joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Storm 11/7-11/8

Snow_Miser

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious to see if the GFS follows the NAM evolution. I doubt it does though. I thought the nam run was a blip as it always does this before a big storm but we'll see...

The NAM had initialization errors.

BASED ON THE NAM BOUNDARY LAYER WIND ANALYSIS... THE MODEL PLACES THE SFC LOW OVER THE WRN ATLC ABOUT 60 NM TO THE W OF THE OBSERVED POSN. THE PMSL STAMP IN THE NAM IS ABOUT 35 NM TO THE W OF THE OBS LOW POSN.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/hpcdiscussions.php?disc=pmdhmd

GFS is a hair west-southwest, stronger, a bit slower and a little cooler just judging based on the national maps. It looks roughly similar to the RGEM...does not bring the surface low onshore like the NAM.

10m winds are still pretty strong but a nice swath of frozen precip across NJ/NYC/CT/SE NY.

The NAM had initialization errors.

BASED ON THE NAM BOUNDARY LAYER WIND ANALYSIS... THE MODEL PLACES THE SFC LOW OVER THE WRN ATLC ABOUT 60 NM TO THE W OF THE OBSERVED POSN. THE PMSL STAMP IN THE NAM IS ABOUT 35 NM TO THE W OF THE OBS LOW POSN.

http://www.hpc.ncep....php?disc=pmdhmd

Those are pretty significant errors.

GFS looks slightly further SW.

GFS is a hair west-southwest, stronger, a bit slower and a little cooler just judging based on the national maps. It looks roughly similar to the RGEM...does not bring the surface low onshore like the NAM.

10m winds are still pretty strong but a nice swath of frozen precip across NJ/NYC/CT/SE NY.

Fairly similar to the 18z. A tick SW

What's amazing about this storm is that, under normal circumstances, it would absolutely be the highlight of the fall here - the combo of winds, snow/rain, coastal impacts, and just general coolness factor of a storm like this is there - but because it's happening only 9 days after Sandy, it couldn't possibly be the signature event of Fall 2012 here. That puts into perspective how crazy of a pattern this is, even if it's just two storms we're talking about. That's two really high-interest storms in a row.

Quite significant changes from this time last night when it seemed fairly likely this would be a weak system at best and perhaps even far enough East that that we would escape precip all together. Now some of the models are knocking on the door of a warning criteria snowfall for the interior.

Euro is still nice..a bit stronger and around the same speed and track. The snow maps from the 12z run were surprisingly favorable so I would assume much would remain the same on this run.

The great news is that it looks like the NAM's solution, which would slam the NJ Shore and LI -- is very unlikely.

Lets hope it scores a major coup!

I really hope so. I was thinking of making an annoying commute tomorrow back to my old stomping ground at Rutgers, but I'd really like to not do that, considering the gas situation would make my commute all mass transit. I just want to see some snow!

I can't really recall a time where the Euro was so much colder than other guidance this close to the event. Usually it's the Euro that will run things a tad warm, and the NAM that has a cold bias within its CCB because of its mesoscale schemes.

But if there is one model that I want being the cold model in this range, it's the Euro. Plus, it doesn't destroy the coastline!

Archived