• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
DISCUSSION ONLY: Friday night/Saturda rain/snow (2/15-16/2013)

famartin

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well good thing you don't have to do that because half of that is non snow. Map i have shows around 3 or so for you. Which is solid to

850mb thicknesses are below freezing for 90% of the event, and that extends down to 1000mb level. Way more than 3 inches, the snow maps are not very accurate for coastal and ocean locations. I have followed them for years. Even if I somehow end up with only 3", this is a huge hit for Inland SNJ. Nearly 12" in some areas. 

12z NAM, which has the same thermal profile as the GFS.

prec.png

Finally models are sniffing out whats been on the table talk for several days.

Now we just need a little more shift towards ABE ;)

Yes, bring it on.  These nickel and dime events are better than nothing, but I'd like to see at least 6 inches from one storm this winter!  From what I've seen, it actually seems the Nam (and the Euro) sniffed this out first going back a few days ago (albeit not nearly as strong as the 12z GFS). 

850mb thicknesses are below freezing for 90% of the event, and that extends down to 1000mb level. Way more than 3 inches, the snow maps are not very accurate for coastal and ocean locations. I have followed them for years. Even if I somehow end up with only 3", this is a huge hit for Inland SNJ. Nearly 12" in some areas.

your bl stinks to start off. The front gets a little hung up do to the storm development. hr 45 you have had .15 qpf but your surface temp is 39-40

your bl stinks to start off. The front gets a little hung up do to the storm development. hr 45 you have had .15 qpf but your surface temp is 39-40

I'm not going to argue with you but the low position is way out over HSE. That kind of low track is never rain here. Surface temps would drop into the lower 30's within minutes with that kind of atmospheric profile. Surface winds are out of the NNW.

With temps at 850 as cold as they are (< -5), this might be a case where the heavier precip will be snow while the lighter precip could be rain, though if the GFS is right, everyone should go over to snow towards the end.

yea looking at the gfs probably south of i95 starts as rain or mix. i95 and esp just away from it would probasbly start as snow. The skew-t over wayne at hr 45 right when the snow is starting looks solidly snow 

GFS_3_2013021412_F45_40.0000N_75.5000W.p

If this occurred, the ratios would be over 10:1... the 700mb temps are greater than -12, not sure on the lift aspect yet.

AGreed. and limited winds in the snow growth region, dendrites galore.

anyhow, just to emphasize the shift the models took, compared the 18z GFS from yesterday (right side of pics) to the 12z today (left side)

precip shield shift:

uhadybu6.jpg

And the H5 look. This is the most impressive shift IMHO:

ybahehed.jpg

Notice, less energy at the the front axis/leading edge and more in the base of the trough.

Archived