• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 21 - Inverted(Norlun) Trough

Baroclinic Zone

My lawn was green by now this time last year. This will make us appreciate summer all that much more. We also needed this to return some normalcy to nature jmho.

Heaviest totals should be along 195 between the 25 interchange and eastern New Bedford. They're getting whacked again

Climo has a way of fighting back...funny how it happens. Seems to happen in close proximity too. Regardless of any underlying warming rate.....the really strong extremes always seemed to be balanced out fairly quickly. We saw last March happen on the heals on 2010....now this year is like literally taking us back to mid-winter in late March. Las year was literally late June. Not a high difference at all, right?

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norluns are great...they are a total PITA for forecasters...but they are still one of the true winter events that are so unpredictable on a timeline of <12 hours. How many mets would have painted 6-12" from EWB to mid-Cape as recently as 8 hours ago? Nobody....and there's a reason, you couldn't have forecasted it. You could have guessed, but you would probably be wrong 8 out of 10 times.

Fascintaing stuff.

Funny because the NAM was the one and only model to correctly forecast the Norlun here a few weeks ago. The GGEM, GFS and even Euro to an extent crapped the bed with it. 

From what I gather in the last few pages of this thread, it totally wiffed with this one. Not shocking..it's completely inconsistent in every regard. That's its only bias. 

Glad to see some of the SE SNE folks could cash in on this event. 

Climo has a way of fighting back...funny how it happens. Seems to happen in close proximity too. Regardless of any underlying warming rate.....the really strong extremes always seemed to be balanced out fairly quickly. We saw last March happen on the heals on 2010....now this year is like literally taking us back to mid-winter in late March. Las year was literally late June. Not a high difference at all, right?

Nature does its thing for sure.

This has to be the biggest snow down here this late in a long long time.

Funny because the NAM was the one and only model to correctly forecast the Norlun here a few weeks ago. The GGEM, GFS and even Euro to an extent crapped the bed with it. 

From what I gather in the last few pages of this thread, it totally wiffed with this one. Not shocking..it's completely inconsistent in every regard. That's its only bias. 

Glad to see some of the SE SNE folks could cash in on this event. 

Which event are you talking about?

March 7-8...while the main show was off to the NE there was an inverted trough set up over our area  which lingered afterwards. The NAM was the only model to pick it up for a while in the short to medium range. 

Ahh...ok, I wasn't even following that back there since the Euro was killing other guidance up this way....totally diff setup though.

Ripping to my west. Hopefully I get one more good burst. 195 still getting the business

Becoming much more banded now...its winding down....but we can still see a quick 1-2" extra in that band...its going to come east....but will prob weaken as it does...but you are close enough that you will see something.

That's frickin' sweet!

I left with about 9.4" or so on the pile and 1" on the cleared area.  We got about 2" on the cleared area, but the pile is down to 9" at 8am.

I measured throughout the yard.  8" to 8.5" on undisturbed porch railings and a pretty uniform 9" on the cars, flat rocks, a board blown into the yard from the last storm.   Realistically I have no doubt at least 10" fell here with a general 8-9" on the ground right now.  It's very very fluffy snow obviously.  I bet most is gone today.

I have no real doubts about Patricks total in general.  He was under some furious returns for an hour or two that never made it here.

Photos later.  

I left with about 9.4" or so on the pile and 1" on the cleared area.  We got about 2" on the cleared area, but the pile is down to 9" at 8am.

I measured throughout the yard.  8" to 8.5" on undisturbed porch railings and a pretty uniform 9" on the cars, flat rocks, a board blown into the yard from the last storm.   Realistically I have no doubt at least 10" fell here with a general 8-9" on the ground right now.  It's very very fluffy snow obviously.  I bet most is gone today.

Photos later.  

I told you it looked good lol

I was just going to say..lol. What happened to them?

Poof?

They didn't even use my 4" submittal from last night and I have picture proof right here in this thread.  LOL.

Same here in a moment and I usually am at or below the local NWS employee.  Sun is out now, and it's already been compacting so measurements at this point are going to be lower...quickly. I hate the lack of consistency.

I told you it looked good lol

I'm sticking with a c to 1".

Railing that is undisturbed.  My back bench that is almost totally undisturbed but definitely compacted after 2am.  You can see the spot I cleared.  One shot from the roof of my car in the middle of nowhere (facing north) so you can see there was zero blow off or drifting.

With a pretty widespread 6-12", it's comical that one school had a 2 hour delay.  It does go to show when the administrators don't want to go into the summer any more they stop calling days.  Roads are pretty marginal.

post-3232-0-08202800-1363955258_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-98988700-1363955263_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-89278000-1363955268_thumb.jp

post-3232-0-22669200-1363955275_thumb.jp

BTW not the best measuring tool as snow gets stuck under it but I couldn't find the ruler I normally use.  That's my level, so it's pushing some snow under it in all the photos.

The railing seems to top out at about 8" no matter the storm before it falls off the sides.  Used to point out how much snow was even on that surface.   Sun is now fully out and there goes ye snow.

Some of the lightest/lightest snow of the year with no base, even a flat bottomed ruler wants to fall over so the angles are weird I had to be holding it at all times. 

I'd be extremely confident at least 9.5" fell here but probably 10 to 10.5 "fell"

9.5" is safe and I have no doubt areas along 195 between rte 25 and about the wareham mall got 10-14, as did the area in west Falmouth/north Falmouth.

I measured about 7.2 in Acushnet, and the trained spotter (before it was removed) measured about 9.5". I can easily believe the 9.5 for the southern part of the town.

Agree on there being between 10-14 near Wareham Crossing.

Why do the PNS totals look so low? 

Archived