Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 9-11 Snow/Rain Storm

turtlehurricane

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DVN all in on heavy snow for Hawkeye, and of course Dubuque.  Dubuque can't be denied. 

THE DEFORMATION ZONE FOR THIS SYSTEM APPEARS WILL BE QUITEIMPRESSIVE WITH AT LEAST ADVISORY SNOWS AND ALSO THUNDER-SNOW...AGREEWITH TRENDS PAST 6-12 HOURS OF SOLUTIONS OF LOCALLY 6+ INCHES. ONLYMODERATE CONFIDENCE OF TRACK OF HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WITH BEST ESTIMATEROUGHLY ALONG AT DBQ TO IOW TO IRK LINE DUE TO HOW OCCLUSION OCCURS.AGAIN...THIS GOING TO BE CHANGING PROBABLY DYNAMIC SYSTEM AS RATE OFOCCLUSION AND IT/S DEPTH ARE STILL VERY QUESTIONABLE.  BEST ESTIMATEIS KINEMATICS AND MOISTURE FLUX PROFILES SUPPORTIVE OF EVEN STRONGERAND MORE RAPID DEFORMATION ZONE WITH HEAVIER SNOWS THAN 6 INCHES ANDWINDS OF 25 TO 35+ MPH INCREASINGLY PROBABLE.

Wow winter just does not want to quit.  :lmao:

The 6z GFS puts a skidmark of 8 to 10 inches of snow over us!!!  WTF?  We melted snow off some, but there is still plenty on the ground...  we'll get rid of it by Memorial Day :flood:

Stream flooding becoming a concern this spring. Especially if we really get this snow

06z GFS and 12z NAM continue to get stronger with this storm, dumping 6+ inches in a band across Iowa up into Wisconsin.  06z GFS/00z Euro say central to northeast Iowa, 12z NAM is a bit farther east with Cedar Rapids/Waterloo into southwest Wisconsin.

I love watching it snow, but I was hoping this stuff was over for the season.

Update: 12z GFS pretty far nw.

USA_ASNOWIPER_sfc_051_zpsb3e0b1ee.gif

blah...

The only problem with all this moisture...is most of it is going in the river and will end up in the GOM...  Yes..its good because it will raise the river levels so barges can move, but no...its not sinking into the soil here anytime soon because we have 'concrete frost' and by the time that gets melted, the snow will probably be gone.

FcstTotalSnowfallMap.png

I broke my favorite shovel too and i thought i was good :(

Spring will eventually come for you DLL! Looks like a cold mid 30s rain here. blah to that.

NAM HIRES showing where it thinks the defo band will set up. NE IL more or less gets dry slotted. Might be able to curb that flooding threat.

rad32.gif

ptot54.gif

The only problem with all this moisture...is most of it is going in the river and will end up in the GOM...  Yes..its good because it will raise the river levels so barges can move, but no...its not sinking into the soil here anytime soon because we have 'concrete frost' and by the time that gets melted, the snow will probably be gone.

Ya, I was thinking of water levels downriver with the issues they've had this season with transport, but as Stebo reminds us, any and all moisture the Plains can receive will ultimately be good for avoiding a death ridge out there later this spring and summer.

1.00-1.50" of rain looks likely overnight into tomorrow.

Huge plume of moisture headed straight toward us.

Some models show that plume to the west weakening as it approaches our area, which I hope it does. Lower half of the snow pack and the ground is hard as a rock.

---

LSE: 6.3"

Cedar Rapids: 5.7"

MSN: 4.7"

DSM:  9.0"

GRB: 6.5"

MKE: 0.5"

Me: T

Alek: T

Cyclone: 0.8"

Some models show that plume to the west weakening as it approaches our area, which I hope it does. Lower half of the snow pack and the ground is hard as a rock.

---

LSE: 6.3"

Cedar Rapids: 5.7"

MSN: 4.7"

DSM:  9.0"

GRB: 6.5"

MKE: 0.5"

Me: T

Alek: T

Cyclone: 0.8"

Enjoy your dirty snow, as for me I hope for rain (even though we don't need much of it) over a dirty snowpack that will not last through next week anyway.

Enjoy your dirty snow, as for me I hope for rain (even though we don't need much of it) over a dirty snowpack that will not last through next week anyway.

Can never have too much moisture! IIRC the spring preceding that wonderful cool "summer" of 09 was wet as hell.

I'd take all the rain we can get if it means another cool summer!

Hawk-

Where is all that water going!?  I've only got .19 here so far and its really pooling in the street/sidewalks...

A lot has soaked into the snowpack, which is now a few inches of slush.  A large pool of water has collected on my patio.  I had to walk across the patio and yard with bare feet to reach my rain gauge because my shoes would get soaked.  Overall, the rain has fallen slow enough to not be a big problem.  I'm up to 1.20" now, but there is a pretty good break in the rain.  The RAP has more heavy rain moving in after midnight, then another surge Sunday afternoon with the strengthening low.

Actually it isn't really that dirty outside of the roadsides. My basement likes to flood a bit every time rain falls on frozen ground - don't really need more things to do this weekend.

Can never have too much moisture! IIRC the spring preceding that wonderful cool "summer" of 09 was wet as hell.

I'd take all the rain we can get if it means another cool summer!

+10. Except almost all the rain will run off from this storm.

I'm a fan of wet patterns, but areas west of here need it a lot more than we do.

Nothing more than a few sprinkles here. Cloud deck is thin enough I can see a few of the brighter stars.

Archived