• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18z Models 12/16/2010

SE bias of the GFS rearing its ugly head once again, eh? I would rather have what we have now rather than the reverse-- this is much better than the 12z EURO showing a whiff to the east and the 18z GFS showing a direct hit-- we know how many times that has worked out lol.

correct Alex

as I said yesterday I believe, the GFS showing an off shore scenario is never the kiss of death it is when it shows an inland/lakes cutter track

plenty of big storms over the years that the GFS (and its not alone) showed ots track only to come up the coast

plus, I think people may be forgetting the GGEM came way west at 12z as well, so Euro has support

I know for those south of NE, GGEM wasn't so great, but it was a huge jump west; forget the qpf for now

HELLO 18Z UKIE

18z gfs ukie overlay color gfs

post-4-0-69682600-1292538335.gif

Ukie is closer, but still a miss-72 hr 700mb RH, though it probably gets you Midlo and ENE as well

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbcalc.cgi?re=us&id=&zoom=.6&ti=UTC≥=1024x768&mo=ukmet≤=700&va=rhum&in=5&pl=cf&ft=h72&cu=latest&overlay=no&mo=≤=&va=&in=&pl=ln&ft=h24&cu=latest

Leading to a more westerly track correct?

Yes. Since there is a large contrast between the early-season warm ocean temps and the below normal cold land temps, the storm would tend to follow the coast, between the two extreme temperature zones, so long as there is nothing to push it out to sea, which I can't find anything that would as long as the PV retrogrades west as progged.

Both the 18Z NAM and GFS has the low development to far east of the hyper-baroclinic field. It is like the ocean will not add sensible heating to the surrounding atmosphere. For this reason and many other I feel a solution more like the ECMWF and Gem may be more correct.

I was just talking about this same thing with some of the seniors and professors in the Meteo. department here at Millersville today. They mentioned the exact same thing. They pointed to the fact that the waters 50 miles offshore of DE are still +15°C while air temps are near or just below 0°C.. That makes for a really nice delta T to plug in as a start.

Not to mention this as well... Way above Avg. Northern Gulf Stream

natlanti.fc.gif

I was just talking about this same thing with some of the seniors and professors in the Meteo. department here at Millersville today. They mentioned the exact same thing. They pointed to the fact that the waters 50 miles offshore of DE are still +15°C while air temps are near or just below 0°C.. That makes for a really nice delta T to plug in as a start.

Not to mention this as well... Way above Avg. Northern Gulf Stream

natlanti.fc.gif

I am wondering if this is why the models , As of Now, seem to be tracking this up the Gulf stream until off the DELMARVA?

Archived