Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Potential major phasing event this weekend

forkyfork

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am supposed to fly out of here at 2 PM Sunday and return Monday evening. Sort of need this to go OTS or produce flight cancellations Sunday.

I'm supposed to be flying out on Tuesday morning on Jet Blue but I'm 1/6 actually flying on them as I've been canceled 4 times due to weather including the Boxing Day storm. With my luck it would figure this would happen!

12z CMC ensembles mean

with six days to go, to see that mean solution, it's tough to see right now the escape hatch idea holding sway for long. anything can happen of course, but i am getting more convinced that it's only a matter of 'how bad' and not 'if.'

should be a long, fun few days

The shortwave that eventually results in the best height falls and aids in the phase is not the strong lead vortmax, but the one that drops over the top of the E Pac ridge at 54 hr. While the initial vortmax helps to deamplify the height field a bit, the second one rips south and east on the Euro and more phased models and eventually captures the TC.

Loop for a better view (yes I know it's the NAM, but it can be used as an illustration in this case since it's similar to the Euro). Keep a close eye on the shortwave in the Pac NW at 54 hours and watch as it moves southeast.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/WRF_0z/wrfloop.html

The shortwave that eventually results in the best height falls and aids in the phase is not the strong lead vortmax, but the one that drops over the top of the E Pac ridge at 54 hr. While the initial vortmax helps to deamplify the height field a bit, the second one rips south and east on the Euro and more phased models and eventually captures the TC.

Loop for a better view (yes I know it's the NAM, but it can be used as an illustration in this case since it's similar to the Euro). Keep a close eye on the shortwave in the Pac NW at 54 hours and watch as it moves southeast.

http://www.meteo.psu...0z/wrfloop.html

yes its the second S/W we want the first to escape to the NE

No its not... its pretty weak looking

The issue is that now it's caught in between, because it's trended the ULL faster and farther east by a hair and the TC farther west. So it can't slide the TC east with the NF block now starting to go on steroids by 108 hr.

That block is huge because it essentially will both force the Central US energy towards the TC and stop the TC from moving E/NE.

But the GFS is being very stubborn

Definitely...i'm comparing it to the 12z run and it's almost useless to do so at this point because this run is hundreds of miles farther west with the TC and not even remotely close with the upper air pattern.

GFS is still stubborn, but the overall pattern looks better both west and east of it. It still may not be quite enough, but a better trend imo.

Center moves due east from 108 to 120...that's the difference between the Euro's energetic trof over the Central US sweeping down into the E US, and the GFS' more mundane version of it.

Yup... GFS sneaks Sandy out the side door just in time cause the trough is too weak to pull Sandy back in

Archived