• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February Pattern and Storm Discussion

POWERSTROKE

Upper features are pretty close, but there will be giant BL issues to overcome for Mid-South folks given the lack of a cold air source. 5h low pops up, then disappears, then pops up and starts strengthening as it gets near the coast. Need those features to be strong much farther west or it will be a cold rain. Truthfully, I'm not sure even if this thing tracks farther south that it's going to matter.

Robert just tweeted that mid south snow chances are increasing for next week.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see what you are talking about. I seem to be having trouble getting my posts to post. I wrote out a long one that never went thru. Anyways yes, not a classic nao look with a 50/50. Not sure how Allan gets his values.

I'm not sure of the algorithm, but it's got to be looking at heights relative to normal across the NAO region, which unfortunately takes into account east-based areas. Honestly, I never look at those charts anymore, other than to he'll identify trends. Looking at H5 is of much, much greater value in helping to identify a favorable pattern, IMO.

Robert just tweeted that mid south snow chances are increasing for next week.

I could have told you that a few days ago. Looks like an Arkansas special...with parts of TN being in there too. Still a few days to chew on this but looks like it is for the regions who have been getting winter weather this winter already...JMO.

I'm not sure of the algorithm, but it's got to be looking at heights relative to normal across the NAO region, which unfortunately takes into account east-based areas. Honestly, I never look at those charts anymore, other than to he'll identify trends. Looking at H5 is of much, much greater value in helping to identify a favorable pattern, IMO.

I'm pretty sure he has it based on this map, or similar....difference between the 500mb height anomalies between the 2 regions....and he has 3 measurements - basin-wide NAO, eastern half, and western half (source - http://www.cep.rutgers.edu/~oman/NAO.htm)

It does bend the height lines thru Greenland and into the Davis Strait area. I guess this is what it's picking up on. That is the best spot for us to get a -nao IMO, In the Davis Strait region.

Upper features are pretty close, but there will be giant BL issues to overcome for Mid-South folks given the lack of a cold air source. 5h low pops up, then disappears, then pops up and starts strengthening as it gets near the coast. Need those features to be strong much farther west or it will be a cold rain. Truthfully, I'm not sure even if this thing tracks farther south that it's going to matter.

There's more stream separation with the southern wave separating more from the northern piece, and that creates more confluence and sfc high pressure to the north...but I agree, I don't see this southern piece digging far enough south....you'd want to see it dig farther south, and stronger.

Lots of bullish data, if you like winter, the last 24 hours for the Mid South and Carolinas. Where do I start, GFS or the European weeklies?

The European weekly charts turned sharply colder the next 3 weeks, as mentioned over the last couple pages. GFS and op Euro in good agreement from late next week into the following week for the Southeast. The snow question will depend on individual systems. I still have doubts about V-Day but President’s Day might work out. The issue next week is that buffet line into the West Coast. 12Z GFS just in; continues to insist on Tennessee snow, but probably missing the next Rockies wave upstream. Euro has stronger Rockies wave and shears out Southeast V-Day system. Even if the GFS storm track is correct, I figure it’ll be too warm Southeast. Hope I'm wrong about that. However often when the epicenter of the cold is in the Plains, cold can’t get into the Southeast if WAA ahead of a low. But in the wake…

By President’s Day models indicate repeated shortwaves digging into the CONUS trough, which could finally get the Southeast involved. It’s the same buffet line above, so slight risks are to the milder side. However by then we’re getting a little more love from a –NAO. BTW I’d say neither the Atlantic or Pacific have been particularly hostile overall this winter. Smaller scale features have been the issue. December featured a subtle but significant weak ridge over the Deep South that affected all the Southeast. Buffet line into California/West is also a mild signal in the Southeast. If California can quit for a week, Southeast gets something the week of President’s Day.

Weeks 3-4 are shown colder than normal in the Southeast on the Euro weeklies. CFS is actually milder, a reversal compared to most of this winter relative to the Euro weeklies. MJO is robust now, and getting ready to enter colder 8,1,2 which helps the week 2 forecast. However what giveth can taketh away if it stays strong into 3-5. MJO forecast to weaken as it stumbles into warmer 3-5 stages in March. As mentioned earlier in the thread, MJO has over-achieved this winter so mild risks are very real weeks 3-4. If the MJO totally dies like two years ago, then the Alaska situation becomes less important relative to the North Atlantic. Greenland blocking shown through week 4 on both weekly products. If the MJO stays robust, Alaska ridge retrogrades and the Southeast warms up weeks 3-4. I lean toward the warmer solution, but hope for the colder.

OK, time to go live vicariously through the NYC and Boston Forums. Hammer time! :popcorn:

The fact that the GFS has shown the H5 closed off again at 114-117hrs,having lost it for a couple of runs, should give the Tennessee folks something to ponder.  As Burger noted, a new feature at 189hrs gives Atlanta (as well as, don't laugh, Panama City, (where is PCBjr?), snow. (no soundings to support this, just the 850 line.)

I could have told you that a few days ago. Looks like an Arkansas special...with parts of TN being in there too. Still a few days to chew on this but looks like it is for the regions who have been getting winter weather this winter already...JMO.

Robert mentioned this last weekend but said just have to wait and see

Lots of bullish data, if you like winter, the last 24 hours for the Mid South and Carolinas. Where do I start, GFS or the European weeklies?

The European weekly charts turned sharply colder the next 3 weeks, as mentioned over the last couple pages. GFS and op Euro in good agreement from late next week into the following week for the Southeast. The snow question will depend on individual systems. I still have doubts about V-Day but President’s Day might work out. The issue next week is that buffet line into the West Coast. 12Z GFS just in; continues to insist on Tennessee snow, but probably missing the next Rockies wave upstream. Euro has stronger Rockies wave and shears out Southeast V-Day system. Even if the GFS storm track is correct, I figure it’ll be too warm Southeast. Hope I'm wrong about that. However often when the epicenter of the cold is in the Plains, cold can’t get into the Southeast if WAA ahead of a low. But in the wake…

By President’s Day models indicate repeated shortwaves digging into the CONUS trough, which could finally get the Southeast involved. It’s the same buffet line above, so slight risks are to the milder side. However by then we’re getting a little more love from a –NAO. BTW I’d say neither the Atlantic or Pacific have been particularly hostile overall this winter. Smaller scale features have been the issue. December featured a subtle but significant weak ridge over the Deep South that affected all the Southeast. Buffet line into California/West is also a mild signal in the Southeast. If California can quit for a week, Southeast gets something the week of President’s Day.

Weeks 3-4 are shown colder than normal in the Southeast on the Euro weeklies. CFS is actually milder, a reversal compared to most of this winter relative to the Euro weeklies. MJO is robust now, and getting ready to enter colder 8,1,2 which helps the week 2 forecast. However what giveth can taketh away if it stays strong into 3-5. MJO forecast to weaken as it stumbles into warmer 3-5 stages in March. As mentioned earlier in the thread, MJO has over-achieved this winter so mild risks are very real weeks 3-4. If the MJO totally dies like two years ago, then the Alaska situation becomes less important relative to the North Atlantic. Greenland blocking shown through week 4 on both weekly products. If the MJO stays robust, Alaska ridge retrogrades and the Southeast warms up weeks 3-4. I lean toward the warmer solution, but hope for the colder.

OK, time to go live vicariously through the NYC and Boston Forums. Hammer time! :popcorn:

thanks Jeff, great summary there. 

Interested in the bolded.   Is that the "shortwave" verus "longwave" issue?  What part of the models do you look at to identify this buffet line?  Trying to learn about these smaller details and their effect on the SE.  What does it mean if "California can quit"?  Sorry for all the questions, just trying to follow.  Thanks. :weenie:

Well said Don. This is a weather forum. It is just possibilities out there showing on the models. Not like a thread has been started yet.

True enough.  However, when you discuss the possibility of winter weather in the long range and someone says they see nothing but warm and no snow, that is a possibility as well.  Lets go to the verification scores for this year. :)

as has been mentioned before, a lack of a real cold air source is going to dampen any V-Day threat for most of us (if not all), unless the more amplified GFS occurs and some get lucky on the backside. But I would not hold my breath for that (as I'm sure many of you know). Which leaves most of us only a two-week window (at best 4 but I stop looking after March 1) for something to pop.

I'm not terribly optimistic, truthfully.

Archived