e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February 2nd-3rd Event Observations

Edge Weather

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As God is my witness, I *knew* you would chime in (and contradict me).  

:lol:

I consider myself to have been contradicting TWC, but as you wish...

Anyway, here's real "ripping" snow... took these a week ago.  Too bad it lasted less than an hour, I think it was the best snow of the winter here.  (if the quality is a little poor, sorry, these are iPhone pics)

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/personal/Elko/07-2013/01-January_2013/14-Snow_on_January_27th/01-Heavy_snow_squall_just_after_midnight/

(note, the real "ripping" is toward the end of the set...)

Anyway, here's real "ripping" snow... took these a week ago.  Too bad it lasted less than an hour, I think it was the best snow of the winter here.  (if the quality is a little poor, sorry, these are iPhone pics)

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/personal/Elko/07-2013/01-January_2013/14-Snow_on_January_27th/01-Heavy_snow_squall_just_after_midnight/

Not to bust any you know what, but that was basically what it was like a half hour ago. Just sayin!

I guess in this winter the definition of "ripping" means more than one flake falling at the same time. 

And I wish we had a true nickel and dime event, I'll take a solid 2-4 or 3-6 inch storm, the best I've seen since early November was an inch and a half, incredibly paltry. 

I guess this winter, nickel and dime events = 0.5" - 1.0"

The overwhelmingly dry pattern is really annoying. We haven't seen a juiced up event in ages except for a rainy cutter. These dustings are getting really tiresome in this nickel-and-dime regime.

I'm really getting sick and tired of these little coatings as well. They're really becoming annoying. They're just making me more hungry for a REAL snow event. A half inch to inch doesn't do much good because it's pretty much gone the next day, unless you have frigid temps. If we could just get even 2 or 3 inches, we'd at least see a little snow on the ground for a couple days. But we keep getting these dusting to inch type of events. It sucks.

I have only a quarter inch here in Piscataway, and the light snow is down to flurries. Radar looks lousy. Very unimpressive event. I have no idea how we're in a 1 to 3 inch forecast. We're notr even gonna get close to an inch.

Correction just got home and measured its a quarter inch. Slowing down now. I agree, the call for 2-3 will not verify

Difference between 1/2 mile vis and 1/4 vis isn't that much.

Its actually pretty significant.  Consider that in order to halve your visibility, you have to double the amount of particles (in this case, snowflakes) which are blocking your vision).  So really, 1/4 visibility has about twice the amount of snow falling.  Of course flake size etc matters too, so two days of 1/4 visibility and heavy snow might not mean the same snowfall rate, but you get the idea.

Its actually pretty significant.  Consider that in order to halve your visibility, you have to double the amount of particles (in this case, snowflakes) which are blocking your vision).  So really, 1/4 visibility has about twice the amount of snow falling.  Of course flake size etc matters too, so two days of 1/4 visibility and heavy snow might not mean the same snowfall rate, but you get the idea.

I can agree. I was thinking of the difference between 10 mile visibility and 5 mile visibility. You'll see it if you look in the distance, but within 30ft you won't really notice a change. I guess it's different when you get down between 1/2 mile visibility and 1/4 mile visibility.

I can agree. I was thinking of the difference between 10 mile visibility and 5 mile visibility. You'll see it if you look in the distance, but within 30ft you won't really notice a change. I guess it's different when you get down between 1/2 mile visibility and 1/4 mile visibility.

Yeah, consider that it doesn't take much in the way of snow flakes to drop your visibility to 5 miles.  But consider how many snowflakes are falling when visibility is a half mile, and then double it to get down to 1/4 mile.  That's a lot.

:lol:

I consider myself to have been contradicting TWC, but as you wish...

(note, the real "ripping" is toward the end of the set...)

Great pics, but what's with the "V"'s on Elko County Court House? 

I can't believe people are complaining about these small events...I'll take this over nothing in a heartbeat! About an inch here in Islip Terrace, NY.

Agreed. If we could get a several hour period of light snow like this every other day through all of winter with temperatures in the teens and 20s, we'd maintain a snowcover, and no one would be able to complain about a coating of snow being a huge inconvenience. And it looks so beautiful. 

About half an inch here btw.

Archived