Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Climate Change Banter

Jonger

Its post

Pretty worrisome that the arctic is expected to warm another 7-9C but 2100.

Everyone blows off the methane thing. But in a world where snow cover is gone by May 1st except mtns.

And the Kara, Laptev, ESS and Chuchki are ice free by mid to late June.

That's worrisome.

I'd love to see a model run scenarios where those seas are ice free by June 20th.

And then a large ridge sets up over the ESS/Chuchki/Laptev.

jbKKJbw.jpg

The shelf is 50M or shallower. Most of it is closer to 25M.

With that red area mostly 8-15M.

Its easy to forget how shallow these regions are.

Today we have seen ssts reach 10-12C in the Laptev.

I'd guess in the future I described we could see SSTs reach 15-20C for a couple months.

But more importantly the water along the sea floor will be way to warm

Plus all the extra direct solar heating.

Sounds pretty freaking risky to me.

By 2080-2100 Co2 will be 550PPM+.

Methane easily double today's.

Looks like a hell of a gamble

Pj1Txdz.jpg

Latest Euro weakens the "death ridge" considerably. And actually turns quite favorable for the Beaufort days 6-10.

No posts about it...shocking.

When everyone isn't speaking the ***holes can't help themselves.

This person could have just written some analysis.

And like magic there would be a post about it.

At this point I would like to see that kind of antagonizing banned from the discussion.

If people under no circumstances are allowed to trash bait or antagonize other members.

This includes weatherguys ramblings.

The quality of discussion would increase a lot.

Natural variation has mellowed folks out a lot.

Which is great.

Apologies. The ECS discussion is agitating like nothing else usually. I just think the timeframe is too small to gather an accurate picture of ECS from observations. If we put all our eggs into the low ECS basket, we're fooked if we are wrong and all our policy making decisions go out the window.

We should prepare for the worst, and expect the impossible. With modern advances like the EmDrive, it should be possible to follow the precautionary principle without breaking the bank.

Natural variability has not mellowed me out. I will not be disarrayed by short term trends.

Yes, there are numerous studies with low TCR's, but I also have (estimating) at least 25+ papers concluding ECS values of 1.5C or lower. Again, not saying that's necessarily what I believe, but there definitely seems to be enough disagreement for the door to be left open < 1.5C. There are an even greater amount of recent studies concluding 1.5C-2.0C ECS. Maybe I will create a new thread pertaining to this topic.

This is probably only if you include 'papers' published in journals that don't actually have real peer-review. I actually don't know of any peer-reviewed studies that put ECS under 1.5C. There are a few that have the lower bound at 1.5C or just below.

The final report summarizing the recent Ringberg ECS workshop has been posted. The report is not earthshaking. The main recommendation is to focus research on the science needed to justify ECS below 2C and above 4C. The unstated implication is that ECS between 2 and 4C are reasonable in the absence of new science..

http://www.mpimet.mpg.de/en/science/the-atmosphere-in-the-earth-system/ringberg-workshop/ringberg-2014.html

http://www.climate.gov/news-features/event-tracker/alaska-sets-new-record-earliest-day-temperatures-90s

Alaska sets new record for earliest day with temperatures in the 90s

It’s been a warm, dry spring for much of interior Alaska. On the afternoon of May 23, a new statewide record was set for the earliest day in the year with a temperature in the 90s. A daytime high of 91°F was noted by a cooperative observer in Eagle, where temperatures have been recorded (with some breaks) since the 1890s.
Alaska_RTMA_23May2015_610.jpg?itok=Ie6H1

Some regions of Alaska were warmer than Washington DC on May 23rd. Challenging to warp the mind around that one.

http://www.climate.gov/news-features/event-tracker/alaska-sets-new-record-earliest-day-temperatures-90s

Alaska sets new record for earliest day with temperatures in the 90s

Some regions of Alaska were warmer than Washington DC on May 23rd. Challenging to warp the mind around that one.

You are confusing weather with climate.  It was also incredibly cold in the northeast U.S this past winter....

Here comes the king. This paper comes from the same crowd that thinks everything is natural variability. They aren't fooling me. 

I agree with KING here. There is so much bias now both sides of the climate fight that the science is being distorted both sides.

I agree with KING here. There is so much bias now both sides of the climate fight that the science is being distorted both sides.

How can we ever be sure of anything on such an important issue? Or if you don't think it is important, are you willing to risk being wrong? Precautionary principle?

This is probably only if you include 'papers' published in journals that don't actually have real peer-review. I actually don't know of any peer-reviewed studies that put ECS under 1.5C. There are a few that have the lower bound at 1.5C or just below.

They are all peer-reviewed.

Rather than wait (possibly forever) for Isotherm to share links to the papers he claims support lower ECS values, I've been reading some of what Google Scholar shows as recent papers on the topic.  One I found interesting, and which many of you may already have seen, is Millar et al 2015 which, if I'm understanding it fully, gives a 'best estimate' for TCR of around 1.5 C, and a range for ECS of 2.0 to around 4.5 C.

Mountains out of mole hills. TGW come'on man.... xD. We will have a favorable pattern again this summer (like every normal summer) for ice retention, anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. but it will be counter-balanced by the early head-start.

It will all make sense when NSIDC and JAXA begin tanking in earnest. I know why you would be hesitant to call it for what it is, coming off a year like 2014.

The Kara low blow-up on the Euro is not a model bias. It's legit and makes sense, storms love the contrast and feed off the horizontal temperature gradients between the arctic basin and boreal regions.

If you knew what I knew, you would be taking the Arctic seriously and not just as a hobby. Just sayin'.

Mountains out of mole hills. TGW come'on man.... xD. We will have a favorable pattern again this summer (like every normal summer) for ice retention, anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. but it will be counter-balanced by the early head-start.

It will all make sense when NSIDC and JAXA begin tanking in earnest. I know why you would be hesitant to call it for what it is, coming off a year like 2014.

The Kara low blow-up on the Euro is not a model bias. It's legit and makes sense, storms love the contrast and feed off the horizontal temperature gradients between the arctic basin and boreal regions.

If you knew what I knew, you would be taking the Arctic seriously and not just as a hobby. Just sayin'.

Arrogant much!!

The warm temps were caused by super typhoon recurve which pumps up a super ridge.  What do you expect?  The brutal Alaskan winter of 2012...was it a sign of the next ice age?  Should we have sounded the alarm?

Again, a regional weather phenomenon of extreme proportions can happen but it doesn't necessarily mean anything other than it was darn hot.

Arrogant much!!

The warm temps were caused by super typhoon recurve which pumps up a super ridge.  What do you expect?  The brutal Alaskan winter of 2012...was it a sign of the next ice age?  Should we have sounded the alarm?

Again, a regional weather phenomenon of extreme proportions can happen but it doesn't necessarily mean anything other than it was darn hot.

:lmao:

The warm blob has been there for 2.5 years. New one forming off the East Coast too. I've seen some stuff in my days but this takes the cake. It makes 2012 look like weak sauce, and it was a fooking sauna here literally.

Equilibrium response means the system will deliver very warm and very cold departures somewhere on the Earth.

atl_anom.gif

'Nough said

color_newdisp_anomaly_160W_95W_15N_65N_o

I've followed arctic weather from May to September daily since 2011.

The models have a bias to warm the warm sector of these non cold core vortexes in the medium to long range.

Its an incredibly consistent happening.

SAWkCCH.jpg