• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Looking towards the beginning of December

CoastalWx

Hey have you ever seen pics of the big SE NC blizzard of '89? Wow and right before Chrismas.

post-33-0-15151300-1354152972_thumb.png

Yeah I've read up on that storm a few times. That thing was ridiculous....it was the right month for something like that to happen. Airmass was so cold we got coastals suppressed giving SC heavy snow. I believe Charleston SC also had a white Christmas in 1989...what are the odds of that? It has to be like 1 in several centuries.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well once the little one is born, In the next few years you will be able to continue the trend with your son or daughter, I certainly watched my share with my 2 boys, The younger brother still gives the older one crap abut him crying when frosty melted...........lol

This! There is nothing better than watching all these great Xmas shows with the kids. My fave has always been Rudolph and frosty. One of the best moments ever is watching your kids see snow falling and walking in it for the first time. Talk about memories.

Yeah I've read up on that storm a few times. That thing was ridiculous....it was the right month for something like that to happen. Airmass was so cold we got coastals suppressed giving SC heavy snow. I believe Charleston SC also had a white Christmas in 1989...what are the odds of that? It has to be like 1 in several centuries.

That's such a hard spot to get snow like that...good God. Yeah, that was the year to do it.

This! There is nothing better than watching all these great Xmas shows with the kids. My fave has always been Rudolph and frosty. One of the best moments ever is watching your kids see snow falling and walking in it for the first time. Talk about memories.

Yeah Rudolph without question is #1 for me. Always has been. Definitely has a lot to do with the fact that it snows the entire movie and there's a paralyzingly blizzard. My kids are only 2 and 4 but already like it.

Hey have you ever seen pics of the big SE NC blizzard of '89? Wow and right before Chrismas.

post-33-0-15151300-1354152972_thumb.png

BUF had an amazing streak of like 8 or 9 white christmas's in a row that ended in 2009. We were saved by some storm every year..even in bad years..it was bizzare. Obviously in 2001 with the megastorm and then other years we had a random warm advection les event that was forecast to do nothing...but we ended up with a strong band and 6-12".

That's such a hard spot to get snow like that...good God. Yeah, that was the year to do it.

Yeah its hard enough to get snow at ANY point in Charleston, SC....nevermind as early as December and nevermind timed so perfectly as to give a white Christmas. They only have 5 measurable December snowfalls on record in Charleston and 2 of them are 0.2" or less.

The thing is...Kevin is a slick salesman. Smooth as silk....he talks a storm into 3-6 with lollis to 8 inches and then back down to 3 inches without anyone really noticing (except us of course, lol). By the time the storm has ended, he has talked/BS'd his way into a great forecast.

i think 98% percent of the board sees this, unless a poster's iq is less than 60. i think kev's post are pretty solid lol i think because i perceive them to be somewhat enjoyable i have a favorable opinion of his forecasts (also because i like snow as well) . you gotta learn to interpret the KFS...it's kinda like the nam with qpf ...you take his snowfall amounts and you divide them by say 50% 5 days out and 30% 2-3 days out.

BUF had an amazing streak of like 8 or 9 white christmas's in a row that ended in 2009. We were saved by some storm every year..even in bad years..it was bizzare. Obviously in 2001 with the megastorm and then other years we had a random warm advection les event that was forecast to do nothing...but we ended up with a strong band and 6-12".

We've had some white Christmas luck here in ern MA too. Most recent was 2010, although it was actually more for SE MA and the Cape thanks to that 12/20 storm. Another refresher a couple of days later.

New Orleans bowling ball snowstorm a few years back, too. Wasn't that on Christmas?

I think it was the ice storm system...Dec 11-12, 2008. The bowling ball went across the south and then produced the system that destroyed us with the ice storm in the interior.

We've had some white Christmas luck here in ern MA too. Most recent was 2010, although it was actually more for SE MA and the Cape thanks to that 12/20 storm. Another refresher a couple of days later.

Last year broke a streak of 4 in a row here. 2007-2010. We had 2005, 2003, 2002, 2000, 1997, 1995, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1989. 1985, 1983, 1982, 1981, 1980.

Yeah I remember thanksgiving too and definitely remember some of that month but wish I could remember a bit more of the endless cold. I guess living through Jan '04 in a way is a fair comparison.

The cold was awesome. I just remember bits and pieces of it...nothing too much precip wise..lol. I do remember Harvey Leonard talking about BOS harbor icing up in spots. That's incredible for December.

In 2003? I never realized you had one then. The period prior to NY sucked.

The 12/14/03 storm gave us another 7" on top of the 12/5 storm and then we flipped to a ton of sleet and ZR....and it glaciated the snow pack. It got torched badly in the pre-Christmas Grinch storm (and other warm weather), but we kept an ugly glacier for Christmas. It had enough staying power to "count" but it was far from ideal and there were a few bare spots where the sun torches.

Archived