wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thick coating in my backyard. I'd say about 1/2 inch. Sorta looks like cottage cheese or something lol

It was nice to see snow in the air, but as we get closer to march I want something bigger in the 4+ range to pique my interest.Snow is snow though so I can't complain. Once we move into the second week of March I am pretty much over snow, unless it is going to be something big then I will get sucked back in.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

637 PM EST SAT FEB 16 2013

OHZ041-PAZ007-013-014-020>023-073-172345-

COLUMBIANA-MERCER-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-

WESTMORELAND-

637 PM EST SAT FEB 16 2013

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EAST CENTRAL OHIO...NORTHWEST

PENNSYLVANIA...SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA AND WEST CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

A BAND OF MODERATE TO EVEN LOCALLY HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS IS EXPECTED

TO DROP SOUTHEAST OVERNIGHT ACROSS THE AREA. A QUICK 2 TO 3 INCHES

CAN BE EXPECTED AS IT MOVES SOUTHEAST ACROSS THE AREA.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

SPOTTER ACTIVATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

$$

Well this was sort of a surprise...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

655 PM EST SAT FEB 16 2013

PAZ013-014-020>023-073-170800-

/O.NEW.KPBZ.WW.Y.0011.130217T0300Z-130217T1100Z/

LAWRENCE-BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WESTMORELAND-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW CASTLE...ELLWOOD CITY...BUTLER...

ZELIENOPLE...ALIQUIPPA...BEAVER FALLS...AMBRIDGE...MONACA...

BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...FORD CITY...

LEECHBURG...FREEPORT...APOLLO...INDIANA...GREENSBURG...

NEW KENSINGTON...JEANNETTE...LATROBE...MONESSEN

655 PM EST SAT FEB 16 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO

6 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS

EVENING TO 6 AM EST SUNDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 3 INCHES...LOCALLY UP TO 4 INCHES IN

THE HEAVIEST BAND FROM BEAVER TO EASTERN WESTMORELAND COUNTY.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL VARY CONSIDERABLY AWAY FROM THIS BAND.

* *SNOW BEGINNING...SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS WILL BECOME MORE

WIDESPREAD AFTER 9 PM.

* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...A PERIOD OF LCALLY HEAVY SNOW

SHOWERS IN A BAND FROM ROUGHLY BEAVER COUNTY TO NEAR THE

ALLEGHENY/BUTLER COUNTY LINE TOWARD EASTERN WESTMORELAND COUNTY

WILL LIKELY DEVELOP BETWEEN 11 PM AND 3 AM.

* SNOW ENDING...THE SNOW WILL TAPER BACK TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS

BY 6 AM.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO RAPID

SNOW ACCUMULATION AND SNOW COVERED ROADS.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 5 TO 10 MPH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT SNOWFALL WILL CAUSE

TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND

LIMITED VISIBILITY. REPORT SNOW ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL

WEATHER SERVICE BY CALLING 412-262-1988...POSTING TO THE NWS

PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.

&&

Still waiting for the line of snow showers to come through. The line is moving slow.

Also, the 0Z NAM comes in colder for Tuesday and showing 3 inches of snow. Will be interesting to see if this thing starts tracking a little south so we get more snow than rain.

Did anyone get anything like was forecasted?  We got a dusting in Bethel.   We got more from the snow showers this morning.

I must have at least at leat 2 or 3 inches on the ground.

I have to go out and shovel my driveway so I will measure.

I had one inch on the ground around 1:00 am when I went to sleep but another band dropped down from around Cranberry with heavy snow.

Just shoveled and measured.

3 inches on the pavement and 4 inches in the grass.

Very fluffy and powdery. Another banding type situation where some got good snows and some did not.

It looks like that best banding when I went to sleep was around Wexford down through Monroeville into Westmoreland County.

I must have at least at leat 2 or 3 inches on the ground.

I have to go out and shovel my driveway so I will measure.

I had one inch on the ground around 1:00 am when I went to sleep but another band dropped down from around Cranberry with heavy snow.

Sounds about right. At 2:30am I still had bare ground, and could see just to the NW /SE of me there was a decent band. NWS indicated it was going to be a fairly localized event and those that got under the banding picked up what was forecast.

The next 2 events look to have deteriorated for anyone hoping for snow in our area other than the typical NW flow post fropa stuff. Tuesday looked sort of interesting until I checked surface temps. Things can change as always but at this point its not looking good.

Just had a heavy snow shower move through. I couldn't even see the neighbors house across the street. It last about 2 minutes and put down a quick coating.

Even though its only 18 degrees, once the sun pops back out most of it will melt away again unfortunately.. Yes I'll be the guy to say it, we are getting to the point in the season now that sun angle starts to play a role especially in these high ratio snows.

Just had a heavy snow shower move through. I couldn't even see the neighbors house across the street. It last about 2 minutes and put down a quick coating.

Even though its only 18 degrees, once the sun pops back out most of it will melt away again unfortunately.. Yes I'll be the guy to say it, we are getting to the point in the season now that sun angle starts to play a role especially in these high ratio snows.

Sounds about right. At 2:30am I still had bare ground, and could see just to the NW /SE of me there was a decent band. NWS indicated it was going to be a fairly localized event and those that got under the banding picked up what was forecast.

The next 2 events look to have deteriorated for anyone hoping for snow in our area other than the typical NW flow post fropa stuff. Tuesday looked sort of interesting until I checked surface temps. Things can change as always but at this point its not looking good.

I think you are right. Looking like rain showers to start and ending as 1 inch or less snow for both systems. It could change but nothing big. I am tired of the nuisance shoveling. I either want to shovel a foot or let's have sunshine and temps in the 40's.

Did anyone get anything like was forecasted?  We got a dusting in Bethel.   We got more from the snow showers this morning.

I didn't measure, but I'd estimate close to 3" when I was outside earlier.

(It's this type of event that used to drive me bat**** when I was in the plowing business. Go to sleep expecting to maybe have to go out and salt a little, and wake up to a plowable snow. I'm so much more relaxed about it now.) :snowwindow:

I think you are right. Looking like rain showers to start and ending as 1 inch or less snow for both systems. It could change but nothing big. I am tired of the nuisance shoveling. I either want to shovel a foot or let's have sunshine and temps in the 40's.

I'm tired of the little nuisance snows too. If we're not going to get a big storm then might as well countdown to spring.

Yeah, that's gonna the tricky part. The upper level setup is pretty decent, the surface however.....

The latest AFD alludes to the daytime heating affecting any accumulation.

I think it's gonna be a classic elevation dependent snowfall, with the BL temp issues.

Not saying it will be snow, but in an odd reversal of the trends lately, the GFS has actually gone from a lousy solution to a "less" lousy solution for the upcoming weekend. 18z trended stronger with the second redeveloping low so it will be interesting to see if this trend continues. If we can get a faster strengthening of this system and a faster death of the primary we might have something to track.

Also looks interesting for something early to mid next week.

Wow! i just took the dog out and I have heavy snow and picked up a fresh inch in the last 1/2 hour. Almost 2 inches on the ground.

Looks to be isolated over me again. See as why I am the only one posting I must be the only one getting these bands.

This reminds me of Jan 2004 when I picked up 3 inches in 3 hours by a Lake Huron band that set up and it was only about 10 miles wide and stretched from Beaver thru Allegheny and into Westmoreland County.

This looks very similar on radar. It is still snowing hard.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

1025 PM EST WED FEB 20 2013

OHZ041-PAZ020-021-073-074-WVZ001-210445-

ALLEGHENY PA-BEAVER PA-COLUMBIANA OH-HANCOCK WV-WESTMORELAND PA-

WESTMORELAND RIDGES PA-

1025 PM EST WED FEB 20 2013

...SNOW SHOWERS WILL AFFECT COLUMBIANA...NORTHERN ALLEGHENY...

NORTHERN HANCOCK...NORTHERN WESTMORELAND AND SOUTHERN BEAVER

COUNTIES...

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH RADAR CONTINUED TO SHOW A BAND

OF SNOW SHOWERS EXTENDING FROM COLUMBIANA COUNTY OHIO, THROUGH

BEAVER AND NORTHERN ALLEGHENY COUNTY, INTO NORTHERN WESTMORELAND

COUNTY.

ONE OR TWO INCHES OF SNOW COULD QUICKLY ACCUMULATE FROM THIS BAND OF

SNOW. ROADS MAY QUICKLY BECOME SNOW-COVERED AND SLICK. VISIBILITY

COULD SUDDENLY DROP TO NEAR ZERO.

HIGHWAYS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

I-279 PARKWAY NORTH BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 1 AND 13.

I-376 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 33 AND 52.

I-376 PARKWAY WEST BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 53 AND 69.

TOLL 66 BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 6 AND 13.

I-79 IN PENNSYLVANIA BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 59 AND 77.

PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE BETWEEN MONROEVILLE AND ALLEGHENY

VALLEY.

PLEASE REPORT SIGNIFICANT WEATHER BY CALLING...412-262-1988...POSTING

TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER

@NWSPITTSBURGH.

LAT...LON 4017 7913 4062 8086 4064 8086 4065 8092

4072 8092 4073 8109 4091 8109 4052 7946

4049 7946 4045 7939 4048 7937 4045 7936

4046 7930 4041 7927 4043 7925 4041 7916

4037 7912 4041 7903 4040 7897 4039 7897

$$

Wow! i just took the dog out and I have heavy snow and picked up a fresh inch in the last 1/2 hour. Almost 2 inches on the ground.

Looks to be isolated over me again. See as why I am the only one posting I must be the only one getting these bands.

This reminds me of Jan 2004 when I picked up 3 inches in 3 hours by a Lake Huron band that set up and it was only about 10 miles wide and stretched from Beaver thru Allegheny and into Westmoreland County.

This looks very similar on radar. It is still snowing hard.

Getting heavy snow now in Plum.  Big flakes and have about one inch of new snow in the last hour.

Getting heavy snow now in Plum.  Big flakes and have about one inch of new snow in the last hour.

This is unreal. I have picked up 2-3 inches since 8:00. It is still coming down. 

Going out to measure and take pictures.

Update: Measured 3 inches on my driveway. 2.5 of it since 8:00. Big fluffy flakes.

I took some pictures but in the dark all you see is flakes.

Looking at the traffic cams is only stretches from Mt. Nebo Road down to Perrysville.

Archived