others and are at 1,000 feet. If I could get to Oakland for this one I'd be really impressed too and expecting a foot.

Seems reasonable. For this time of the year a 3-6 type event is very significant for anyone in the entire region. Still don't understand the tone of some here dismissing any accumulating snow this late in the season especially if they are a true snow lover. I guess I'm impressed more easily than others.

Those who have been in the business for quite some time realize the nooks and crannies that make even the most impressive modeled snow event lackluster in some instances. Some people like to forget it is March 26, and there are many things that result from the date alone such as sun angle, warmer average climo, perfect timing needed, an anamolously cold airmass typically required, etc. 

For that reason, their doubts are more than warranted, and in retrospect the modeled snow totals as I said yesterday would truly be historic. Of course, it will not play out that way at all in my opinion, as I stated in my previous post. 

Temps?

hard to say on maps.. all the panels have us in the 30s zone thru the day. but the freezing line stays well west at lowest.. it's warmer than 0z with that part on maps which makes me wonder why it looks snowier on tha snow map.

euro snow map actually looks better than 0z, tho not sure why. brings the 4-8 to about 95  and across most of northern md. seems highly optimistic.. like all of it being accumulating snow.

I like the look of the heights and a somewhat better h5 track. I wouldn't take the Euro 100% in this, though it's certainly the model I'd put the heaviest weight on. Probably 60/20/20 ECM (and its ensembles)/GFS/UK

That is why in some respects I like this run of the ECM, the h5 track is optimizing for the area. Also why I'm taking a compromise of some of the other models with regards to QPF and temperatures. 

This has been mentioned by others but(particularly) this winter, there is too much confidence by many that the models can handle the nuances of a late season storm. I'd say climo is more important than the models. Especially given their poor performance, the fact that we are dealing with a transfer, the model spread, time of year etc. I don't think anyone has the skill to nail down the details of such sharp gradient storm. And we really don't have a frame of reference. 3/6 is our best example and climo is way better then for most of us.

I like the look of the heights and a somewhat better h5 track. I wouldn't take the Euro 100% in this, though it's certainly the model I'd put the heaviest weight on. Probably 60/20/20 ECM (and its ensembles)/GFS/UK

yeah maybe slightly tho the end result is it still passing right overhead the dc/balt area. the gfs and others have that as well with the closed contour even though it looks ok since the main energy passes in a good spot. usually getting a closed 500 low right overhead is not optimal from what i've seen.

i have no interest in the backlash really. it's not going to do anything unless we get throttled. i think only the nam does that at this point.

The Euro is warm at the sfc in the data, not a good thing to see, though as Ji stated above, drier=warmer. Euro wins? Not so sure yet, Zwyts post above just popped on the nuances of these storms, and its fair to say no one model may 100% nail the final outcome here. Lots of variables on the table, and with tonights 0z the last full suite of guidance coming before weather services have to put out a true forecast makes it a bit of a challenge to say the least. 

How much precip before dawn and what are temps at that time?  That's really all that matters.  After that it's just going to be -RASN/-SNRA for 8 more hours. 

posted already but it's like .25" from the potomac and southwest, lighter northeast thru 12z. 32 line makes about the blue ridge on panels.

How much precip before dawn and what are temps at that time?  That's really all that matters.  After that it's just going to be -RASN/-SNRA for 8 more hours. 

.21 for DCA up to 12z, sfc temps 1.1 and 0.7

GAI is not bad: .22 up to 12z not counting nuisance .01 before that, with sfc 0.9 and 0.4

Considering the Euro has been running warmer at the sfc by a bit, its not too bad. 

FDK .24 with 2m's .7 and at freezing respectively for 6z and 12z. 

IAD .25 with 1.0 and 0.5

BWI .18 with 1.5 and 1.0

posted already but it's like .25" from the potomac and southwest, lighter northeast thru 12z. 32 line makes about the blue ridge on panels.

Ok, missed that.  Although the synoptic evolution is different between now and March 6th, end result sounds similar.  Coating-2" (for the cities and nearby 'burbs) on the grass before dawn and then hours of RASN until it shuts off. 

GAI is not bad: .22 up to 12z not counting nuisance .01 before that, with sfc 0.9 and 0.4

Considering the Euro has been running warmer at the sfc by a bit, its not too bad. 

not all of that will be accum snow tho, particularly near 95 where it's going to start as rain or rain mix.

Oh I know, should start as rain for an hour or two, using up .05ish maybe. 

think even at night around here we probably need good rates. 34 and periods of mod snow did very little on mar 6. the areas that really cashed in with that first stuff to the south were getting 30-40dbz snows for like 2+ hours. i'd give myself higher odds of a dusting than 1" at this pt probably.

Anything <=1C on the Euro probably verifies near 32F.  If the Euro shows 2C, then we're almost certainly sunk on accumulations. 

think even at night around here we probably need good rates. 34 and periods of mod snow did very little on mar 6. the areas that really cashed in with that first stuff to the south were getting 30-40dbz snows for like 2+ hours. i'd give myself higher odds of a dusting than 1" at this pt probably.

I agree, but I think the Euro will moisten up some on the initial precipitation. The storm could be pretty juiced in my opinion, so a slight increase on 0z ECM with regards to QPF numbers could occur. 

Anything <=1C on the Euro probably verifies near 32F.  If the Euro shows 2C, then we're almost certainly sunk on accumulations. 

Yes, the 1C too warm Euro rule has always been something I've taken as a rule of thumb, not just because of 3/6. 

FDK .24 with 2m's .7 and at freezing respectively for 6z and 12z. 

IAD .25 with 1.0 and 0.5

BWI .18 with 1.5 and 1.0

Euro sounds more like the seasonal trend here. Less precip and warmer. Will verify my forecast of drizzle and clouds. I'm sure some dude in western VA will report 8 inches before I even see my first drop of rain and he'll still be snowing when my drizzle shuts off.

I agree, but I think the Euro will moisten up some on the initial precipitation. The storm could be pretty juiced in my opinion, so a slight increase on 0z ECM with regards to QPF numbers could occur.

We'll see. Euro has been pretty consistent on the front end and looks like what we've come to expect of recent. The RAP might turn it into a 1" liquid snow bomb tho.

Archived