• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
February 8th Potential Bomb Part II

earthlight

this made me smile. you've been pretty negative all season on our snow threats and almost always right. I hope you score one here

Actually, this is the first threat that made any sense. The birth genuine southern stream energy makes a huge difference. I think there could be more in the pipeline now that we're here, I was just skeptical that we'd get here, but saw it coming about a week ago, along with the Euro!

WX/PT

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much appreciated.

No problem. You might have some BL problems initially, so some of that precip is probably rain. Not sure the percentage...maybe 3/4s of the QPF is snow? You guys are below 0C at 850mb the whole time, so my estimation could easily be wrong. But initially being further southwest leads to a little more boundary layer taint at the start. 

Ptravel...

Actually, this is the first threat that made any sense. The birth genuine southern stream energy makes a huge difference. I think there could be more in the pipeline now that we're here, I was just skeptical that we'd get here, but saw it coming about a week ago, along with the Euro!

WX/PT

No problem. You might have some BL problems initially, so some of that precip is probably rain. Not sure the percentage...maybe 3/4s of the QPF is snow? You guys are below 0C at 850mb the whole time, so my estimation could easily be wrong. But initially being further southwest leads to a little more boundary layer taint at the start. 

Thanks. 3/4 sounds fine, if that's what it is.

It had one remarkable winter, I think maybe 04-05 where it seemingly nailed everything, much like the GFS tore it up in 03-04 but otherwise its been pretty on edge since 03 or 04 when it came in. 

I remember it being good in 09 - 11 esp with QPF ( I know its high res but now it seems, rap and HRRR and much better even in extreme short range)

I would think he still stands by it, I think the absolute upper limit for NYC in this storm is probably about 8-14 inches or so, obviously that assumes no band like occurred on 2/12/06 or 12/26/10.

I think there will be a band like that, all the models are showing a band setting up in our area. ( I think it will set up some where from queens to western Suffolk)

I would think he still stands by it, I think the absolute upper limit for NYC in this storm is probably about 8-14 inches or so, obviously that assumes no band like occurred on 2/12/06 or 12/26/10.

I could see the NYC metro region getting 12-18", not ready to go with 20"+ just yet, regardless its still a solid high impact event.

I get nervous with deformation bands...especially with a stalled storm. Ratios usually go through the roof and most models grossly underestimate the QPF. Another item that has me nervous is the idea that the deformation band originates from Upstate NY (if we go by the GFS).

Mike...that was posted by DT over and hour ago before the Euro came out.

When i logged on facebook, that was the 1st post that came up on the news feed so i assumed it was just posted, however, I do not expect DT to back off of that, even the latest euro is not showing the outlandish totals some are suggesting

The euro solution is nearly double that. Of course its possible. But I get that's difficult to actually call for that much snow up front. My first and only call yesterday was 12-18, 24" lollies. Sticking to it.

Archived