• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central/Western Summer Medium/Long Range Discussions

Srain

Right now I'm thinking about hitting SD Friday and then driving to south NE to stay late, then get up early to get down to south KS on Saturday.  Obviously this far out that will probably change 1000 times.  It is a long way, but its doable.  I'm just also hoping for a potential day Sunday, just depends on how progressive the system ends up being.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like NW KS or NE CO somewhere in there might be another play on Fri tho maybe not as good of tornado potential but that area is a good one to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Going to be a fun 24 hr drive to be in position Sat. Heh.

That's going to be a 24hr drive to end up in a massive chaser convergence situation.  I've been around some decent convergence like 4/14/12, but if Saturday pans out then it's going to be an absolute zoo. 

That's going to be a 24hr drive to end up in a massive chaser convergence situation.  I've been around some decent convergence like 4/14/12, but if Saturday pans out then it's going to be an absolute zoo. 

I'd definitely rather not but at the same time in a year like this who's to want to pass up a potential bigger day if it pans out... even at the start of three weeks out there. I'd be tempted to play further east but the cap is probably going to be too strong on saturday in IL etc.

Euro very troughy thru the end too, keeps rebuilding on itself. Not sure it looks amazing for the weekend but passable. My maps are pretty rudimentary tho. Does have a 996 low in SW KS late Sat.

The day 10 Euro looks great. I love that second trough diving into the PAC NW with that great Canadian block. That will help to keep a troughy western regime, since disturbances move underneath it and tend to slow down a bit. Additionally, it helps to enforce a SE ridge, and of course ample Gulf access. I know obviously we should take this one threat at a time, but the general pattern going forward certainly looks improved. 

12zeuro500mbHeightAnomalyNA240.gif

12zeuro500mbHGHTNA240.gif

I can't show the Euro for obvious reason's, however I don't think I would venture to far from the Omaha area from Thursday evening through Sun evening.  Even though it looks good further south at some point, I wouldn't risk the move to Kansas or OK  and miss the big show that may happen further north.  That is based on the 05/12/ 12z model run, of course it could change several times between now and Wed.

I can't show the Euro for obvious reason's, however I don't think I would venture to far from the Omaha area from Thursday evening through Sun evening.  Even though it looks good further south at some point, I wouldn't risk the move to Kansas or OK  and miss the big show that may happen further north.  That is based on the 05/12/ 12z model run, of course it could change several times between now and Wed.

Seems like every time I play the triple point/warm front over the southern dryline I always get burned, though.  Makes me nervous... the capping in the south could be a blessing or a curse keeping things isolated, but that's if they go.  However, I feel like forcing could be strong enough Saturday even in the south, but we will have to see how things trend.  That being said there is still some capping in the northern targets on Saturday so it may be a good play.

00z GFS actually now has an interesting look in South Central SD on Thursday evening now.  Maybe a bit better in North Central NE.  The run definitely has convection breaking out.

I'm liking SD on Friday as well with that run on the lead edge of the stronger mid/upper level flow with the primary trough, right near a pretty potent sfc cyclone with solid LLJ response and ample instability.

This. Totally this. Ends up sliding into a May 2008 esque pattern with a monster full-latitude west coast trough that rakes the High Plains day after day.

Yeah I knew there was something familiar about that. B)

Chasers would be hacking off limbs to see that play out.

The GFS, believe it or not shows a strong signal over MN Sat evening, not sure If I believe that or not, but the 144hr gem seems to support it.  Will be interesting to see what the gem shows later.  If you have wondered what the GGEM shows for EHI values here it is.  New this year I think.....

http://meteocentre.com/models/models.php?run=12&map=na&mod=gemglb〈=en

I'm liking SD on Friday as well with that run on the lead edge of the stronger mid/upper level flow with the primary trough, right near a pretty potent sfc cyclone with solid LLJ response and ample instability.

Oh trust me, I'm absolutely giddy about SD on Friday... lol

Oh trust me, I'm absolutely giddy about SD on Friday... lol

The more and more I look at the 00z GFS, the better and better it looks, there really isn't a whole lot missing. Obviously the mid/upper level winds won't be as strong, but the 0-6 km bulk shear is more than sufficient at 35-50 kts with plenty of deep layer moisture, instability, a cap that really doesn't look that beastly at all, strong directional shear in the low levels with sizable clockwise curved hodographs, a rather potent sfc cylone right nearby, low LCLs, a relatively spotless vertical wind profile in terms of BVB or VBV...you name it.

The more and more I look at the 00z GFS, the better and better it looks, there really isn't a whole lot missing. Obviously the mid/upper level winds won't be as strong, but the 0-6 km bulk shear is more than sufficient at 35-50 kts with plenty of deep layer moisture, instability, a cap that really doesn't look that beastly at all, strong directional shear in the low levels with sizable clockwise curved hodographs, a rather potent sfc cylone right nearby, low LCLs, a relatively spotless vertical wind profile in terms of BVB or VBV...you name it.

The one concern I have is boundary-layer dewpoints mixing out, especially given the ongoing drought. 0Z GFS verbatim has a pretty veered LLJ. Of course this is still a week out so it's prolly still too early to talk about specifics like this, but something to watch for in upcoming runs.

The one concern I have is boundary-layer dewpoints mixing out, especially given the ongoing drought. 0Z GFS verbatim has a pretty veered LLJ. Of course this is still a week out so it's prolly still too early to talk about specifics like this, but something to watch for in upcoming runs.

Not in SD on Friday, which is what they are discussing.

In the longer range, the 00z Euro is setting up a very large upper trough in the West, with a strong northern stream feed coming straight from the Bering Sea essentially. The potential that a pattern like this would hold would be pretty impressive in all likelihood.

f240.gif

This. Totally this. Ends up sliding into a May 2008 esque pattern with a monster full-latitude west coast trough that rakes the High Plains day after day.

The ECMWF is hinting at a similar pattern. I seriously can't remember the last time that type of amplified pattern developed across the western US/plains in late spring. 

post-999-0-08071500-1368432213_thumb.gif

Archived