• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Climate Change Banter

Jonger

Wow...Greenland melt us off to a slow start. I really think Greenland is heavily tied to sst's in the N Atlantic. A long-term -AMO would really put the breaks on the melt seasons there.

EDIT: to clarify...I mean a slow down compared to the last decade

It's the only reason why the rest of the Arctic is not below average and was connected w/early Beaufort torch. The AMOC is failing so it's not a true -AMO.

#1 It's not a -AMO anyway....yet

#2 AMOC failing???

1.) I believe it is, but the -AMO has been unable to lock in during a 6-month window for whatever reason.

2015 0.012 0.016 -0.109 (March 2015) -0.051

2.) Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation is on the decline.

Read more (new study): http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v5/n5/full/nclimate2554.html

One could probably argue we are possibly looking at the beginning stages of -AMO regime but we are far from a full out -AMO the numbers speak for them selves.

2014   -0.042   -0.023   -0.061   -0.074    0.019    0.082    0.242    0.355    0.330    0.312    0.085    0.079
1975   -0.260   -0.325   -0.296   -0.332   -0.375   -0.282   -0.258   -0.172   -0.323   -0.340   -0.328   -0.308

One could probably argue we are possibly looking at the beginning stages of -AMO regime but we are far from a full out -AMO the numbers speak for them selves.

2014   -0.042   -0.023   -0.061   -0.074    0.019    0.082    0.242    0.355    0.330    0.312    0.085    0.079
1975   -0.260   -0.325   -0.296   -0.332   -0.375   -0.282   -0.258   -0.172   -0.323   -0.340   -0.328   -0.308

Correct!

1.) I believe it is, but the -AMO has been unable to lock in during a 6-month window for whatever reason.

2015 0.012 0.016 -0.109 (March 2015) -0.051

2.) Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation is on the decline.

Read more (new study): http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v5/n5/full/nclimate2554.html

Saying the AOMC is failing is WAY to premature. A -AMO not "locking in" now doesnt indicate aN AMOC failure. AMO is gradual not a sudden flip of the coin...although the SST's in the N. Atlantic have cooled over the last 3 years rather quickly. But the behavior so far is very consistent to the way changes have taken place over the last 50 years of the AMO.

I was not around in the 1950s with high resolution SST maps, never assume anything. The defining feature that sets apart this -AMO from all the rest is the very warm West Atlantic and Gulf Stream 'heat streak'. Which either means this is a blip in the long-term +AMO or the AMOC has partially failed, leading to a 'traffic jam' of heat.

color_newdisp_anomaly_100W_35W_15N_65N_o

I was not around in the 1950s with high resolution SST maps, never assume anything. The defining feature that sets apart this -AMO from all the rest is the very warm West Atlantic and Gulf Stream 'heat streak'. Which either means this is a blip in the long-term +AMO or the AMOC has partially failed, leading to a 'traffic jam' of heat.

I would go with the latter. Really haven't been expecting a deepening -AMO for anotherror 5-10 years. The AMO is not negative right now anyway...it's hovering around neutral.

I expect this is a blip, just like the current +PDO is a blip in its long-term negative cycle similar to what happened in the 1950's....except this was a record +PDO.

Wasn't there a huge ridge there ?

Those are huge anomalies tho.

Insane really.

The denier blogs are freaking out over the Nino and huge warmth.

The May global sst update will be out soon.

Can't wait to see where it ended up.

Currently the Indian ocean and Npac are on fire.

The same can be said for people hoping the Earth goes up in flames. 

The same can be said for people hoping the Earth goes up in flames. 

Yep...blogosphere climate change talk is pretty much as bipolar as it gets.

Like I said to Bluewave in the other thread....imagine if that new study that shows no hiatus had a press release that said "New study shows the earth has warmed 0.15C less than previous thought" rather than a headline about no hiatus. The alarmists would have freaked out. But both headlines are accurate in describing the study. It's all about spin.

lets see how the deniers spin it.

all that ice melt (and increased ocean heat) has to unload somewhere.. 

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCI_WETTEST_MAY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-06-08-12-21-53

Feeling soggy? Last month was the wettest on record for the contiguous United States, according to federal meteorologists.

lets see how the deniers spin it.

all that ice melt (and increased ocean heat) has to unload somewhere.. 

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SCI_WETTEST_MAY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-06-08-12-21-53

You just linked us to an article that said "there's no way to connect climate change to a single soggy month"  :lol: