• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February 2nd-3rd Event Observations

Edge Weather

At times this vis has been lower than that. Our definitions of ripping are probably slightly different, but for a light event, it's definitely ripping.

To report heavy snow, you need visibility of 1/4 mile or less. I really doubt you are getting that looking at radar, so it's not ripping. 

1/2 mile is moderate snow, and any greater visibility is light snow. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To report heavy snow, you need visibility of 1/4 mile or less. I really doubt you are getting that looking at radar, so it's not ripping. 

My definition of ripping is not heavy snow though and not 1/4 mile vis. I never said heavy snow, I said ripping. Our definitions are slightly different that's all.

TWC Craig is likely right; we have had some genuine moderate snow over the area (easily confirmed by radar)...no one questions your reports, do the gentleman the same courtesy.

TWC Craig is likely right; we have had some genuine moderate snow over the area (easily confirmed by radar)...no one questions your reports, do the gentleman the same courtesy.

But is moderate snow the same as "ripping"? I would just say "moderate snow" because "ripping" makes it sound like heavy snow (<1/4 mi visibility) or whiteout conditions, which isn't what's happening. I agree that LI has had some slightly juicier bands tonight but if he's only gotten an inch in a couple hours of snow, then it can't be ripping. I think people are prone to exaggeration because it's snowed so little this winter. 

Anyway, light snow here at 23/20...

But is moderate snow the same as "ripping"? I would just say "moderate snow" because "ripping" makes it sound like heavy snow (<1/4 mi visibility) or whiteout conditions, which isn't what's happening. I agree that LI has had some slightly juicier bands tonight but if he's only gotten an inch in a couple hours of snow, then it can't be ripping. I think people are prone to exaggeration because it's snowed so little this winter. 

It's not, but for such a light snow progged event, 30dbz band and about 1/2 mile visibility, I used the word "ripping". What's the big deal between 1/2" vis and 1/4" vis? To some it's like a whole new world.

"Ripping" is not in the NOAA manual...but the argument can be made that true moderate snow can be characterized as such...the Moderator from Union County utilizes that colloquialism with great frequency and snowfall amounts from that county the last two years have not been extraordinary.  BTW, my last word on the matter. 

I have to agree, if you aren't getting at least 1" per hour, its not "ripping" in my book.  But then again, I'm not experiencing the same winter you are, so maybe definitions get skewed when its snowed so little.

I don't see it ending anytime soon.

It might as well end soon, talk about light, tiny flakes. It's like grains of sand are falling right now, will probably get the inch before it completely stops. Definitely didn't need the winter weather advisory. 

I certainly don't mind these light events if you wanna call it that but even a solid advisory snow event would be nice right now. A good 3-6" storm as this winter has been largely disappointing so far. 

Just got off train in edison. About a half inch and steady light snow. Beautiful

I have only a quarter inch here in Piscataway, and the light snow is down to flurries. Radar looks lousy. Very unimpressive event. I have no idea how we're in a 1 to 3 inch forecast. We're notr even gonna get close to an inch.

I have to agree, if you aren't getting at least 1" per hour, its not "ripping" in my book.  But then again, I'm not experiencing the same winter you are, so maybe definitions get skewed when its snowed so little.

As God is my witness, I *knew* you would chime in (and contradict me).  

It might as well end soon, talk about light, tiny flakes. It's like grains of sand are falling right now, will probably get the inch before it completely stops. Definitely didn't need the winter weather advisory. 

I certainly don't mind these light events if you wanna call it that but even a solid advisory snow event would be nice right now. A good 3-6" storm as this winter has been largely disappointing so far. 

The overwhelmingly dry pattern is really annoying. We haven't seen a juiced up event in ages except for a rainy cutter. These dustings are getting really tiresome in this nickel-and-dime regime.

Archived