• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Mid to late February Pattern Discussion...stormy or end of winter?

ORH_wxman

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL check out that blocking on the GFS. Something has to happen.

This is unlikely to play out perfectly, but if this weekend can deliever (and not even an epic solution, just a 7-10" type storm) and 2/26 can be just cold enough for the interior...this has the potential to be a 2 week stretch that goes down in lore around MBY. It could also be pretty mundane too. But the high end ceiling for this stretch is ridiculous.

This is unlikely to play out perfectly, but if this weekend can deliever (and not even an epic solution, just a 7-10" type storm) and 2/26 can be just cold enough for the interior...this has the potential to be a 2 week stretch that goes down in lore around MBY. It could also be pretty mundane too. But the high end ceiling for this stretch is ridiculous.

It really does have a huge ceiling. The Atlantic is killing it right now. Not often we can say that this winter, but it's doing it now. Eventually that ridge out west should help make an environment conducive for a cutoff near the east.

It really does have a huge ceiling. The Atlantic is killing it right now. Not often we can say that this winter, but it's doing it now. Eventually that ridge out west should help make an environment conducive for a cutoff near the east.

Yeah I said this a couple days ago....the signal for a cutoff in the east was pretty awesome just looking at the height anomalies to our north and west on the ensembles....its now appearing on guidance in the OP runs.

Wow, Euro is nearly all snow for interior SNE N of the pike in the hills for the Feb 26-27 event...very close call. That event is def interesting for those parts. Its been trending colder. Wouldn't be surprised if debbie-downer Hubbdave sees mostly snow from that.

Wow, Euro is nearly all snow for interior SNE N of the pike in the hills for the Feb 26-27 event...very close call. That event is def interesting for those parts. Its been trending colder. Wouldn't be surprised if debbie-downer Hubbdave sees mostly snow from that.

Can anyone tell us what areas south of the pike might expect? Esp since most people live there

Heyyyy...I was mentioning yesterday it looked good...

This is the time of year I clean up. Sorry if you taint

How much snow will you miss before then? Will they close Logan stranding you in India for the 5 day snow event?...lol.

You had to articulate my greatest fear!  I get in early afternoon on the 28th, to Logan.  Then I leave again on March 3.  Oy!  I hope we can get enough cold air involved in the next 2 weeks.  GYX is talking rain outside the mountains next week.

At one point it looked like a big coastal storm on March 1.  But did that become the 27th storm?

You had to articulate my greatest fear!  I get in early afternoon on the 28th, to Logan.  Then I leave again on March 3.  Oy!  I hope we can get enough cold air involved in the next 2 weeks.  GYX is talking rain outside the mountains next week.

At one point it looked like a big coastal storm on March 1.  But did that become the 27th storm?

Keep your fingers crossed. We're in a parade of big storms and developing epic blocking. Something great is unfolding before our very eyes.

Keep your fingers crossed. We're in a parade of big storms and developing epic blocking. Something great is unfolding before our very eyes.

Yes I've been following fairly closely from over here.  A little worried about cold air...I hope the block can tap it enough.  GYX not saying much about next week except for a warmer system with rain.  That is disconcerting.  But we can take our chances with a parade of storms.  Anyhow I should come back to a nice snowpack.  Seems like the biggest opportunities besides this weekend will come after Feb 27 and last for 10+ days because the blocking gets established mid next week.  You would think next weeks mid-week storm would trend colder and then perhaps we do get a shot for a biggie on March 2.  Who knows....

Yes I've been following fairly closely from over here.  A little worried about cold air...I hope the block can tap it enough.  GYX not saying much about next week except for a warmer system with rain.  That is disconcerting.  But we can take our chances with a parade of storms.  Anyhow I should come back to a nice snowpack.  Seems like the biggest opportunities besides this weekend will come after Feb 27 and last for 10+ days because the blocking gets established mid next week.  You would think next weeks mid-week storm would trend colder and then perhaps we do get a shot for a biggie on March 2.  Who knows....

I think we have plenty of chances right up to the equinox and maybe beyond.

So its 100% rain from ORH south and 100% snow north? That doesn't seem like it makes sense

No, but north of the pike is where the best chance for snow would be. I'm probably not going to get all snow from that, but it could give my area and N MA/S NH a decent front end thump before a changeover...then maybe back to light snow for the ending.

Its a ways out, so who knows where it might trend in the next few days. But its def wagons north on that event.

No, but north of the pike is where the best chance for snow would be. I'm probably not going to get all snow from that, but it could give my area and N MA/S NH a decent front end thump before a changeover...then maybe back to light snow for the ending.

Its a ways out, so who knows where it might trend in the next few days. But its def wagons north on that event.

So basically what you're saying is its a Rainer south of you?

agree and it's a fault . I've been like that since childhood. I'm just a worrier. Probably why I'm half full cup instead of half empty kind of person

Well they all can't be snow. It def starts as rain for a while I think. But, think of it this way..it potentially sets us up for a fun period down the road. 

Archived