wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, used to love those weenie bands when I lived there. 

Yes, what's funny is I have friends 10 minutes away from me that have no idea what I am talking about. They all have less than an inch.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA842 AM EST THU FEB 21 2013.SYNOPSIS...AFTER MORNING SNOW SHOWERS...HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD THISAFTERNOON WITH DRY WEATHER EXPECTED. A WARM FRONT WILL LIFTNORTHWARD ACROSS THE AREA FRIDAY BRINGING A LIGHT WINTRY MIX.&&.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...MID MORNING UPDATE INCLUDES INCREASED POPS AND SNOW AMOUNTS FORTHIS MORNING INTO EARLY AFTERNOON. LATEST RADAR IMAGERY SHOWSPARTICULARLY HEAVY BANDS OF SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE CENTRAL REGIONWITH QUICK ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND AND INCH OF FLUFFY SNOW. SEEMSLIKE DEFORMATION ZONE HAS SET UP ACCORDING TO LATEST WATER VAPORIMAGERY. MODEL SOUNDINGS CONTINUE TO SHOW INVERSION LEVEL TO BREAKDOWN BY THIS AFTERNOON AND THEREFORE DECREASE SNOW SHOWERS INCOVERAGE.

Yes, what's funny is I have friends 10 minutes away from me that have no idea what I am talking about. They all have less than an inch.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA842 AM EST THU FEB 21 2013.SYNOPSIS...AFTER MORNING SNOW SHOWERS...HIGH PRESSURE WILL BUILD THISAFTERNOON WITH DRY WEATHER EXPECTED. A WARM FRONT WILL LIFTNORTHWARD ACROSS THE AREA FRIDAY BRINGING A LIGHT WINTRY MIX.&&.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...MID MORNING UPDATE INCLUDES INCREASED POPS AND SNOW AMOUNTS FORTHIS MORNING INTO EARLY AFTERNOON. LATEST RADAR IMAGERY SHOWSPARTICULARLY HEAVY BANDS OF SNOW SHOWERS ACROSS THE CENTRAL REGIONWITH QUICK ACCUMULATIONS OF AROUND AND INCH OF FLUFFY SNOW. SEEMSLIKE DEFORMATION ZONE HAS SET UP ACCORDING TO LATEST WATER VAPORIMAGERY. MODEL SOUNDINGS CONTINUE TO SHOW INVERSION LEVEL TO BREAKDOWN BY THIS AFTERNOON AND THEREFORE DECREASE SNOW SHOWERS INCOVERAGE.

One thing I've noticed....despite living there all their lives and experiencing it on the regular, a lot of Pittsburgh people are completely unaware of snow bands and often won't believe that it's possible to have several inches of snow and two miles away have little. 

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

948 PM EST THU FEB 21 2013

OHZ040-041-050-PAZ020-021-029-073-075-WVZ001-002-221100-

/O.CON.KPBZ.WW.Y.0014.130222T1000Z-130222T2300Z/

CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-JEFFERSON OH-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-WASHINGTON-

WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CARROLLTON...EAST LIVERPOOL...SALEM...

COLUMBIANA...EAST PALESTINE...WELLSVILLE...CALCUTTA...

STEUBENVILLE...ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...MONACA...

BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...WASHINGTON...CANONSBURG...

DONORA...CALIFORNIA...CHARLEROI...MONONGAHELA...MCMURRAY...

GREENSBURG...NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...MONESSEN...

UNIONTOWN...CONNELLSVILLE...POINT MARION...WEIRTON...BETHANY

948 PM EST THU FEB 21 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM TO 6 PM

EST FRIDAY...

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...UP TO A TENTH OF AN INCH.

* FREEZING RAIN BEGINNING... BETWEEN 6 AM AND 8 AM.

* FREEZING RAIN ENDING... BETWEEN 1 PM AND 3 PM.

* IMPACTS... HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS DUE TO ICE COVERED

ROADS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE

TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING AND REPORT ICE

ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING 412-262-

1988...POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING

TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.

Anyone have any insight on the Tuesday storm next week? It looked promising yesterday, but 12z and 18z looked awfully warm... Primary looks to be holding on longer. If this is a trend towards what will transpire we are toast for anything on this one too.

GFS doesn't have a single storm that looks interesting, although it changes fairly drastically each run so who knows what may pop up.

It's amazing how all of these little nuisance events can really add up. KPIT is at 41.3" for the winter so far. A lot of that this month. Just doesn't feel like it when you only get a half inch or inch here and there. All of the storms have missed us too. The one for next week now looks like a lake cutter, so that'll probably be another miss. We'll get more nuisance snow showers once the low moves north.

It's amazing how all of these little nuisance events can really add up. KPIT is at 41.3" for the winter so far. A lot of that this month. Just doesn't feel like it when you only get a half inch or inch here and there. All of the storms have missed us too. The one for next week now looks like a lake cutter, so that'll probably be another miss. We'll get more nuisance snow showers once the low moves north.

Yeah, shows how many minor to small events we've had the past 2 months.

But if you think about it, this winter so far has been more cold and snowy than not.

Tue-Wed does look kinda weak on the surface, but looking at the 500 mb vort hgts, the potential continues to be there for something decent.

I'm ready for spring at this point. Tired of storms either missing us or giving us slop and rain while we get the leftovers or nothing at all when they exit.

I agree.  Unless there is something like the midwest storm from this week, I don't want anymore snow.  Not much on the models in mid-long range for potential except for a fantasy storm on EURO for the 5th and 6th, but it has no support.  Once the clocks get moved ahead on the 10th I am ready to get into much warmer weather so I can go out in the evening and start working in the yard. 

Crazy that this winter subforum thread has only 23 pages.  Shows how few impact snow storms we have had despite being around our normal annual snowfall.

I'm ready for spring at this point. Tired of storms either missing us or giving us slop and rain while we get the leftovers or nothing at all when they exit.

This time of year I think we all start to feel this way.

Problem is, its not going to get warm. Reality is we will be at or below normal for at least the next 10 days. That being said, if we can get a moderate to large event before the end I'll take it. Once winter is over its 8 months or so until there could be a legitimate threat so while I am mentally worn at this point I feel I might as well push through the next 2 weeks and hope for the best.

i agree with everything said in the previous 4 or 5 posts.

I am so ready for the warmer weather.

We all get like this every year at this time. 

I will take a big storm here or there if it comes. If it doesn't, so be it.

If it does, it would be fun to track, watch and then it will Melt quick because it is March 

March on!

The GGEM takes a low over Pittsburgh and develops a new one over NC. 

It is way early but we may be in the game.

We need the other models to come west. I still think if this goes up the coast we will be too far west to get anything major. I would love to see what everyone else thinks. We need a met in our region to help us out. Wondering what everyone else' thoughts are.

I_nw_g1_EST_2013030112_119.png

We definitely want an earlier phase to have any chance.  If it waits until it is say over the Delmarva to phase, closer to the coast wins while we would be too far west.  The other need is a decent low track.  Obviously too far south/east and the precip shield misses us.  That said for just anecdotal reasons, I'm not buying in.  Ideal tracks for this area don't seem to exist unless it is a '93 triple phase.  There are coastal huggers and then lakes cutters; we need something to essentially ride the eastern side of the Apps and it doesn't seem tracks like that happen very often.

We definitely want an earlier phase to have any chance.  If it waits until it is say over the Delmarva to phase, closer to the coast wins while we would be too far west.  The other need is a decent low track.  Obviously too far south/east and the precip shield misses us.  That said for just anecdotal reasons, I'm not buying in.  Ideal tracks for this area don't seem to exist unless it is a '93 triple phase.  There are coastal huggers and then lakes cutters; we need something to essentially ride the eastern side of the Apps and it doesn't seem tracks like that happen very often.

Yeah, those types of tracks don't happen too often. We had a few back in the early to mid 90s that tracked perfectly for us like that but none since. Then of course you have to take into account that we're in March now. Has to be a really heavy snow with the sun angle now getting higher or most of it needs to occur at night. This is that time of year when a lot of things have to set up perfectly for us to get hammered. It's still possible, but more factors are against us as we close in on spring.

We will see what happens. Earlier phase and just a further north track altogether will help. I saw a snow map in the Central PA thread from the Euro and it showed 3-4 inches for SWPA. I am not sure what is more likely at this point, a total whiff, or for the trend to continue.

I will be more anxious to see the Euro and the GGEM tonight. They have been pretty good models this year.

I noticed the 0Z NAM has the initual low coming in through Indiana/Illinois about 200 miles North of what the 18Z GFS has. (Whatever that means)

At this point I would love to see one last big storm next week and then go right into Spring.

Just comparing yesterdays 12z GFS to this mornings 6z you can see some major problems for our area. The biggest is no phase, and not only is there not a phase but the energy in the northern stream is gone. I'm not sure where it went ie did it move out faster / slower does it just not exist now? Second, is that piece of energy over NE move out faster on 12z which helps give the storm more room to move north.

Unless the missing NS energy is some sort of sparse data sampling issue, I think we are toast on this one. Even folks who do get in on the more moderate qpf will be in danger of rain /mix since the NS was also helping to supply some cold air.

Anyways, I took this snippet from the 6z GFS. It looks almost exactly like the detour sign....

post-328-0-79616700-1362231945_thumb.jpg

On a lighter note, I woke up to a fresh coating of snow and currently getting a light to moderate snow shower.

Archived