• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Band pivot points

OKpowdah

Maybe you could calculate the change in frontogenesis with time and then find the location of minimum change in frontogenesis that is located within a band of frontogenesis. You could probably select a minimum threshold value for frontogenesis and then search through all the locations that are above that threshold, with the pivot point being where the time rate of change of frontogenesis is the smallest. I think some kind of ncl script to do this would be the best bet.

Maybe you could calculate the change in frontogenesis with time and then find the location of minimum change in frontogenesis that is located within a band of frontogenesis. You could probably select a minimum threshold value for frontogenesis and then search through all the locations that are above that threshold, with the pivot point being where the time rate of change of frontogenesis is the smallest. I think some kind of ncl script to do this would be the best bet.

The issue with that is then dealing with the Lagrangian rate of the change of frontogenesis ... where it is strengthening and weakening within the band itself

What I'd like to do, I think, is treat a line of frontogenesis like a material curve, and analyze how it advects and deforms ... figuring out how to do that in the model is the tricky part .. I think...

Frontogenesis can technically be increasing or deceasing in a stationary band though.

The issue with that is then dealing with the Lagrangian rate of the change of frontogenesis ... where it is strengthening and weakening within the band itself

What I'd like to do, I think, is treat a line of frontogenesis like a material curve, and analyze how it advects and deforms ... figuring out how to do that in the model is the tricky part .. I think...

Most of our bands seem to be influenced mostly by the confluence and shear terms of the equation. Have you tried playing around with plotting deformation or axes of dilatation with frontogenesis?

Usually the area where max deformation takes place at H5 is where the pivot point is. You can eyeball it frequently on where you see the greatest divergence in the height lines. That's a pretty rudimentary way to do it, but it works. Especially in rapidly deepening systems. In more marginal cases it is not so obvious.

I understand how these relationships work qualitatively. I'm trying to think of the best way to determine physically in the model where the pivot point is and plot it over time.

Plot 5h wind vectors. That is probably the best crude way without overlaying a bunch of parameters. Its not easy...that's why bands aren't predicted in an exact spot very well.

Most of our bands seem to be influenced mostly by the confluence and shear terms of the equation. Have you tried playing around with plotting deformation or axes of dilatation with frontogenesis?

yeah, and that's why I feel pretty comfortable at least treating the frontogenesis band as a material line. From there the easiest thing to do might just be analyze for a storm-relative minimum wind velocity along the band.

I've also thought about fooling around with calculating the moment of inertia within the band and investigating what if any relationship exists

Plot 5h wind vectors. That is probably the best crude way without overlaying a bunch of parameters. Its not easy...that's why bands aren't predicted in an exact spot very well.

The big challenge is quantifying this in a model. I can look at products that you describe and analyze for myself, but I'm trying to figure out the best way for a model to plot this ... in the end I envision an ensemble of pivot points plotted over time, maybe a density / probability field

Looking at EPV maps gives an indication as well. Frequently in deepening systems, the minimum in EPV will be where the max deformation and frontogenesis lines up and that is where the banding will setup for several hours.

Are there any good maps out there for that? Most of the time I look at theta-e or potential temp on BUFKIT and you can assume from that.

Are there any good maps out there for that? Most of the time I look at theta-e or potential temp on BUFKIT and you can assume from that.

I would love a nice map online somewhere too, always kills me when I'm away from AWIPS and can't use my EPV procedures. Otherwise I'm stuck trying to visualize it in my heard through separation or folding of isentropes.

You could use a coordinate system along the long and short axes of the band of frontogenesis to determine the Lagrangian (moving grid) rate of change of frontogenesis for different locations within the band.

These locations could be put into a matrix with the row and column indicating the position relative to the center of the band, where the short and long axes would intersect.

At the next time step, you could subtract the Lagrangian change in frontogenesis at each point relative to the band axes from the Eulerian (static grid) change in frontogenesis to get basically the advection of frontogeneis. The minimum in the absolute value of advection of frontogenesis would be the location of the pivot point.

I would love a nice map online somewhere too, always kills me when I'm away from AWIPS and can't use my EPV procedures. Otherwise I'm stuck trying to visualize it in my heard through separation or folding of isentropes.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/mdd/mddoutput/

This site has some pretty good diagnostics including EPV.

I do not know if this is what you are looking for but EPV is displayed under winter weather fields here http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/mobile.php

I do not know if this is what you are looking for but EPV is displayed under winter weather fields here http://www.spc.noaa..../new/mobile.php

I've used that before for nowcasting purposes, unfortunately there is no forecast with the mesoanalysis page.

http://www.hpc.ncep..../mdd/mddoutput/

This site has some pretty good diagnostics including EPV.

I had no clue they got that detailed with model output there. Now if only they did cross sections...

Archived