• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 15-MOrch possible wintry threats

tombo82685

How can the media jump off the deep end like this? The morning calls headline in today's paper "Major blizzard possible next week"

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-allentown-lehigh-valley-major-blizzard-next-wee-20130228,0,5578245.story

I think the word blizzard is becoming overused. A lot has to come together to get true blizzard conditions to occur, especially here with less open areas compared to the Plains. In the case of next weeks storm, if it happens, the snow consistency may end up being wet which is even harder to get blizzard conditions to occur. There is a lot still that has to come together for this storm. Now if the article said "major winter storm possible" that would be better in my opinion.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the word blizzard is becoming overused. A lot has to come together to get true blizzard conditions to occur, especially here with less open areas compared to the Plains. In the case of next weeks storm, if it happens, the snow consistency may end up being wet which is even harder to get blizzard conditions to occur. There is a lot still that has to come together for this storm. Now if the article said "major winter storm possible" that would be better in my opinion.

Agreed. I think they're using the term blizzard for a storm with heavy snows or something towards that effect

NW of PHL is the key on this run.

Verbatim @TTN:

12Z Wednesday - Rain/snow mix with wet-bulb zero of 1100 feet AGL

18Z Wednesday - Rain with wet-bulb zero of 2000 feet AGL

0Z Thursday - Rain/snow mix with wet-bulb zero of 1300 feet AGL

6Z Thursday - Rain with wet-bulb zero of 5500 feet AGL

12Z Thursday - Rain with wet-bulb zero of 5500 feet AGL

So... yeah, this isn't actually a good run along I-95 itself.  Certainly not in S NJ. Verbatim.  But like I said, it'll change another dozen times.

I think GFS sends so much LLWarmth into the coastal plain because it wraps up the low too much. It sends the initial vortex farther south than any model thus once the phase happens it has more room to come west. 

The low track is better than the EC's... but remember, its March now.

Need the northern stream to interact a little more to get that colder air down to 95. Anyhow, pretty big shifts in the GFS in 24hrs...

Thats all we can ask for is that there is a phased solution possible....and a nor'easter along the coast.

18z run yesterday:

eraneryn.jpg

Archived