• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

So what does everyone think on the icing potential? I am leaning towards it warming up faster than anticipated. Still, it only takes a half hour of zr to cause any untreated surface to be dangerous.

Well, I think one thing to consider is the surface temps are going to take longer than the air temps to warm up. We've been in the ice box all week and we have a pretty substantial snow cover right now. I've seen instances where the air temps are above freezing but the surface temps are still below freezing. I also think the warmup is going to be quick, but the morning rush may still be difficult. Even though my forecast says snow and freezing rain overnight, I'm willing to bet that whatever snow I see will be very short lived. I may see more of an ice accumulation here before the warmup tomorrow.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what does everyone think on the icing potential? I am leaning towards it warming up faster than anticipated. Still, it only takes a half hour of zr to cause any untreated surface to be dangerous.

It usually warms faster in Allegheny County and south but I am not really sure about tomorrow morning. I was just out and that air is cold and the snow covered ground is hard as a rock. If I had my guess I would say that it warms up enough after daybreak to keep the roads wet but I think the sidewalks and snow covered ground areas will hold onto the ice longer. I don't think the trees and powerlines will be an issue. They usually aren't around here unless the air temp doesn't get above freezing but around here we usually go above freezing pretty quickly and it melts off.

I do remember 2 years ago we had a bad icing on a sunday morning which sent many people to the hospital after falling. Probably best to not go out until after 10:00 if you don't have to and stock up on salt.

Remind you, these are all just guesses of mine.

Butler County and Northeast...Now that's a different story.

Also, on the extended, another potential clipper comes down next weekend.

Very early but it could be another one similar to yesterdays.

TWC local forecast wants to downplay the ice, and warm temps quickly before rush hour.

I think the NWS has a better idea on what will happen overnight into rush hour.

i think the streets and secondary roads are gonna be bad tomorrow morning, I was out earlier and everything along the edges of the street was frozen.

I have one of those IR temp guns too.

Right now, the blacktop street and driveway read 30, the snow next to them reads 28. (Although I've never had complete faith in its accuracy, especially in matters of only a few degrees.)

I was thinking rather optimistically this afternoon about pavement temps, as the roads were clear and dry, and there was enough sun to make a difference. Given the forecast low tonight being only a few degrees below freezing, it might not take much to warm road surfaces to above freezing, either through WAA or daylight.

Q1Vk7S8.gif

DAY 2 CONVECTIVE OUTLOOK     NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   1130 AM CST TUE JAN 29 2013      VALID 301200Z - 311200Z      ...THERE IS A SLGT RISK OF SVR TSTMS FROM THE SERN STATES...OH   VALLEY INTO THE MID ATLANTIC REGION...      ...SYNOPSIS...      AXIS OF HIGH AMPLITUDE SYNOPTIC TROUGH SHOULD EXTEND FROM THE UPPER   MS VALLEY INTO THE SRN PLAINS EARLY WEDNESDAY. A VORT MAX EMBEDDED   WITHIN THE TROUGH IS FORECAST TO MOVE FROM THE MID MS VALLEY INTO   THE GREAT LAKES. WHILE SECONDARY VORT MAX WILL EJECT NEWD THROUGH   THE TN AND OH VALLEYS DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING. A 120+ KT   500 MB JET ACCOMPANYING THE UPPER TROUGH WILL DEVELOP ENEWD THROUGH   SERN STATES...OH VALLEY AND GREAT LAKES DURING THE DAY. PRIMARY SFC   LOW WILL INITIALLY BE SITUATED OVER THE GREAT LAKES WITHIN THE EXIT   REGION OF THE UPPER JET. THIS FEATURE WILL LIFT NEWD INTO SERN   CANADA...WHILE TRAILING COLD FRONT ADVANCES THROUGH THE SERN   STATES...REACHING THE NERN U.S. AND ATLANTIC SEABOARD LATE WEDNESDAY   NIGHT.         ...SERN U.S. THROUGH OH VALLEY AND MID ATLANTIC REGION...      PARTIALLY MODIFIED GULF AIR WILL HAVE ALREADY ADVECTED THROUGH THE   WARM SECTOR ALONG A VERY STRONG AND EXPANSIVE 65-75 KT SLY LLJ.   DEWPOINTS WILL RANGE FROM MID TO UPPER 60S OVER SRN PORTIONS OF THE   GULF COASTAL STATES TO UPPER 50S OR AROUND 60 FROM THE OH VALLEY   INTO THE MID ATLANTIC REGION. HOWEVER...INSTABILITY IS EXPECTED TO   REMAIN MARGINAL DUE TO WIDESPREAD CLOUDS AND WEAK LAPSE RATES.   MLCAPE SHOULD RANGE FROM AOB 800 J/KG OVER THE SERN STATES TO AOB   500 J/KG FARTHER NORTH ACROSS THE OH VALLEY AND MID ATLANTIC.       EXPANSIVE LINE OF STORMS WILL BE IN PROGRESS WEDNESDAY MORNING ALONG   AND JUST AHEAD OF COLD FRONT FROM THE OH VALLEY SWD THROUGH THE TN   AND LOWER MS VALLEY REGIONS POSING AN ONGOING SEVERE THREAT.   ACTIVITY WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE REMAINDER OF SERN STATES AND OH   VALLEY DURING THE DAY AND CAROLINAS TO MID ATLANTIC WEDNESDAY   EVENING AND OVERNIGHT. STORMS WILL BE  EMBEDDED WITHIN VERY STRONG   DEEP LAYER WIND PROFILES WITH EFFECTIVE SHEAR IN EXCESS OF 60 KT   ALONG WITH LARGE 0-1 KM HODOGRAPHS SUPPORTING THE LIKELIHOOD OF   EMBEDDED BOWING STRUCTURES...MESO-VORTICES AND SUPERCELLS. POTENTIAL   FOR LARGE SCALE ASCENT WITHIN UPPER JET ENTRANCE REGION AND WEAK CAP   SUGGEST A FEW DISCRETE SUPERCELLS MIGHT DEVELOP ALONG CONVEYOR BELT   AHEAD OF THE LINE...ESPECIALLY OVER A PORTIONS OF THE SERN STATES   WHERE HIGHER BOUNDARY LAYER DEWPOINTS AND INSTABILITY SHOULD RESIDE.   PRIMARY THREATS WILL BE DAMAGING WIND AND A FEW TORNADOES...WITH THE   GREATER TORNADO THREAT EXPECTED OVER THE SERN STATES. THE MARGINAL   THERMODYNAMIC ENVIRONMENT PRECLUDES AN UPGRADE TO A MODERATE RISK AT   THIS TIME...BUT AREA WILL CONTINUE TO BE EVALUATED.      ..DIAL.. 01/29/2013      CLICK TO GET WUUS02 PTSDY2 PRODUCT   NOTE: THE NEXT DAY 2 OUTLOOK IS SCHEDULED BY 0700Z   CURRENT UTC TIME: 1837Z (1:37PM), RELOAD THIS PAGE TO UPDATE THE TIME        

Love it!  Svr Watch in January... 

Severe Thunderstorm Watch 20

< Previous WW   Public (Test) | Counties | Probabilities | Aviation | Warnings | Initial RADAR  
ww0020_overview_wou.gif Hazard Tornadoes EF2+ Tornadoes Likelihood Low Very Low Severe Wind 65 kt+ Wind Moderate Moderate Severe Hail 2"+ Hail Very Low Very Low
Note: Click for Watch Status Reports.
   WOUS64 KWNS 301326   WOU0      BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED   SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 20   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   830 AM EST WED JAN 30 2013      SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 20 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 400 PM EST   FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS      MDC023-302100-   /O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0020.130130T1330Z-130130T2100Z/      MD    .    MARYLAND COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE      GARRETT                       OHC009-013-019-029-059-067-081-111-115-121-167-302100-   /O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0020.130130T1330Z-130130T2100Z/      OH    .    OHIO COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE      ATHENS               BELMONT             CARROLL                COLUMBIANA           GUERNSEY            HARRISON               JEFFERSON            MONROE              MORGAN                 NOBLE                WASHINGTON                   PAC003-005-007-019-051-059-063-125-129-302100-   /O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0020.130130T1330Z-130130T2100Z/      PA    .    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE      ALLEGHENY            ARMSTRONG           BEAVER                 BUTLER               FAYETTE             GREENE                 INDIANA              WASHINGTON          WESTMORELAND                 VAC021-035-071-077-155-173-185-197-640-750-302100-   /O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0020.130130T1330Z-130130T2100Z/      VA    .    VIRGINIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE      BLAND                CARROLL             GILES                  GRAYSON              PULASKI             SMYTH                  TAZEWELL             WYTHE                        VIRGINIA INDEPENDENT CITIES INCLUDED ARE      GALAX                RADFORD                      WVC001-007-009-013-015-017-019-021-025-029-033-041-047-049-051-   055-061-063-067-069-073-075-077-081-083-085-087-089-091-093-095-   097-101-103-105-107-109-302100-   /O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0020.130130T1330Z-130130T2100Z/      WV    .    WEST VIRGINIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE      BARBOUR              BRAXTON             BROOKE                 CALHOUN              CLAY                DODDRIDGE              FAYETTE              GILMER              GREENBRIER             HANCOCK              HARRISON            LEWIS                  MARION               MARSHALL            MCDOWELL               MERCER               MONONGALIA          MONROE                 NICHOLAS             OHIO                PLEASANTS              POCAHONTAS           PRESTON             RALEIGH                RANDOLPH             RITCHIE             ROANE                  SUMMERS              TAYLOR              TUCKER                 TYLER                UPSHUR              WEBSTER                WETZEL               WIRT                WOOD                   WYOMING                       ATTN...WFO...PBZ...RLX...RNK...

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

PAC003-125-WVC069-301530-

/O.NEW.KPBZ.SV.W.0003.130130T1451Z-130130T1530Z/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

951 AM EST WED JAN 30 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

SOUTHERN ALLEGHENY COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...

WASHINGTON COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...

SOUTHEASTERN OHIO COUNTY IN NORTHERN WEST VIRGINIA...

* UNTIL 1030 AM EST

* AT 949 AM EST...SEVERE SHOWERS WERE DETECTED ALONG A LINE

EXTENDING FROM IMPERIAL TO 6 MILES EAST OF AVELLA TO 8 MILES

SOUTHWEST OF CLAYSVILLE...AND WERE MOVING EAST AT 50 MPH. THIS LINE

OF SHOWERS IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60

MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

BURGETTSTOWN... AVELLA... FLORENCE...

CLAYSVILLE... IMPERIAL... MCDONALD...

OAKDALE... ENTERPRISE... CANONSBURG...

WASHINGTON... BRIDGEVILLE... CARNEGIE...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

ALTHOUGH THIS LINE OF SHOWERS IS NOT PRODUCING MUCH LIGHTNING...IT IS

STILL DANGEROUS. PREPARE FOR DAMAGING WIND GUSTS. MOVE INTO A STURDY

BUILDING AND AVOID WINDOWS.

PLEASE REPORT SEVERE WEATHER BY CALLING...412-262-1988...POSTING TO

THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOK PAGE...OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.

&&

LAT...LON 4028 7982 4002 8002 4003 8059 4018 8050

4048 8043 4052 7975

TIME...MOT...LOC 1450Z 270DEG 43KT 4047 8031 4028 8034

4005 8051

$$

WOODRUM

Archived