• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 25th Storm: Debacle or Climo Defier? Discussion and Obs

stormtracker

best gfs run yet for bwi i think. I've pulled so much text data that I could be wrong but this is the best I remember

MON 00Z 25-MAR   2.9    -4.2    1007      74      97    0.08     546     540    MON 06Z 25-MAR   1.1    -3.3    1003      96      99    0.12     542     539    MON 12Z 25-MAR   0.8    -4.2     999      96      98    0.29     537     538    MON 18Z 25-MAR   0.9    -4.7     999     100      99    0.38     533     534   

thanks

yeah, that looks like the best I've seen too

I just wish I hadn't seen it  :(

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of you wants to believe.  I can tell.   The inner weenie in you is fighting.  You're doing a good job with the the rational side dominating...but more model runs like this and you will be fully possessed.   

I want to believe :(

i just want this wretched winter to end. even if i got 6" it would still be a wretched winter that needs to end.

Yeah, I think we would have.  whole column 2 degrees colder.   Yeah.

silly argument.. no way either of us could prove something that didn't happen.  but we got no meaningful precip this far north till during the day and it was in the mid-30s to near 40 for most of it.. so you do the math.

silly argument.. no way either of us could prove something that didn't happen.  but we got no meaningful precip this far north till during the day and it was in the mid-30s to near 40 for most of it.. so you do the math.

dude, you're in Washington, D.C., have you forgotten what goes on down the street?    lol

Yup, I don't think a cooler air mass would have helped. Here in Potomac, we had temperatures hovering around freezing, but the dreaded sun angle ruined the snow totals for us. I think the only way we could have gotten even a moderate snow storm was with heavy precipitation, and, again, it was too dry up here until too late.

I'm not going to call your rebuttal silly.   We'll agree to disagree.

lol no we wouldnt

Perhaps not DC, but I was threatening to accumulate here in Colesville, MD for a long time that day. I think a 2 degrees colder would have made a big difference. Maybe not historic - but I think I could have had a blanket of snow. Perhaps a few more degrees maybe - but I was kind of close for a good part of the morning. 

Perhaps not DC, but I was threatening to accumulate here in Colesville, MD for a long time that day. I think a 2 degrees colder would have made a big difference. Maybe not historic - but I think I could have had a blanket of snow. Perhaps a few more degrees maybe - but I was kind of close for a good part of the morning.

I was at 33 until 2pm. 2 degrees lower and I would have had 5-6 instead of 2-3 that shrank every time it snowed.

I will go with persistence and forecast drizzle and broken clouds for MBY.

if we can get temps to cooperate, regardless of the models, we might get our well deserved 2" and the he!! w/everyone else on this Board

this is our last shot for 9 months; time for regional bias to trump any semblance of decency to others     :fulltilt:  

I don't think 2 degrees would've mattered for DC on Mar 6, but it sure would've out here.  I had a HEAVY 10 inches at 9AM when the snow stopped accumulating.  Doubt the ratios were any better than 6 or 7:1.  2 degrees colder and more of the initial snow would've stuck and maybe the ratios get to 10:1, so I'd have been looking at at least 13 - 14 inches.  That's not counting the hours of light/moderate snow that fell - but melted - after 9AM.

I'm glad to see things trending away from this being a 2 part mess. Much more consolidation and we are on our way to a decent long duration event. I think people not buying the coastal and focussing on the night time WAA are missing the majority of what this storm is. To me the WAA is almost no big deal. If the transfer happens too late or too far north, we are screwed, but get it 50 miles away from March 6, and we're in business. I think top end accumulations in non elevation areas who have the QPF bullseye could be in the 4-6 range, very much like what Midlothian and W. Richmond saw during March 6.

if we can get temps to cooperate, regardless of the models, we might get our well deserved 2" and the he!! w/everyone else on this Board

this is our last shot for 9 months; time for regional bias to trump any semblance of decency to others     :fulltilt:  

We'll see. We've been playing this same game for months. The precip has just never gotten here when it needed too. I'm sure a SNE met will show up shortly and tell me to prepare for epic banding. I won't be buying in.

I'm glad to see things trending away from this being a 2 part mess. Much more consolidation and we are on our way to a decent long duration event. I think people not buying the coastal and focussing on the night time WAA are missing the majority of what this storm is. To me the WAA is almost no big deal. If the transfer happens too late or too far north, we are screwed, but get it 50 miles away from March 6, and we're in business. I think top end accumulations in non elevation areas who have the QPF bullseye could be in the 4-6 range, very much like what Midlothian and W. Richmond saw during March 6.

It's the waa that keeps the surface from becoming a radiation magnet after sunrise. It's a very big deal. It's also the only thing that has a good chance at sticking.

Daytime comma stuff would be great to see but unless there is already snow on the ground, mod snow won't stick.

I'm not going to call your rebuttal silly. We'll agree to disagree.

I didn't call your comment silly I meant it was silly for either of us to try to prove something that didn't happen either way.

Today is going to be 55, tomorrow near 50. The air mass is perhaps a touch better but it's still stale cold air.

Archived