Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody see the models for the potential storm this weekend? They're putting out insane amounts of snow for New England. Seems like a Miller B type setup (correct me if I'm wrong on that) which does well for them and not for us. They typically don't see snow for a lot of the winter over in those areas, but they always have the potential to get bombed with setups like this. We just get a lot of nickel and dime snows here with maybe a big storm every 7 or 8 years it seems. I'm a storm guy, so I'd take a winter with almost no snow if it meant one huge storm at some point. That's just me though. I know some here would rather have more days of the light snow like we usually get. Even though this one shouldn't affect us, it'll still be interesting to see how this one unfolds.

Anybody see the models for the potential storm this weekend? They're putting out insane amounts of snow for New England. Seems like a Miller B type setup (correct me if I'm wrong on that) which does well for them and not for us. They typically don't see snow for a lot of the winter over in those areas, but they always have the potential to get bombed with setups like this. We just get a lot of nickel and dime snows here with maybe a big storm every 7 or 8 years it seems. I'm a storm guy, so I'd take a winter with almost no snow if it meant one huge storm at some point. That's just me though. I know some here would rather have more days of the light snow like we usually get. Even though this one shouldn't affect us, it'll still be interesting to see how this one unfolds.

I used to not mind the nickel and the diming but as I get older I prefer the big storms too. All this snow cover gets old (Maybe because I have a small dog to walk has an effect)

I would take a foot plus storm before the end of the year even if it melts in 3 or 4 days after. Just the excitement leading up to the big storm and the storm itself is the big thing. I hope we can get one good one.

It may be time to put up the detour sign to get us a good one. It worked in 2010.

Here it is!

Yeah, I will be following this one just to see what happens. It is exciting to see a big storm on the map, but man am I jealous over those totals lol.

Hopefully we can get something bigger before the end of winter. Looks like cool to seasonal temps will return after the brief warmup and we should have some better STJ input so we have a shot at something I think. GFS has been hinting at something around the 14th.

New England is the bullseye this week.  The Euro is putting out massive numbers.  To me Valentine's Day has a bit better look; it is more of a Miller A which definitely produce better for the inland areas.  I remember a Valentine's Day storm 6 years ago that ended up cancelling classes for us out here, and the setup is familiar next week.  The only problem: it is still a week out, so who knows what can happen.

All that said I'm a big storm guy too.  Five days with snow is nice, but when it only adds up to 4" or so, it doesn't really get me excited like tracking a massive system does.

Just took a gander at the 18z GFS. It sucks to be in the bulls eye a week out because you know it's going to change....many times yet. I think I'm going to stay away from the long range models for a few days after looking at this one. If it changes for the worse, I wont know about it. If it sticks around, then I'll start taking it seriously. Too much of a tease right now. Lol

You are right. The storm for next week has moved farther east which is better for us but WAY to early but something to watch and track anyways.

I want to puke looking at the storm this weekend. We have weeks of cold weather, and had to struggle to get a couple 2-4 inch events. Now, there is going to be a storm that dumps 30 inches on NE? 

Give me a break. lol.

Haha I know how you feel. I want to keep tracking it because of its potential historic impact but it sucks we don't get anything out of it.

On a positive note, after the Monday cutter the GFS just keeps tossing southern stream storms out of the gulf. 6z actually showed 2 PA snow storms in the long range. Just goes to show the potential should be there just a matter of if we can get something to work out.

I want to puke looking at the storm this weekend. We have weeks of cold weather, and had to struggle to get a couple 2-4 inch events. Now, there is going to be a storm that dumps 30 inches on NE? 

Give me a break. lol.

Sorry to send you to the toilet, but this is just sick... 

Total snows through hour 54:

Attached thumbnail(s)
img-resized.png Reduced 20%
post-16-1360247474_thumb.jpg
800 x 600 (36.31K)

There are colors showing up in these maps I've never seen before.  Normally these maps look extreme like this 5 to 7 days away from the event.  To be 24 hours out and maps still showing this--just wow.  Someone is going to get 50" of snow.  You don't even know what I'd give to get a storm like that haha.

But hey, the NAM manages to get Western PA a couple inches.  Granted it's the NAM, but we're close enough to the event it may not be too unbelievable.

There are colors showing up in these maps I've never seen before.  Normally these maps look extreme like this 5 to 7 days away from the event.  To be 24 hours out and maps still showing this--just wow.  Someone is going to get 50" of snow.  You don't even know what I'd give to get a storm like that haha.

But hey, the NAM manages to get Western PA a couple inches.  Granted it's the NAM, but we're close enough to the event it may not be too unbelievable.

The Euro comes in and is pretty much same as NAM qpf and track wise.  I am so jealous..

so depressing man.....

Kinda like watching the Ravens win the Super Bowl. Lol Well, at least we still have something to look at for next week. Not sure for how long, or where it's going to end up going, but trying to stay positive. If we could get a storm that would give us half of what they're expecting in Boston I'd be happy.

so depressing man.....

I had a couple of my staff come to me and say I looked down.. I wasn't about to explain to them why...

When large metro areas are supposed to be receiving over 20 nches or more and we are basically getting nothing, that is ruining it for me to get excited for anything under that for this year. That VDay storm certainly doesn't look to approach those totals, and we are certainly no lock to even receive anything. So I can't even get excited about that prospect...

I had a couple of my staff come to me and say I looked down.. I wasn't about to explain to them why...

When large metro areas are supposed to be receiving over 20 nches or more and we are basically getting nothing, that is ruining it for me to get excited for anything under that for this year. That VDay storm certainly doesn't look to approach those totals, and we are certainly no lock to even receive anything. So I can't even get excited about that prospect...

Chances are nothing will approach those totals anywhere else this season, even possible for several to come so that will really set yourself up for disappointment. It takes a really special setup for our area to get 12+ let alone the totals they are looking at. That being said, if we can get a 6-8 storm before the winter ends I'd take that and be happy.

I'll take some 12z and 18z GFS for next Wednesday.

We all know what being in the bullseye now means.

The storm will move East for no snow or little snow or west for more rain and mix.

Too far out.  :cry:

GFS has been pretty consistent with something being there for several runs. Granted we are so far out it could go poof at anytime I think its safe to say we will be closer to something decent with that one than tomorrows.

Y'all are nutz....NE can have it...I'd be happy if we never had more than 6" ever...I prefer this situation...watching extreme, crippling, damaging wx from afar. This weekend and Monday look great.

lol do you feel like the only sane person on the weather forum? From an outside perspective that's probably how you would be viewed. :snowing:

Y'all are nutz....NE can have it...I'd be happy if we never had more than 6" ever...I prefer this situation...watching extreme, crippling, damaging wx from afar. This weekend and Monday look great.

You are beginning to sound like someone that was on these boards a few years ago. You have a right to your opinion. The blizzard of 93 and the storm of 2010 were exciting for us weather enthusiasts. If we have this weekend and Mondays weather all the time that would be great for some people but these boards would not exist. JMHO. :snowman:

You don't have to call people names just because they enjoy snowstorms and you don't. If you don't like them, that's perfectly fine. Just please don't put a damper on it for others that do enjoy it. I don't want to go through that again like we did a few years ago on here with a certain poster who trashed anybody that enjoyed the 2010 event. He eventually got kicked off the forum for causing trouble. He used to jump all over anyone that even hinted toward enjoyment of a big snowstorm. I really hope you're not that same person back here under another name.

You don't have to call people names just because they enjoy snowstorms and you don't. If you don't like them, that's perfectly fine. Just please don't put a damper on it for others that do enjoy it. I don't want to go through that again like we did a few years ago on here with a certain poster who trashed anybody that enjoyed the 2010 event. He eventually got kicked off the forum for causing trouble. He used to jump all over anyone that even hinted toward enjoyment of a big snowstorm. I really hope you're not that same person back here under another name.

It is official. Rants is back on the board! Yay!!

Rants! That was it. I couldn't remember his name. As bad as he was he was entertaining and predictable with his posts. Remember after the 22 inch snowfall his roof was caving in or something like that and there was all kind of havoc with him. I wish there was a way we could pull up some of those historic posts.  :facepalm:

Archived