• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm threat (Early Jan) 1/4 - 1/6

SACRUS

LI Sound was the reason LI got very little snow (and areas along the sound got nothing) in October 2011.  It can help us in the winter and spring, but make no mistake that were it not for the sound we'd have had quite a snowstorm like others did that time.

Living near the sound, I can tell you that we have a later first frost than the southern half of the island on average.

Yes, but like I said, that was when the LI sound was in the low 60's during the oct 2011 storm, we're not going to see several inches of snow with that. We don't have water temps in the 60's now so I don't see the LI sound being the major factor when it comes to a rain/snow storm. I wouldn't be so sure about the first frosts since there isn't enough data to fully support it. General topography of the island supports the north shore would see frosts first due to the slightly higher terrain. Other than that, the only place on the south shore that I would see getting a frost before the north shore is out at Westhampton in the pine barrens with all that crazy radiational cooling.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Pamela

Yes, but like I said, that was when the LI sound was in the low 60's during the oct 2011 storm, we're not going to see several inches of snow with that. We don't have water temps in the 60's now so I don't see the LI sound being the major factor when it comes to a rain/snow storm. I wouldn't be so sure about the first frosts since there isn't enough data to fully support it. General topography of the island supports the north shore would see frosts first due to the slightly higher terrain. Other than that, the only place on the south shore that I would see getting a frost before the north shore is out at Westhampton in the pine barrens with all that crazy radiational cooling.

There is data to support a shorter growing season on the South Shore than the N. Shore...coop stations at Babylon, Bay Shore, and Patchogue (all defunct) all had considerably shorter growing seasons than Centerport or Setauket.   

Guest Pamela

Once the Sound is under 50 F...it doesn't play too much of a role in terms of rain vs snow because it is not wide enough. 

Guest Pamela

General topography of the island supports the north shore would see frosts first due to the slightly higher terrain.

As a general rule, a low lying area sees earlier frosts than a hilltop because on clear calm nights when anticyclonic conditions prevail, a temperature inversion is invariably present as the heavier, colder air pools in the lowest areas. 

Guest Pamela

With all due respect, if I live well inland, which I do, why would I be concerned with temps at the coast? Embrace the warmth. Bring on Spring!

Thanks for your contribution...unfortunately it will not be tax deductible.

The North Shore of Nassau had snow from the 2011 Oct. storm. 

If I recall correctly I had over 3.5" here in N. Syosset.

I also jackpotted on the early Nov. storm in 2012 with over 7".

Archived