1 SW NEW STANTON 4.0 730 AM 3/06 CO-OP OBSERVER

2 E GREENSBURG 4.0 551 AM 3/06 TRAINED SPOTTER

1 N WHITNEY 4.0 550 AM 3/06 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 E IRWIN 3.5 552 AM 3/06 TRAINED SPOTTER

LATROBE 3.5 555 AM 3/06 PUBLIC

CHARLEROI 3.0 600 AM 3/06 CO-OP OBSERVER

SCOTTDALE 3.0 618 AM 3/06 SOCIAL MEDIA

CRABTREE 3.0 642 AM 3/06 SOCIAL MEDIA

Yeah I've seen the effects of banding even in widespread snow events back in Philly.  Right next to a heavy deform band there is almost no lift, so the snow is considerably lighter.  In those events (like 2010) you had places getting 20" of snow while a couple miles away, it would only be around half that.

Bands are great if you can get under them, but on the outside of them you're very much screwed.

Just some flurries now. Incredible storm for those in the favored areas.

I have to give props to the NWS. The forecast was pretty good despite models showing little happening in terms of qpf. I guess that trowal must have had something to do with it.

I only wish the storm would have wrapped some cold air in behind it to keep us cold for a day to enjoy it. Its already slowly melting. Roads that have been plowed are clearing up nicely as well. 

The scenery this morning was incredible. Ripping snow and everything was pasted thick.

Assuming this is our last snow of the season, I give this winter an A. One nice storm in Dec, followed by cold and light to moderate snows on a pretty regular basis capped off with a big hit.

I have to give props to the NWS. The forecast was pretty good despite models showing little happening in terms of qpf. I guess that trowal must have had something to do with it.

I only wish the storm would have wrapped some cold air in behind it to keep us cold for a day to enjoy it. Its already slowly melting. Roads that have been plowed are clearing up nicely as well. 

The scenery this morning was incredible. Ripping snow and everything was pasted thick.

Assuming this is our last snow of the season, I give this winter an A. One nice storm in Dec, followed by cold and light to moderate snows on a pretty regular basis capped off with a big hit.

Given MBY never received a storm over 5 inches, around 4 inches for this one, I give the winter a B. The 3 biggest storms all were between 4-5 inches. Bethel was progged to be in a better position than most for this storm yet that didn't materialize. Tons of minor events, but nothing memorable.

Congrats to you all. I've been reading a lot on the other forums going forward, and I find it hard to believe this will be the last for my beloved old stomping grounds, the Burgh, or up here in central PA. We have a decent cold spell incoming late next week with a storm chance March 16-20. That's completely doable given climo. 

Congrats to the winners today.  I don't think I can give NWS a good grade on the forecast; obviously the models were no help but I have to imagine some of the short-term models like the WRF/RUC at least hinted at dry-slotting.

As for the winter, well I gave it a D+ half-way and would probably stick with that grade now, although today's events may be contributing to a negative bias haha.  At the best a C.  A bunch of minor events, a nice stretch in February with some snow 5-6 days in a row (but it only added up to about 4" total).  It was better than last year, at least.

I'm lived in Morgantown for three years now and have to say the micro-climate makes it incredibly hard to forecast for down here.  That is evident in NWS Pitt's forecasts.  In the three years, I don't think they've had a forecast verify for us, and I'm not exaggerating.  Probably all but one storm has "busted" in terms of forecast--that is, totals have been less than the forecast minimum amount.  Hence the rule I established.

I guess I know what to expect out of winters down here now.  I've lived all over Pittsburgh area since 2004 but never got much into following winter storms until 2008, and I lived back home in Philly from 08-10.  Perhaps I just didn't know what to expect.

That all said, I'm now convinced this is where snow goes to die haha.  It probably has at least something to do with the location relative to the mountains.  Even when we seem to be in a favorable spot, for whatever reason it seems like at least one factor causes the downfall of the forecast.  Clearly NWS needs a Morgantown office--heck I'd volunteer to be the lone member haha.

Sadly I'll still keep an eye to the models for March as the next couple weeks look at least possible for something.  I thought this was our chance--for some it certainly was.  Maybe we'll get ours in two weeks, but obviously I'll stick to expectations based on historical evidence.

Our region seems to have been pretty lucky with this storm.

DC has turned back to rain and may get nothing and the rain line has moved into Frederick and Hagerstown Md. where they were expecting heavy snow today.

Right now the sun is shining and 39 degrees and the melting has already begun.

This may be the fasted biggest storm I have ever been involved with.

42 and sunny and beautiful to walk yesterday and last night it was still 39 at 10:00. (no precip til after midnight)

8 inches of snow overnight (That I slept through)

Then sunshine and 40 now. 

Wow!

Yeah pretty cool. Although you definately didnt want to sleep through this. As i was outside at 3:00 Am i was reminded why I do this. It wasnt the most impressive, but perhaps the most beautiful overnight snow i've seen. Was snowing 1" to 2" per hour of wet snow that was plastered on everything. And literally there was not a soul out.

Funny thing is the thread was kind of dead because i think those expecting the top end of the range didnt get the heavy bands, and those that did were expecting a pedestrian 3" to 5" snowfall and went to bed

Yeah pretty cool. Although you definately didnt want to sleep through this. As i was outside at 3:00 Am i was reminded why I do this. It wasnt the most impressive, but perhaps the most beautiful overnight snow i've seen. Was snowing 1" to 2" per hour of wet snow that was plastered on everything. And literally there was not a soul out.

Funny thing is the thread was kind of dead because i think those expecting the top end of the range didnt get the heavy bands, and those that did were expecting a pedestrian 3" to 5" snowfall and went to bed

I had a headache (probably from looking at models for hours lol) and took some Motrin before I layed down, turned out it was the PM version so I was knocked out. I woke up around 5:45 and it was ripping snow. So I am glad I got to watch it for a little bit. It had to be over 2 inch per hour rates at some point here last night as it was pretty much done with the heavy stuff by 7am and didn't start til after midnight.

It was a awesome scene with snow pasted on everything.

Just came inside from building snow creatures and sledding with my daughter. it feels balmy out there and the snow is melting fast. Too bad we didn't get a storm like this before one of those arctic outbreaks in Feb. If so, I bet more people would have cashed in on some snow.

Don't Know how much Shadyside got.

KPIT recorded 5" today. This storm was a weird storm.

The Jan 3-4 94 storm also had a snow gradient, where KPIT got 12 " and i got 30".

My elevation is 1001'.

Remember that 94 storm all too well. I picked up 27" from that one when I lived in Westmoreland County. Not the ridges either. With that storm, it snowed like it did last night, just for a longer period of time. I think Waynesburg picked up 33" from that one. I remember them saying they had the highest snow total of anyone in the country from that storm.

Left for work this morning w/a snow depth of 5"...I return home this evening to mainly bare spots...gotta love March.

Yeah, it melted fast yesterday. I had my daughter outside and I could almost see the pack shrink before my eyes lol. By evening 11 inches was reduced to about 3-4. Would have been nice to get this storm earlier in Feb with some cold air around.

Remember that 94 storm all too well. I picked up 27" from that one when I lived in Westmoreland County. Not the ridges either. With that storm, it snowed like it did last night, just for a longer period of time. I think Waynesburg picked up 33" from that one. I remember them saying they had the highest snow total of anyone in the country from that storm.

Don't Know how much Shadyside got.

KPIT recorded 5" today. This storm was a weird storm.

The Jan 3-4 94 storm also had a snow gradient, where KPIT got 12 " and i got 30".

My elevation is 1001'.

That storm is one of my favorites. Peak heavy snow at morning rush, people stuck on bridges. Stopped us Pittsburghers cold like we were a running back and it was Levon Kirkland. 

Archived