• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE snowfall for top 10 -NAO and top 10 +NAO winters

ORH_wxman

Since I was messing aorund with the snowfall on spreadsheets last night with ENSO phase, I decided to do one for the most -NAO and most +NAO winters. I did do something similar a while back for -NAO, but it got buried in a different thread. I used the Hurrell values for NAO for DJFM.

14y4f4o.jpg

Some not surprising and also semi-surprising/interesting results. The not surprising part is that the -NAO list has much higher snowfall. Also the coastline benefits more from the -NAO list. The interesting part is some of the obscene outliers in both lists....1954-1955 on the -NAO list and to a lesser extent 1978-1979....then on the +NAO list, we have the back to back winters of 1992-1993 and 1993-1994 as blockbusters....especially for BOS/ORH. You can see how much those winters helped out the mean on that second list when you compare the mean to the median. Also the 21.2" crushes the mean for ORH in the firts list as their median is actually higher...something not normally seen in snowfall distributions since we cannot attain negative snowfall.

Not sure why you included March since as the KFS knows March is no longer a winter month.

I let stats get the better of me that told me March is just as snowy (or even snowier than) as December. I probably should have known better that we should not include it anymore....the KFS is cutting edge ahead of the times.

I let stats get the better of me that told me March is just as snowy (or even snowier than) as December. I probably should have known better that we should not include it anymore....the KFS is cutting edge ahead of the times.

KFS knows all. Wire to wire winter begins 11/25 and wraps up on 2/28.

BTW BDL snowfall was estimate for 1997-1998 through 2001-2002, though I had 2000-2001 almost pinned down perfectly from PNS reports back in the day and some other nearby measurements. The other years could be off by a fe winches give or take, though they won't affect the numbers much I wouldn't think. Most of those years were garbage so the difference was like 19" vs 22" or something. The one good year in 2000-2001 I had a pretty good handle on anyway.

BTW BDL snowfall was estimate for 1997-1998 through 2001-2002, though I had 2000-2001 almost pinned down perfectly from PNS reports back in the day and some other nearby measurements. The other years could be off by a fe winches give or take, though they won't affect the numbers much I wouldn't think. Most of those years were garbage so the difference was like 19" vs 22" or something. The one good year in 2000-2001 I had a pretty good handle on anyway.

Yeah the missing data sucks. The collinsville poster has really good obs he may be able to shed some light.

Yeah the missing data sucks. The collinsville poster has really good obs he may be able to shed some light.

Someone will have re-create F6 data for them at some point like I did with ORH. Though mine was to no avail in terms of NCDC accepting it. NWS BOX has it now somewhere, but NCDC preferred to keep their incomplete data for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...

Will, or anyone for that matter, is there a link to a website where similiar lists could be given for epo, and perhaps pna. I'm really interested in seeing how the epo may effect snowfall totals.Also in the winter that smoked se mass (04-05) where there any teleconnector indices that stood out as anomalous

Will, or anyone for that matter, is there a link to a website where similiar lists could be given for epo, and perhaps pna. I'm really interested in seeing how the epo may effect snowfall totals.Also in the winter that smoked se mass (04-05) where there any teleconnector indices that stood out as anomalous

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/epo.daily

................................................................................................

ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/cwlinks/

I never had less than 30" in the 97-98 to 01-02 time period so I doubt BDL ever had below 20", probably came close in 01-02 but I bet they eek'd over 20".

If my memory is still good BDL had 46.2" in 96-97. I recall the 52.3" total that I see everywhere had a bogus snowfall in March that somehow got included. Is there a way to view official daily snowfall for that March.

Archived