CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Vendor Forecast Discussion

am19psu

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Latest at 530pm this evening from JB (paraphrased)

He likes the 18z GFS as closest to his ideas. Talks about the ghost of the Lindsay storm hanging over this pattern, the threat of the 1-2 feet of snow into NYC is very much alive and kicking but doesn't want to lose site of the bigger picture here....the Lindsay storm says to him.. okay yah there is a bit of rain but the thumping goes wild and the result is about the same. As soon as this storm gets to 72.5 west if its raining in NYC its over to snow, and 3 hours of 3-5 inches will pile up quick. So the big pictue is this. 1-2 feet in much of southern New England into north Jersey outside 287 ( remember the -8c piling in) a crippling snowstorm for 5-15% of the US population, adn the fact that winter is far from over ...and the worst is yet to come for most of the US

Didn't he say that earlier about the ECMWF? Sort of funny because doesn't he tend to rip on the GFS?

Mike

He mentioned in his post he is trying to show he doesn't care what a model shows just wants to point out the model closest to his ideas - he reiterated he is not a slave to any model....

Didn't he say that earlier about the ECMWF? Sort of funny because doesn't he tend to rip on the GFS?

From JB this AM

"With ECMWF, its ensembles and its control model all wetter than the US, the most likey correction to my forecast will be to INCREASE the amounts in Jersey, pa and around NYC. The other problems are the "north coast" as they call the Ohio shore line and around Chicago, but its NYC and the ghost of the Lindsay storm that may be the deciding factor. You might want to talk Miller type B, I say go to the maps of that storm and the debacle around NYC and you can see what the problem is here.  I wonder if the current mayor is ready"

From Steve at NJPA Weather

"First, let me tell you why this high pressure system is going to stay in place. The North Atlantic Oscillation via the ESRL data (far more accurate in my opinion) shows the NAO has fallen from a positive to weakly negative state. This observation provides insight into the development of blocking just strong enough to keep cold high pressure in place over southern Quebec. We can see this nicely at 500 MB with convergence and confluence aloft. This can also be seen on the Water Vapor Satellite picture. Remember, when air converges at 500 MB, that air must sink to the surface which enhances high pressure.

The fact high pressure is in place for this entire storm threat over Quebec, Canada means that the air flow must go from the high to the low pressure system that by the way is taking a near perfect track. This is the key ingredient that I've been watching for in terms of where the rain/snow line will set up as now we have a mechanism to deliver and keep cold air in place for many locations. Key point, look at those dew point. The dew points are in single digits to lower 10′s and that means you have cold, dry air in place. This observation I think is being missed by many out there and it's one that I think is going to be a big deal when this storm gets organized. This cold air is here. The high pressure is in place. The phasing is going to happen. So, tell me why locations like New York City, northern/central New Jersey, or Long Island go over to all rain for an extended period of time if at all? If your answer is because of the NAM or GFS, you are missing the point"

They have moved the 1-3" and 3-6" zones a bit further southwest vs. what I saw at 7:00 AM.  Looks a bit better now, but IMO still should go another 30 miles SW in the Philly area.

Moving everything southwest by 30 miles puts me precariously into the 6-12 zone. I suppose it's possible considering CTP issued a watch for Schuylkill this morning.

6abc had PHL in the VERY LITTLE zone, ABE in the 1-3, poconos 3-6. Pretty conservative.

Hmmm...KYW 1060 AccuWeather forecast on the radio this AM was 1 to 3 inches of snow in and around the city, 3-6 for northern Bucks and Montco.  Would have thought 6 ABC in Philly would be similar or the same.

Hmmm...KYW 1060 AccuWeather forecast on the radio this AM was 1 to 3 inches of snow in and around the city, 3-6 for northern Bucks and Montco.  Would have thought 6 ABC in Philly would be similar or the same.

Thought AW was mostly out of a job when it came to KYW1060. Heard its mostly CBS3 doing their forecasts now.

Yes, key word being "mostly".  Elliott Abrams is still used in the mornings to give AW forecasts on KYW1060.

The :15 & :45 rip and read forecasts are Accuwx all day unless they go into 'Storm mode' then Accuwx is out all together.

But yeah, on non-storm days the live reports are Accuwx until 10 a.m.

Archived